Thread for random Spyderco thoughts, ideas, stories or questions you're afraid to ask

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Thread for random Spyderco thoughts, ideas, stories or questions you're afraid to ask

Post by DougC-3 »

Tell us what Spyderco thoughts, ideas, anecdotes or questions you have on your mind that you don't think amount to a separate thread, were afraid to ask, were powered by too much morning caffeine or whatever... mostly positive I hope. Just go ahead and blurt them out... if you get embarrassed, you can always come back and delete them later :)

For example:
Does anybody put clips on both sides of their knife at the same time for ambidextrous carry?
Do many people place (or remove) the clip for comfort in use at the expense of quicker deployment?
Overall, have you been happier with impulse purchases or carefully planned purchases?
Do you wind up liking better the knives your "heart" told you to buy or the ones your mind told you to buy?

Crackpot idea example:
A friend of Dustin Hoffman, before he was famous, said he kept a row of fruit jars with money in them on a shelf over his bed, each one dedicated to a different bill or purpose, like rent, heating, groceries, etc. He could lend you money out of some of them, but not others, lol

Well, this morning I was puzzling over my next spydie choice and thought about labeling some jars for Des Horn, Kiwi4, Ti Damascus Delica, D2 Millie user, etc, and throwing a few bucks in the appropriate jar when I found myself wanting that knife. If I wanted it a lot, I could put in a few extra bucks... and see which one reached street price first :D

This could also be an example of something to go back and delete :o
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Your jar idea is a good one. Wouldn't work very well for me though, because I never seem to use cash anymore. Plus, I know I'd just end up buying them all anyway.

I have found myself wanting to be able to more quickly switch from tip-up (for RFP carry) to tip-down (for RRP carry). But I never considered putting both clips on at the same time!
:bug-red-white
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

When will the swelling go down from my spydie bite and I can go on living some what of a normal life. :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Amen to that, I can't even remember what I used to look at on the web before I switched to basically solely checking this site, BF, and various retailer sites to check prices (bay included)! It's like they say when you have kids, you don't really remember what life was like before, you just know you had a lot more money! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyone else have bookmarks tailored for all the dealers and this forum set up?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Anyone else have bookmarks tailored for all the dealers and this forum set up?
Before the Cru Manix went on sale, I opened up a series of twelve tabs, each with a different dealer who was going to carry it, arranged in order of ascending prices with lowest on the left. Before going to bed, I just hibernated the laptop, then opened it up with all tabs ready the next morning. :eek:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DougC-3 wrote: Do many people place (or remove) the clip for comfort in use at the expense of quicker deployment?
I wish I can remore a clip from Kopa. I almost stopped carrying it because of clip.
DougC-3 wrote: Overall, have you been happier with impulse purchases or carefully planned purchases?
Both. My beloved C83 Persian and Dodo were impulse buy. Caly3/3.5 and Native5 were palanned.
Liquid Cobra wrote:Anyone else have bookmarks tailored for all the dealers and this forum set up?
Spyderco Forum is one of my Home pages at home and at work. I do not post daily but read all the time
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I'm curious how many workplace injuries happen in the factories. Somebody must have been bitten bad at some point!
All God's critters have knives.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I bought the Gayle Bradley on a whim. I had an itch to scratch that day and ended up with a new knife. At first I had a bit of buyers remorse, but only because I couldn't really afford it at the time. Now it is one of my favourite knives, and I don't regret the purchase one bit. I forced a patina on it that I'm very happy with as well. That day it was a toss up between the caly 3.5 cf or the GB. I'm happy with the choice but I still want that Caly.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Great idea for a thread!

Q:
Why is there a trainer version of the Endura, Delica, and P'kal, but not the Yojimbo, Civilian, Warrior, etc.?
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

Random thought/request...PLEASE bring back the Spyderco Banner to the Spyderco store. I NEED it for my man-cave! That is all :)
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home
GOA Lifetime Member
Knife Rights Charter Member
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Great idea for a thread!

