Some Observations on Corrosion: Cruwear, VG10, SB

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strong-Dog

Re: Some Observations on Corrosion: Cruwear, VG10, SB

Post by Strong-Dog »

Well, another full blooded Italian here who sweats more than most people. I also never thought of this until you guys brought it up. Nice pics BTW
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I guess no steel is 100% rust proof and our sweat can be extremely corrosive.

I have seen pitting on my cpm s35vn.

I have a watch that is badly eaten up.

Honestly my next blade will be coated dlc or h1 or EDCing I find myself in harsh environments often enough.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Thanks Strong Dog, if I take enough pictures eventually I get lucky. Thank goodness for digital!
bornagainprimative wrote:I guess no steel is 100% rust proof and our sweat can be extremely corrosive.

I have seen pitting on my cpm s35vn.

I have a watch that is badly eaten up.

Honestly my next blade will be coated dlc or h1 or EDCing I find myself in harsh environments often enough.
I'll be getting a couple more H1 models too for fishing and special circumstances like this, but for the most part what I learned is that a little bit of care goes a long way. Minimizing direct contact with sweat helped a lot (inside my waistband vs pocket), and it's pretty simple and intuitive. Of course oil is always a good idea, but even without it it wasn't hard to keep a non stainless steel like Cruwear from rusting to the point of pitting. Tend to it soon enough and any rust will just wipe off with a little metal polish. Every blade I've had pit was because the corrosive agent sat on the blade for too long (hours) before I took the time out of my busy day to wipe it off :rolleyes: . Now I'm beginning to see that the user may have more of an effect than the steel itself.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

It's a learning experience forsure coming from using coated Garbo blades I rarely saw any of it cause I'd just sharpen off the edge where there was corrosion forming. I guess I mostly didn't think of carig for the whole blade honestly. Not that it's bad or anything but now I coat with whatever's around mineral oil/olive oil/grape seed oil. No issues but lots of learning.