Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
faridknives

Re: Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by faridknives »

darkangel55555 wrote:[quote="faridknives"][quote="ManixFan"][quote="faridknives"]

That is pretty cool! It's like a K2 Mehr.....and a mini-Mehr. Doctor Evil would approve! :D

What are the different blade sizes between the custom and the production? As well as the overall open & closed length? Do you think that the smaller version will ever end up as production?

Also, I am curious and perhaps you might be able to answer this question since you are open to using lesser known alloys in knifemaking. But is there any reason why people aren't using 9v steel for blades?

It looks like it has a lot better edge retention than 3v yet is a lot tougher than 10v. Is there a reason that it isn't being used in knives? It seems to me like a very tough steel with still very great edge retention would be desirable in knife making but I haven't seen it used in any knives at all.......only the characteristics from the CPM data sheets.

Perhaps (likely) I am missing something in not understanding why we don't see this steel in knives? :confused:
[/quote]

Spyderco version is the same size as the custom, same blade length, same closed length.
The small K2 as far as the custom version goes I will release that in 2015, Spyderco version I can not give any info right now.
9V is good as well, K390 is kind of similar with more carbon more moly with the added 1% Tungsten and added 2% Cobalt.
10v is not tougher that 3v, CPM-3v is in the extreme when it comes to toughness, it can be heat-treated to 62RC and it would actually be tougher than most heat-treated steels on the planet (for knife application), CPM-4v is the next best thing after CPM-3v.

You don't often see some of the steels I use because most people just want to make a knife, that's all, I want more than that from my knives, also my experiments don't always work as well as I would like them to, for example the CPM-REX 121 blades I have made although it is a high carbide steel but it was never made for knives, it is a 'Tooling Steel' but I experimented with it and it kind of worked for 'Knife Application' and it kind of didn't but we all have to experiment, live and learn from all our experiments.

CPM-10v on the other hand is one of the ultimate steels for knife application. I hope I have answered all your questions.
F[/quote][/size]

Farid, what're your intended applications and performance characteristics for the D3 K2, and how would it stack up against a 4V equivalent? Or, to bring it back to topic, the 10V used here?

In other news, my REX121 K2 isn't keeping itself 'indefinitely sharp' like how Cliff and Jim have described. Guess my cardboard isn't hard enough - or the steel pipe that it gets dragged across is rolling that edge first.[/quote]

I use D3 because it is better than D2, holds a very good edge but provided you know how to heat-treat it well it also can be tough enough which is why I still use it for BladeSports knives.
D3 compared to CPM-4v, well you can not, 4v is a lot better steel and the composition will show that, it also is in a totally different price category, D3 is not CPM but 4v is. CPM-10v is on a different planet compared to both these steels, for a while they will all cut well, after a while you will see the difference in the 10v, this is one of the reasons I chose CPM-10v for the production version of my K2, I wanted to give the best steel to all the users, a steel grade which holds an edge far greater than most steels without question, it takes the worry of sharpening out of the equation when you are away for a long time and away from your sharpening stones.
The REX 121 is like I have said before more suited for Tooling industry but I wanted to experiment with it, experience has now proven that it is an extremely capable steel for what it was designed for (Tooling ) but as a knife blade it can only hold a semi-sharp edge, same as CPM-15v, same as CPM-s125v, these are my findings after using all these steels.
I hope I have answered your questions.
F
Last edited by faridknives on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

[quote="darkangel55555"]

Farid, what're your intended applications

Cutting
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Any chance of getting a picture of this knife in pocket?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

chuckd wrote:Any chance of getting a picture of this knife in pocket?
I'll see if I can take a pic after I get home later tonight.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

rodloos wrote:
chuckd wrote:Any chance of getting a picture of this knife in pocket?
I'll see if I can take a pic after I get home later tonight.
Awesome, Thanks!! With such a large knife I am curious how it rides.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Here's a few pics of my K2. I resized all my pics to 1024 on the long edge, so hopefully they will show correctly in the new forum software.

In-pocket:

Next to my Ti Military:

Mmmmm, titanium goodness :D

Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

rodloos wrote: Mmmmm, titanium goodness :D

That's an awesome Ti collection you've got!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Seeing it next to the military makes me realize the this is a Big F---ing Knife! I am really on the fence on this one. Everything about the K2 screams "Buy me!!!" and I really want one, but I just don't have a need for such a huge folder. I rarely carry anything larger than 3" blade these days, but this beast is still tempting me...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Your pics are still getting cut off for me.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Your pics are still getting cut off for me.
They look fine on the computer, but everybody's pics get cut off on my handheld devices.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

rodloos wrote:Here's a few pics of my K2. I resized all my pics to 1024 on the long edge, so hopefully they will show correctly in the new forum software.

In-pocket:
Thanks rodloos! The discussion of this knife here, especially with Farid's input has caused me to order one. The torture is that I have to wait until next August to carry it in my wedding! At least I get to fondle it!

Also, your collection of Titanium knives has me extremely envious, I love titanium and it is my goal to collect as many Ti spydies as I can. You are an inspiration sir!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

rodloos wrote: Mmmmm, titanium goodness :D
Wow...

That's quite a few gourmet pizzas... :)

Conservative estimate is 400+ when converted into my currency. That's not even taking shipping or tax into account :eek: :D

That's 2 pizzas per week for almost 4 years. :cool:

Sorry for the hijack, carry on... Who cares about pizza anyway...
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
haarspalter

Post by haarspalter »

are there any issues with the lock engaging too late. .. will there be a steel insert in the future?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Late lockup is not necessarily a bad thing if it's intended. In fact, many makers prefer it, especially on a hard use folder. An untreated lock face will wear over time (because Ti is softer than steel) but one that is treated should stay put or only move a very small amount. I think many people fear framelocks and liner locks because they've seen cheaper knives either fail on them or wear completely. Flippers will be opened and closed far more, but we haven't seen issues with Spydy Southards wearing too far over on the forum.
haarspalter

Post by haarspalter »

well, i guess i have to get me one of them!
Chum

Post by Chum »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, and I missed it, but how thin does Spyderco intend to grind this knife? If numbers aren't available, how about a comparison? Thinner/thicker than a ffg Delica? Thinner/thicker than a Caly 3?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Chum wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned, and I missed it, but how thin does Spyderco intend to grind this knife? If numbers aren't available, how about a comparison? Thinner/thicker than a ffg Delica? Thinner/thicker than a Caly 3?
Ankerson has some spine shots compared to a Military. It's certainly thicker than a Delica or Caly.
Chum

Post by Chum »

Blerv wrote:
Chum wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned, and I missed it, but how thin does Spyderco intend to grind this knife? If numbers aren't available, how about a comparison? Thinner/thicker than a ffg Delica? Thinner/thicker than a Caly 3?
Ankerson has some spine shots compared to a Military. It's certainly thicker than a Delica or Caly.
I'm not as interested in the spine thickness as I am with the thickness behind the edge.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Chum wrote:
Blerv wrote:
I'm not as interested in the spine thickness as I am with the thickness behind the edge.

Mine was .018" ave out of the box and .020" after setting the bevel for testing etc...
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Cliff just rated his at about 0.010 to 0.012 out of the box.