Do old style Spyderco knives ever come back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Lol I get the mythology behind the Phoenix. You got me excited though as I thought you knew something about a sprint.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Sometimes there seems to be a lot of clamoring for a certain knife to return, but when it does the sales don't materialize - whether it be different tastes of how it "should" have come back, or the price point needing to be raised for current economic conditions putting people off, or whatever.

The Catcherman made a return as a USN-sponsored version (Usual Suspect Network forum, not US Navy - black H1 blade, "toxic" green handle) and I was really surprised how long it took for them to sell out, given the amount of clamoring I had seen for their return. I did my part to help Spyderco not be stuck with slow-moving stock, and bought 2, then later when they were still available bought a 3rd :) .

I had heard a lot of talk about the Calypso, but it too seemed to be available for a long time after its return as a Sprint run.

Not that every knife needs to sell out instantly, that sure adds to my stress until I get my copy :) .

If the Spyderhawk ever comes back I'll be sure to grab some backups. It's good that the Tasman is available, but sometimes the extra size of the Spyderhawk is nice.

I probably *should* sign up for a collector's club number to make sure I get all of the models, but that is a pretty hefty $$ commitment, and there are some models that don't appeal to me that much, but I wouldn't like the hassle of trying to sell them.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah that was great!! We have our good Brother Clovisc to thank for that one. Haven't heard from him lately either I hope he is doing well. Also the reincarnation of the Spyderhawk in H-1 steel sold much better than the original VG-10 model from back in 2003. I just hope we can get another G-10 Harpy back in production again. And we have a lot of people sabre rattling over that one.

I think what this Brother is wondering is if older models are coming back exactly the same as when they were discontinued>> I'm pretty sure that's what he is asking us. But to me that would just be stupid in most cases because if the model was a good one then why wouldn't you use a better steel and handle material. That's why I personally like most Sprint runs because they are usually an improvement over the old/original model.

Interesting subject to discuss but I want to see knives evolve into something better than the original myself.
The H1 Superhawk is pretty phenomenal...I'd sure like to see the Harpy given the "Salt" treatment. By that I mean titanium handles and either an H1 or LC 200 N blade in Spyderedge, either in backlock or ceramic BBL. I need a SE Tasman to accompany my recently purchased Spyderhawk.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The C54 came back, but it was greatly changed from the original. The weight gain alone would explain the slow sales in my mind. As for the USN Catcherman, I'd have liked to have one, but I'm not a member there and I'm not about to join another forum just to buy a knife. I'm not that fond of black blades, either. Sometimes the "improvements" of the Sprint runs are deal-breakers for me. When Sal was talking about the SpyderHawk he said he wanted to redesign it, and the changes he mentioned would have stopped me from buying it. Since he went with the original tooling, I pre-ordered 2 of each before I found out they were going into production instead of being a Sprint.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

yablanowitz wrote:The C54 came back, but it was greatly changed from the original. The weight gain alone would explain the slow sales in my mind. As for the USN Catcherman, I'd have liked to have one, but I'm not a member there and I'm not about to join another forum just to buy a knife. I'm not that fond of black blades, either. Sometimes the "improvements" of the Sprint runs are deal-breakers for me. When Sal was talking about the SpyderHawk he said he wanted to redesign it, and the changes he mentioned would have stopped me from buying it. Since he went with the original tooling, I pre-ordered 2 of each before I found out they were going into production instead of being a Sprint.
id agree with this, what made the originals special is often lost in retranslation, details are important, at least to me, and when they are worn away in favour of streamlining (of design or manufacture) the magic that made the original is lost.
And sometimes it is just the unavailability that makes people want a knife...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Kopa and VG10 Caly3 never came back :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Even the ATR is coming back as a sprint (Which is causing anticipation the like of which I'm at odds trying to describe), and I do seem to remember reading in a thread that the Salsa may make a comeback with or without the cobra hood (I'm hoping it will remain).
I'm almost positive sal said no cobra hood
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

bh49 wrote:Kopa and VG10 Caly3 never came back :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
We got close - had the Damascus Caly 3 sprint and the Super Blue sprint. Heck, we even had the large Caly with brown scales -- one of my personal favorites.

Remember the mileage that the Orange Dodo thread got prior to the sprint? Didn't that keep going for years?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, older models do come back as Sprints and Exclusives. Up to a few years ago, the differences between a Sprint Run and the original model would be just an upgraded steel, or a different handle color. However, for the past few years, most of the new ones have included such major modifications from the original as to offer a totally different "look and feel". For some, things like added liners, multiple clip positions, and peel-ply G-10 instead of polished Micarta will be attractive selling points, but for others they will represent the bastardization of something they liked just the way it was. Case in point would be the C54 Calypso Sprint, which turned one of Spyderco's few Ferraris into just another tractor.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The Deacon wrote:For some, things like added liners, multiple clip positions, and peel-ply G-10 instead of polished Micarta will be attractive selling points, but for others they will represent the bastardization of something they liked just the way it was. Case in point would be the C54 Calypso Sprint, which turned one of Spyderco's few Ferraris into just another tractor.
That is well said and I totally agree!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
M80

