A great visit to Golden

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bakergh

A great visit to Golden

Post by bakergh »

So I took the time while on a trip to Denver, CO to drive out to Golden and visit the Factory Outlet. I was looking forward to handling a lot of knives and picking one up as a souvenir when I got there. Gail Glesser was in the show room and though I hadn't met her before she introduced herself to me we got to talking.

I showed her the knife I was carrying (a manix xl s90v) and mentioned that it was the same knife I had used to cut my son's umbilical cord 5 months ago. She gave me a look and said, "So you're the guy." She then gifted my oldest son a glow-in-the-dark delica knife kit.

Then, after a few minutes Sal came out to pilfer the candy dish near the register and she made him come over to meet me as "The guy who cut his kid's umbilical cord with a knife". So I took advantage and got a pic with him too. I'm holding up the Manix XL I used on the cord in the picture.

A little while later, after they had gone back to work, Gail came back out with water bottles and handed water out to all the shoppers in the store. Very Cool experience overall and that was just one of the many positive experiences I've had with Spyderco since I bought my first one a couple years ago.

Finally here's me with my newest knife, a Native s110v Carbon Fiber. It was the last one they had. (Though someone said they should be stocking more soon)

My son built the knife kit as soon as I got it home (mostly by himself). It's a really cool kit and he carries it with him all the time now. I'll post a pic as soon as I can get one uploaded.

As for my new Native, it's size and ergos are excellent and really fill a hole in my collection as I don't have anything in that size range yet. I'm also glad I got to leave the factory with something that was made there and I got my first knife with s110v, so there couldn't have been a better conclusion to that trip.

Thanks Sal and Gail!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

KOOL!! And Congrats!! Looks like a good time was had by all!! Thanks for sharing!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's a pretty amazing story. I made the same trek earlier this year but didn't get a chance to meet Sal or anything. You're a lucky feller.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

That's a really cool story! Thanks for sharing!
DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome story! Sounds like you had an amazing day
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Now that's just fantastic to see. Very happy for you.
Spyderco really is the best.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Thanks for sharing. Question: do they still sell holes?
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

It looks like you had a great visit. Nice picture with Sal and Gail - that is rather special. And thank you for the photos in general. I've never seen any of the inside of the factory outlet. It looks like a very nice place. Mike
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Congrats on the purchase and sounds like a fun trip. I didn't expect to love the Native, I just got one because it was the forum knife, but the design definitely rocks. It's that just-right Delica size, but with a bit more heft and class to it. I pocket it often.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Thanks for sharing your experience...both of your knives pictured are fantastic and the stories going along with them make them really unique. Looks like a fun trip.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

What a nice story!
:) I guess there isn't any Spyderco Showroom anywhere that could possibly beat Golden's. :D
Stay Sharp!
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Stories like this just confirm Spyderco's commitment to excellence and customer service. Thanks for sharing.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

That's awesome! As a Canadian Knife user and enthusiast who sought out spyderco for their great value and quality it's nice to know what stand up quality people are behind the blades.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. Cool thread. I especially like the "so you're the guy" part. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is a great story! Kind of like Charlie going to the fabled chocolate factory. Good times! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Great story and what great timing that the Glessers were there to meet you! Jealous!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Cool man, congratulations! great pictures and of course great Knife, I would like to meet all of them someday its on my bucket list.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
sodak

Post by sodak »

That's great! I need to get down there more often, I'm only 15 miles up the road. Do they still have the 9/11 stand there?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you so very much for the wonderful story and the great pictures. I am so happy that you had an enjoyable time. Thank you, Sal and Gail!
Ned

Post by Ned »

Congrats on the new knife and the experience! This summer my son and I made the trip down to Golden, we had a similar experience. We got to meet Sal and Gail and Eric too. Such a great company, very nice people, we just had a great time there.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13