Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chum

Re: Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by Chum »

Ankerson wrote:Mine was .018" ave out of the box and .020" after setting the bevel for testing etc...
Laethageal wrote:Cliff just rated his at about 0.010 to 0.012 out of the box.
Those are impressively thin for a non-custom. Nice!
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Did I miss Cliff's post on his evaluation of the K2?
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

I also tried finding his review but no luck.
Would like to see Phil Wilson's review as well : )
Regardless, I could no longer hold out and picked one up locally.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I just got mine in the mail today, which is pretty quick considering I didn't pay for express to Canada. First impression I had was: "That thing is a beast!"
It also is the first out of the 7 spydies I bought that shave without feeling toothy on the skin, out of the box. What is weird is that it won't push cut printer paper and even sometimes grab it when slicing it. I find it weird because both my SB LB and SB Stretch will slice the same paper without grabbing with their current used edge but they will not shave 1/5th as well as the K2.

As some noted, the lock goes far and sticks a little but it should break in with use. It is by far my knife which locks with the most authority and I don't fear the lock will fail anytime soon.

I'll play with it next week to give you a full review.

I can say without a doubt, great job Farid!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Laethageal wrote:"That thing is a beast!"
That's _exactly_ what I thought when I took mine out of the box.

Amazingly overbuilt. I love it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Been carrying mine since I completed the testing, it carries just like a Military in pocket, nice and flat. :cool:

So if one likes the Military they should like the K2 also. :spyder:
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Never warmed to the military but carrying this thing around the house. It makes me giddy for some reason. : )
Currently 10v in the right pocket and some 3v (Tuff) in the left. Trying to cover the whole max edge retention max toughness thing. Hahaha!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I got one today. The initial reaction is comical, like it should have ACME stamped on the side! It's nice to use, the handle doesn't feel as wide as I'd imagined. I love the thinness behind the edge. My lock is sticky, but it doesn't concern me.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I got my K2 in today finally! Ordered from Howes and it took a bit longer than usual but after getting this in hand, it's worth the wait!

Also my last two purchases from HKS I have received a complimentary Spydie Pewter Bead, my CF S110V Native was the round bead and this time around was the Square bead + lanyard. Nice little surprise in my box every time! It's made start putting lanyards on my knives now!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice! I'm trying to wait patiently for mine to crawl across the U.S. for the last week... Should be here tomorrow evening! No free bead for me though :(
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Invective wrote:I got my K2 in today finally! Ordered from Howes and it took a bit longer than usual but after getting this in hand, it's worth the wait!

Also my last two purchases from HKS I have received a complimentary Spydie Pewter Bead, my CF S110V Native was the round bead and this time around was the Square bead + lanyard. Nice little surprise in my box every time! It's made start putting lanyards on my knives now!
Got mine from HKS today as well. The bead and lanyard were a nice surprise.

This knife feels surprisingly light and carries surprisingly well for a 10" folder. I agree with Jim, if you like carrying a Military then you'll probably like carrying the K2. The upswept blade shape makes me think of a kind of folding Southfork.

My only nitpick is that the lock is a bit sticky. Overall a very impressive knife. Hats off tp Farid and Spyderco for this one.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

A couple of comparison shots:

The K2 blade really dwarfs the PM2 blade:

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Nice comparison shots thanks.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Ankerson wrote:Mine was .018" ave out of the box and .020" after setting the bevel for testing etc...
I just checked mine and had the same result, .018" out of the box.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I was wondering how far on the bevel you guys took your measurements?
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Senorsquare, I love the comparison shots, especially of the open Techno to the closed K2!
The Para2 closed doesn't look that much smaller than the K2 closed, but the difference is dramatic when open.
Very nice!
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Just got mine, and this thing really is a beast, yet it doesn't handle like one really. I have only done a few open/closings and I love it. It also fits in the pocket very comfortably and you don't notice it. The lock is a bit stiff, but like the Navaja it just sort of needs to be approached differently. I have yet to play around and find the sweet spot, but it is nothing I am going to complain about.

This thing is a tank, and a sleek and sexy one at that. Well done Farid!
san-mai-usa

Post by san-mai-usa »

Mine is due any day now, but won't be able to get "family shots" with my other K2's till I get back home.
Definitely plan to get two though, one as a keeper and one as a user. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

chuckd wrote:Just got mine, and this thing really is a beast, yet it doesn't handle like one really. I have only done a few open/closings and I love it. It also fits in the pocket very comfortably and you don't notice it. The lock is a bit stiff, but like the Navaja it just sort of needs to be approached differently. I have yet to play around and find the sweet spot, but it is nothing I am going to complain about.

Chuck, would you say it rides in the pocket closely to that of the Military due to its "thinness"? Thanx man
Invective

Post by Invective »

MacLaren wrote:
chuckd wrote:Just got mine, and this thing really is a beast, yet it doesn't handle like one really. I have only done a few open/closings and I love it. It also fits in the pocket very comfortably and you don't notice it. The lock is a bit stiff, but like the Navaja it just sort of needs to be approached differently. I have yet to play around and find the sweet spot, but it is nothing I am going to complain about.

Chuck, would you say it rides in the pocket closely to that of the Military due to its "thinness"? Thanx man
Not Chuck, but I have carried a Millie frequently and been carrying this since I got it, the K2 rides similar but it is bigger, both in length and in width/height so it takes up more space in pocket. You definitely won't be forgetting you're carrying it that's for sure.