Post by M80 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The Jester came back and there are plans for another sprint (i think), the Meerkat got a sprint, the Salsa is getting a sprint. Not sure about the Catcherman.
there was a usn sprint of the catcherman
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Case in point would be the C54 Calypso Sprint, which turned one of Spyderco's few Ferraris into just another tractor.
+1
C54 is very elegant knife. I love liners, but IMHO black micarta or polished G10 suits this knife much better than brown peel-ply G10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:+1
C54 is very elegant knife. I love liners, but IMHO black micarta or polished G10 suits this knife much better than brown peel-ply G10.
+2 I love the linerless micarta of the C52. Only held the C54, never carried one yet the feel was the same as the baby brother.

I know micarta is out, but perhaps a polished G-10 (like the Des Horn) would work as an upgrade for the new version. This would suit me fine!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Original Starmate > reintroduced Starmate :(
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I recall a toxic green Catcherman sprint a year or so ago.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Gentlemen, we disagree on the brown G-10 Caly. I like micarta OK, but I dig the grip I get from the G-10. The brown color works for me for some reason. This sprint was a pretty big surprise for me and I carry mine pretty often.

At one time, some folks said that dribbling the basketball was a bastardization of the game. I don't see that the subtle changes in the sprints versus original sapped any of the essence of any models.

When looking for a working knife, one analogous to a tractor would be a fine choice in my opinion; however, if I can score a good deal on the original micarata version, I would not hesitate.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

mikerestivo wrote:Gentlemen, we disagree on the brown G-10 Caly. I like micarta OK, but I dig the grip I get from the G-10. The brown color works for me for some reason. This sprint was a pretty big surprise for me and I carry mine pretty often.

At one time, some folks said that dribbling the basketball was a bastardization of the game. I don't see that the subtle changes in the sprints versus original sapped any of the essence of any models.

When looking for a working knife, one analogous to a tractor would be a fine choice in my opinion; however, if I can score a good deal on the original micarata version, I would not hesitate.
I'm just curious. Have you ever handled one of the originals? I've carried and used them. The steel liners increased the weight of the knife by 50%. That doesn't make the new one heavy, but it isn't the featherweight, forget-it's-in-your-pocket, elegant folder that the original was. It's like switching from a carbon fiber Military to the all titanium one. If you'd never held a Millie and the first one you picked up was the TiRIL, it would feel light for a big, all metal folder, and it is. But it's a boat anchor when you're used to the CF version.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

yablanowitz wrote:I'm just curious. Have you ever handled one of the originals? I've carried and used them. The steel liners increased the weight of the knife by 50%. That doesn't make the new one heavy, but it isn't the featherweight, forget-it's-in-your-pocket, elegant folder that the original was. It's like switching from a carbon fiber Military to the all titanium one. If you'd never held a Millie and the first one you picked up was the TiRIL, it would feel light for a big, all metal folder, and it is. But it's a boat anchor when you're used to the CF version.
I have not but would very much like to. I owned an Al Mar that was a linerless Micarta model and I liked it. As noted, I would like to get one, but the secondary market makes them rare and kind of pricey. Working for the man has my knife budget at low ebb right now, too.

I should clarify that to me, the essence of a knife lies in its ergonomic design. As long as it handles the same during use, I don't see much difference. I have not yet seen a sprint that seemed that far from the original in a way that I did not prefer. So I'm basing my comment on what I have seen myself. Although the micarta version may be lighter, I love the brown version so much I can't imagine that I would handle a micarta one and then turn around and not like the brown. I also tend to prefer G-10 versus micarta - so I am biased. I don't dislike micarta, but in most cases it's just so-so for me (save for the Persian, where I dig it with the bolsters). Upon reflection, my reaction to Paul's comment shows that I'm seeing things through my own lens (i.e. preferences and experience).

I have a CF M390 Military and have handled the Ti version that you speak of. The Ti version was heftier but I would own one. I couldn't justify owning the Ti version because I have always owned some version of the Military and didn't feel like I needed another.

I didn't realize the weight difference was that drastic on the Caly versus the sprint version.

Sounds odd, but to me the weight doesn't always matter, depending on what I am wearing. If I am wearing lightweight basketball shorts, I like something lighter. Carrying the original Manix in shorts like these makes you feel like you are about to be de-pantsed at any given moment. If I am wearing Carhartt pants made of heavy denim, an extra few ounces doesn't seem to tug on the more robust fabric as much - plus being able to wear a belt helps keep 'em in place.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mikerestivo wrote:Gentlemen, we disagree on the brown G-10 Caly. I like micarta OK, but I dig the grip I get from the G-10. The brown color works for me for some reason. This sprint was a pretty big surprise for me and I carry mine pretty often.

No problem Mike.

To me, the C54 Sprint was a lot closer to the Police 3 than to the original C54 but I was certain some folks like it. Which is good, because I'd hate for Spyderco to lose money on a Sprint.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!