Favorite Military Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite rendition of the C36 Military in terms of the steel?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:56 pm

ATS-34
1%
CPM 440V
6%
S30V
15%
BG-42
6%
CPM-D2
2%
CPM-S90V
18%
CPM-M4
11%
CTS-XHP
No votes
M390
22%
Cru-Wear
18%

Total votes: 82

Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Bg42 because i like the song rock lobster by tbe b-52s, a band which bg42 reminds me of.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Cheddarnut wrote:Bg42 because i like the song rock lobster by tbe b-52s, a band which bg42 reminds me of.
My favorite from them is Love Shack hehehe

"I got me a car, it's as (Love getaway) big as a whale
And we're headin' on down to the (Love getaway) Love Shack
I got me a Chrysler, it (Love getaway) seats about 20
So hurry up and bring your jukebox money "
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Tough call as I'd be happy with any. My vote isn't worth too much because there are a few in there I haven't even tried, but whatever. I went with s30v. Yeah, I know that's boring because it's the standard steel but I find s30v to be a great balance between wear resistance and sharpenability. (That's what I'm calling it whether it's a real word or not)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As I said in another unrelated post, the only thing wrong with s30v is that it isn't s110v lol. Really it's a great steel though, does exactly what you ask of it and I agree it's a great all around do it all steel. My thoughts on this topic is that I don't really need a ton of toughness in a blade of this style, so I opt for the highest wear resistance and best slicing steel I can get. If this topic were about the Tuff or Bushcraft etc my answer would definitely be different. I go with the steel I think suits the knife and its best application. To me it doesn't make sense to use a high toughness steel in a blade that leans more towards slicing, but I guess that may just say something about my personal uses. I would use a Tuff in very different ways than I would a Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

...you made some very solid points David...

...but there's only one good way to investigate their validity...

...now if we only had an s110v Military for field testing... ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'd rather have more m4 Millie's before s90v or s110v but I'm probably in the minority on that. I want more m4 ANYTHING!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Cpm M40v
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Ease of sharpening is important for this knife in particular. While I don't own a Military, I do have it's younger brother the PM2. S30v is no slouch of a steel but I voted for M4 based on toughness and ease of sharpening.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

BG-42. It's a classic, just like the Mili.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Surfingringo wrote:I'd rather have more m4 Millie's before s90v or s110v but I'm probably in the minority on that. I want more m4 ANYTHING!

So would I!
Hold Fast

David
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

paladin wrote:I think you might have something there...

Only way to remedy the "problem" that I can see is to convince Sal to commit to a LARGE sprint run of M390 Millies...

C'mon Sal do it in the name of science...we gotta even the odds to get an authentic sampling...ain't that right Cliff?
Why M390? Its already been done on the Millie platform..

Why not move up rather than sideways?

IMO a K294/K390 or 10V/15V Millie would be the way to go..even though it would be several years out but maybe someday well see a Maxamet Millie..

A S110V millie would be nice to but in day to day use I can't hardly tell any difference between S90V and S110V..
paladin

Post by paladin »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Why M390? Its already been done on the Millie platform..

Why not move up rather than sideways?

IMO a K294/K390 or 10V/15V Millie would be the way to go..even though it would be several years out but maybe someday well see a Maxamet Millie..

A S110V millie would be nice to but in day to day use I can't hardly tell any difference between S90V and S110V..
I am with you, brother...

Onward & Upward...

But back to the poll / thread...What's your favorite EXITSTING incarnation of the Millie in terms of the steel?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
bh49

Post by bh49 »

After reading the thread I change my mind and will vote for M390. This is the only Military in my possession, which I consider to use, if I ever need, which is not a bad reason, considering all other reasons above
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:After reading the thread I change my mind and will vote for M390. This is the only Military in my possession, which I consider to use, if I ever need, which is not a bad reason, considering all other reasons above
To me, it was close: S90V, M390, M4. I was also sentimentally tempted to vote for 440V/S60V, since I've got a full Spyderedge Military with that. Since I don't have a PE version, though, it's hard to really compare.

I voted S90V, but my favorite Military is M390, so maybe that says something about how I should have voted? :rolleyes:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Cruwear is the only military I own. It got my vote.
Likewise.

I wouldn't mind trying out another steel in the Military, but I doubt I ever will. Cruwear has performed very well for me and this knife is definitely in my top 3.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:I'd rather have more m4 Millie's before s90v or s110v but I'm probably in the minority on that. I want more m4 ANYTHING!
I wouldn't say more than 110 but I would definitely be happy to see a production M4 Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

S90V by far with my current stable of Military model steels.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

PayneTrain wrote:Likewise.

I wouldn't mind trying out another steel in the Military, but I doubt I ever will. Cruwear has performed very well for me and this knife is definitely in my top 3.
Really, the S30V blades are very, very strong performers. They suffer only when compared to real super-alloys. But just about any Military would be in my top three.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JNewell wrote:To me, it was close: S90V, M390, M4. I was also sentimentally tempted to vote for 440V/S60V, since I've got a full Spyderedge Military with that. Since I don't have a PE version, though, it's hard to really compare.

I voted S90V, but my favorite Military is M390, so maybe that says something about how I should have voted? :rolleyes:
I hope that I am not hurting your feelings, but this is funny :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am surprised at the results up to this point. I think the recent release of the Cruwear in conjunction with the current frequent users could attribute to it being #1. The results also surprise me with M390 currently in second ahead of even S90V and M4. Furthermore, it blows me away to see BG-42 (my current favorite) and 440V (my #3) holding a respectable percentage of the vote. The most shocking of the data present above is how the D2 and XHP Militarys are both without a single vote. These were very popular sprints, however this could have been attributed to the "Sprint Factor" and it's rarity that demand the high prices on the secondary market. Is anyone else surprised by this data? Obviously letting this poll go for a month could reveal significantly different results. Great Poll and Thread paladin.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*