Just landed: Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Just landed: Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I was sure excited when the mail came today--bringing my newest Spydie!

This package was made even more special by the fact that I had waited over 3 weeks to get it after paying. But the seller eventually came through (after I opened a Paypal case :rolleyes: :) and shipped it to me.

This knife is possibly the rarest manual folder made in Golden as far as ease of obtaining an example. They were only meant to be sold to Carpenter Tech. employees. I belive that this one came from a CT employee second hand. Legend has it that in the future, this wonderful folder may be available to everyone! I sure hope so, as I know that you all would love it--the ergos are amazing, and that wide blade is awesome. An in-depth review is to come. :)

So, dear friends and members of the cult of the Spyder, I present, the C160P Foundry!

And here is one more shot--the Foundry on an Anvil. Kind of fitting, I thought. ;)

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love to know the dimensions. It looks thin.

I dig the blade shape.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice score. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It reminds me of a higher quality tenacious.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

From my understanding, all parts of this model are supposed to be made from Carpenter materials. (I'm not sure if that happened.) I don't think that Carpenter makes titanium, so the handle should be steel. It was once supposed to be a high, jewelry grade steel that resists scratches, but that supposedly didn't happen.

So, how heavy is this thing? Did you do the magnet test on the handle?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Dang, that's super nice. :D Nicely done, GS! Love the belly on that blade. Kind of looks like a Manbug blade on steroids. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Looks nice. Can you post a pic next to a common Spydie? Hard to tell the size.
:bug-red-white
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Donut wrote:From my understanding, all parts of this model are supposed to be made from Carpenter materials. (I'm not sure if that happened.) I don't think that Carpenter makes titanium, so the handle should be steel. It was once supposed to be a high, jewelry grade steel that resists scratches, but that supposedly didn't happen.
Yes, the BioBlu didn't make it into the final production piece.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Parts of my replacement hip joint are supposedly made out of bio blue (the ball and socket joint). Very very hard and polished to a mirror finish. You don't want any galling on an implant - sending back for a factory warranty service isn't exactly an option...

TedP
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Handle shape reminds me of a delica
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks everybody!
bearfacedkiller wrote:I would love to know the dimensions. It looks thin.

I dig the blade shape.
I will be including all of the dimensions that I can think of (maybe even with a diagram) in the review, but for now, how's this:

Blade length: 3.25 inches
Overall length: 7.5 inches
Spine thickness at plunge line: 0.125 inches
Handle thickness: 0.35 inches
Weight: 5.25 oz :eek:
Donut wrote:From my understanding, all parts of this model are supposed to be made from Carpenter materials. (I'm not sure if that happened.) I don't think that Carpenter makes titanium, so the handle should be steel. It was once supposed to be a high, jewelry grade steel that resists scratches, but that supposedly didn't happen.

So, how heavy is this thing? Did you do the magnet test on the handle?
Yes, I belive that that was the idea. There is a good description of the Foundry under the "Exclusives" tab on the Spyderco web page.

Weight = 5.25 oz, so it is a tank. Not that it matters much, as I can't see myself carrying this one. ;) Magnets do stick to it, so the handle is indeed steel. It seems to be a slight gray/blue color, unlike the blade, which is plain silver, but I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up that it is the BioBlu variant?
gbelleh wrote:Looks nice. Can you post a pic next to a common Spydie? Hard to tell the size.
Picture coming up.

ETA: Here you go. Every proper Spydie lover will have at least one, if not all of these.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Geez. Now I suddenly want one of those. :D How is the retention on the wire pocket clip?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

SpyderNut wrote:Geez. Now I suddenly want one of those. :D How is the retention on the wire pocket clip?
The clip is pretty good despite the weight of the knife. It could be a little tighter, but for general EDC, I can't see it failing.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks.

It is bigger than I thought it would be.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Magnets do stick to it, so the handle is indeed steel. It seems to be a slight gray/blue color, unlike the blade, which is plain silver, but I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up that it is the BioBlu variant?
Here's what the handle is made of (from the product description):
The handle scales are engraved with the Carpenter Steel logo and are Carpenter Custom 465® stainless steel...
The typical composition of Carpenter Custom 465 is: 0.004 C, 11.70 Cr, 11.00 Ni, 1.00 Mo, 1.6 Ti, Bal Fe

BioBlu is: 0.10 C, 1.00 Mn, 1.00 Si, 26.00/30.00 Cr, 1.00 Ni, 5.00/7.00 Mo, 0.25 N, 0.75 Fe, Bal. Co

So Carpenter Custom 465 is in no way a variant of BioBlu.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

jabba359 wrote:Here's what the handle is made of (from the product description):

The typical composition of Carpenter Custom 465 is: 0.004 C, 11.70 Cr, 11.00 Ni, 1.00 Mo, 1.6 Ti, Bal Fe

BioBlu is: 0.10 C, 1.00 Mn, 1.00 Si, 26.00/30.00 Cr, 1.00 Ni, 5.00/7.00 Mo, 0.25 N, 0.75 Fe, Bal. Co

So Carpenter Custom 465 is in no way a variant of BioBlu.
No--I meant the real BioBlu material; variant meaning the early prototypes of the C160.

Just wishful thinking, I'm sure, as there was probably only one BioBlu prototype made, and it is probably in a safe at Spyderco. :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I took it apart for cleaning and inspection, so you all get two more pictures. Birthday (or rather month) is August 2013, so one year ago. The second picture shows the hidden over travel stop and the mess of red loctite that Spyderco put on it. There is a tiny dent right above the over travel stop; I have no clue what it is for.

morgaj1

Post by morgaj1 »

That is really cool. I love the blade shape. BTW, what is the knife farthest to the right in your group of knives?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

morgaj1 wrote:That is really cool. I love the blade shape. BTW, what is the knife farthest to the right in your group of knives?
Thanks! That is a heavily modded Tenacious. That was my very first Spydie, and I wasn't very good at knife mods back then. :o
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

That's pretty cool. I hope they make it to production. For whatever reason, I really like Ti Framelocks.