Rescue blade on Massdrop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LDphifty

Rescue blade on Massdrop

Post by LDphifty »

I'm a new EMT and I'm gradually patching together my gear. Currently I'm carrying my Endura on duty and I can't see myself comfortably using it on calls due to it's tip. So I've decided to scratch together some cash for dedicated rescue blade.

I started up a Massdrop poll to try and get a group buy going on. I posted the majority of the options of better known blades, hoping that the Spyderco Assist would eventually win out. Unfortunately the BM Triage is running away with the poll. Probably because it has a more utilitarian blade shape. The Assist is currently at a very distant 2nd, despite being the superior option for this line of work.

If you are interested in an Assist at a group buy discount, here is the link. could use some support.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/rescue-se ... rer=77FR9U" target="_blank

Thanks guys,
Lou

PS. if this violates any of the rules against deal spotting/promoting, i apologize.
djjinksy

Re: Rescue blade on Massdrop

Post by djjinksy »

Per Sal, I'll be a nice guy and not be too negative toward the Triage... But honestly, it looks like a standard knife plus a gut hook. I'll also fully admit that I'm biased toward Spydie products :D . That said, the Spyderco Assist has a no-slip-grip that won't fall out of your hand under pressure, a blunted tip so you won't stab your patients, more finger grips on the spine of the blade so you can squeeze-cut through thick items, and a protruding carbide point for punching windows. Unlike the Triage, the Assist was built from the ground up specifically for you and your needs. Regardless what your mass price works out to be, you're going to be a happier, healthier, more effective EMT with a Spyderco in your pocket!
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
LDphifty

Post by LDphifty »

if i could have only 1 blade for both on and off duty, the triage would be appealing. but that isnt the case. i also carry a rescue hook already, making an integrated hook useless bulk. If the Triage wins out i'll probably pass and look for a good retail price on an Assist. just trying to save a few bucks here and there.

Thanks for the input
Lou
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

I purchased a leather belt from massdrop and I'm still waiting 2 months later.
LDphifty

Post by LDphifty »

thats odd. i've never had a problem. in fact i placed an order 2 weeks ago for a penlight and it arrived yesterday. and they updated me 3 or 4 times during that period on the status of my package. what did they say/do when you contacted them about it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The ASSIST 1 model would be great for most first responder type cutting chores>> however I like all of the VG-10 and ATS-55 Rescue models that Spyderco made. One of my personal favorites was the stainless Rescue model from back in the ATS-55 era. The Stainless handled Rescue was truly one of the most ridgid folders Spyderco ever made IMO.

A VG-10 Dyad would also be a great choice because with that model you have 2 blades>> one being a sheepfoot, fully serrated blade with a slight belly to it which makes it a very aggressive cutter when needing to cut or sever something in a hurry. The VG-10 Dyad also has a really well designed clip point, plain edged blade as well. It is the best 2 bladed folder I've ever owned or used.

Also check out all of the models in the H-1 Salt Series that Spyderco offers. There are some great blades in that group that would be very suitable for your line of work. Let us know what you decide on and how it works for you. JD