Thoughts on the gray Delica 4 FFG

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Thoughts on the gray Delica 4 FFG

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Folks.

I finally did it. I bought a new Delica 4 FFG to replace the old model Delica. The old model did not have liners and was not full flat ground. It also did not fit my XL hand very well. I had not bothered to replace it because I love the Caly 3 so much I did not see the point (no pun intended. Well, maybe not). But, I had a need for a light weight knife with a blade longer than 2.25" and less than 3" that did not cost an arm and a leg in case it was lost. I also wanted a good knife with good steel and good craftsmanship. In my opinion, Spyderco is now building the best knives they have ever built, based on quality. They rival, and even excel, more costly production and custom offerings by rivals.
I found what I was looking for in the Delica 4 FFG, in spades! The knife arrived very sharp. It would not pass my toilet paper test, but almost. It is very sharp. The fit and finish are excellent, as expected. There are no hotspots on the knife at all. I took off the clip and this knife is so comfortable in my XL hand I wondered why I ever bought that Mini-Griptilian years ago. O yeah, then I remembered, the Delica 4 was not available. When I put my hand naturally on the handle, the end is just barely inside my hand. That is, my pinky finger extends minimally past the handle. Also, the finger groove point hits my middle finger right in the center. However, if I squish my fingers together and tighten my grip, these go away and rather than dig into my finger, the high point of the finger groove pulls my hand deeper into the grip. Pretty amazing.

The knife is almost the same size as my Caly 3 but the handle is slightly longer. The Caly 3 actually fits my hand better because of the finger choil. But, the Delica is much lighter and feels great in the hand.

Since I got it, I have been looking for things to cut. I cut tape. I cut open boxes. I scraped stickers off of bottles. I cut bags and clam shell plastic, aggravating, developed to make a saint cuss, packages. It did all of this with aplomb. I also cut apples. I did a side to side comparison if cutting between Spyderco Chaparral, Caly 3, Cold Steel Mini Recon 1, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Benchmade Mini Landslide, and this knife. Not all knives will cut apples well. I may post photos later. The Delica 4 FFG was nearly, not quite, but nearly on par with the Caly 3.

There is no, zero, play in the blade. The knife will flex a little side to side but not much, and some may think that is play. It is not. It is the thin stock and scales flexing under pressure, at least on my example. There is zero up and down blade play. There is, however, just slight bit of up movement when the knife is pressed with pressure onto a cutting board. None of my other, many, Spyderco lock backs have this play. It does not affect the performance, it is just something unique to this design.

For what I needed, this knife is really nice and met all of my needs. Now my wife wants one in purple! It is a good thing Spyderco does not offer second mortgages, or they would own my house.

Doc
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

That exact knife is what started my Spydie obsession. It's a phenomenal little workhorse that disappears in the pocket until needed, and it gets pocket time despite the many other "higher end" spydies I now have. Great choice!

Now we just need to talk about getting you some better bourbon.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ha! Better Bourbon is very, very expensive here as it is not halal. But, if you want to ship me some... :)

I love how flat the knife is and how it simply does not show in your pocket, so I am with you on that. It feels great in my hand, even though my wife says I have King Kong hands.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I did not notice your location, I apologize. Better doesn't always mean more expensive (in the US at least). Elmer T Lee single barrel can be found here for $30 a bottle (similar to beam) and is just outstanding. It's hard to find in stock, of course, but I just think about it like the PM2 of bourbons. Unfortunately, unlike PM2s, you run out of bourbon periodically. I have no idea what sending one to you would involve, but I'd do my best for a fellow D4 lover.
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

I too love the delica 4. It was my first spyderco, and still my favorite for edc in town. It looks innocent so sheeple don't freak out, but it is still 3" of razor sharp steel. Mine is my "pocket scalpel" and excels at mundane everyday use. It looks innocent, but I'd have no qualms using it for self defense either. That sharp 3" blade will cut to the bone! I think it's one of spyderco's most iconic offerings, and hope they offer it forever!
DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Been using the same blade at work all morning love it I forget I have it on me. My lock up is tight also and no play. I remember back in the day when I first started getting into knives (2008 is back in the day for me) people would always tell me to get a delica and I resisted for years. A knock off buck, two SAKs homemade shanks and a blackhawk I just now see the value I missed.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

I just recieved my FFG Delica in orange yesterday. Amazing. Thin blade and very nice finished. It cuts very well and weighs nothing. I will put a coarse edge on it tomorrow or so. The factory edge was very sharp and held up quite well.

Congrats to a great knife :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Love mine. Thin blade, ss liners, lightweight, ffg and four way clip. Just terrific. Three of my coworkers carry ffg delica 4s and they all seem to really like them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

How about you folks posting pictures?

I am really loving this knife. I used it to prep meat for the cooker. I washed it first, of course.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Quite enjoying the gray Endura I procured as well :) Like you Doc, Workmanship/quality is superb :D . Spyderco and their makers are doing a very good job :) I have to believe the Endura and Delica are made by the same maker.

Hope You're enjoying the SuperBlue steel, sweet edges when you want and holds them well :D
Attachments
endurapingocento.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Enjoy it. I love the gray ones.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Image

Very nice! I love that Superblue! Mine is VG-10. But I am a BIG fan of carbon steel blades on knives. You are very fortunate.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

dbcad wrote:Quite enjoying the gray Endura I procured as well :) Like you Doc, Workmanship/quality is superb :D . Spyderco and their makers are doing a very good job :) I have to believe the Endura and Delica are made by the same maker.

Hope You're enjoying the SuperBlue steel, sweet edges when you want and holds them well :D
Mine is VG-10. I would have preferred Superblue on the Delica 4, but I did not find one. I love carbon steel.
Nice knives. I also have a Pingo. It is my favorite Slipit.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

tvenuto wrote:That exact knife is what started my Spydie obsession. It's a phenomenal little workhorse that disappears in the pocket until needed, and it gets pocket time despite the many other "higher end" spydies I now have. Great choice!

Now we just need to talk about getting you some better bourbon.
Thanks for the offer. The bottle would get broken and I am not certain about the taxes. But, when I come home again, I will stock up!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

one of my favorite quotes regarding booze comes from MMA fighter Forrest Griffin, "beer is an acquired taste, you might as well acquire a taste for a cheap one". Same could apply to bourbon I suppose. Bourbon is on the list of booze I can't even smell now because of throwing it up too many times in college. More for the rest of you to enjoy I suppose...