Q:
Why is there a trainer version of the Endura, Delica, and P'kal, but not the Yojimbo, Civilian, Warrior, etc.?
If I may?
Demand needs to pay for the trainers, and I doubt that enough trainers are sold to justify the expense...

BTW, a Civilian trainer on its own would be lethal enough in its own right...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I currently have 30+ bookmarks in my Chrome Bookmark bar and when I launch chrome, my 12 or so usual stops for any give day load automatically.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Random thought/request:

Wouldn't it be cool to see Spyderco-themed promotional items, such as coffee mugs, pens, key fobs, shot glasses, umbrellas, T-shirts, hoodies, mouse pads, baseball caps, scarves, flags/banners, etc., etc., etc.?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:If I may?
Demand needs to pay for the trainers, and I doubt that enough trainers are sold to justify the expense...
Yes, or another way to put it: the trainers for those would cost more than the real thing, so you're better off buying a spare and grinding it down.
All God's critters have knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Great idea for a thread!

Q:
I tend to agree with you GOLDENSPYDIE because I've thought about the same thing on a couple of occasions. They even had a Trainer version of my dearly beloved Temperance 1 model which I thought was interesting from the standpoint that I always thought that the Temperance 1 model was marketed more as an outdoor fixed blade rather than a tactical blade. Although I'm sure that the Temp 1 could be used as a SD knife or a tactical/martial arts blade.

I've also thought it sort of interesting that they made trainers for the Delica and Endura>> because to me the Delica and Endura both were everyday user blades. To me I thought that the Ayoob model should have had a trainer>> because that knife has a lot of tactical and Self defense potential. Also I think that the Warrior model needs a trainer.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderNut wrote:Random thought/request:

Wouldn't it be cool to see Spyderco-themed promotional items, such as coffee mugs, pens, key fobs, shot glasses, umbrellas, T-shirts, hoodies, mouse pads, baseball caps, scarves, flags/banners, etc., etc., etc.?
I would be down for any spydie swag. Call me a walking billboard.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DougC-3 wrote:Tell us what Spyderco thoughts, ideas, anecdotes or questions you have on your mind that you don't think amount to a separate thread, were afraid to ask, were powered by too much morning caffeine or whatever... mostly positive I hope. Just go ahead and blurt them out... if you get embarrassed, you can always come back and delete them later :)

For example:
Does anybody put clips on both sides of their knife at the same time for ambidextrous carry?
Do many people place (or remove) the clip for comfort in use at the expense of quicker deployment?
Overall, have you been happier with impulse purchases or carefully planned purchases?
Do you wind up liking better the knives your "heart" told you to buy or the ones your mind told you to buy?

Crackpot idea example:
A friend of Dustin Hoffman, before he was famous, said he kept a row of fruit jars with money in them on a shelf over his bed, each one dedicated to a different bill or purpose, like rent, heating, groceries, etc. He could lend you money out of some of them, but not others, lol

Well, this morning I was puzzling over my next spydie choice and thought about labeling some jars for Des Horn, Kiwi4, Ti Damascus Delica, D2 Millie user, etc, and throwing a few bucks in the appropriate jar when I found myself wanting that knife. If I wanted it a lot, I could put in a few extra bucks... and see which one reached street price first :D

This could also be an example of something to go back and delete :o
There used to be a time when it was easy for us to get a Permit to Carry(your CCW equivalent) but cost us something like $200 a year. I would just make believe that I was a smoker and dropped the equivalent of the cost of a pack or two of cigarettes into a jar each day. I'd manage to accumulate enough by the time my current one expired.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Why there is no factory black oxidated pocket clips and deep carry clips???
It is not a space technology! Even chinese knives for a few dollars have them oxidated not painted...
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DougC-3 wrote:Do many people place (or remove) the clip for comfort in use at the expense of quicker deployment?
Don't know if "many people" do it, but the clips have been removed from all the Spydercos I carry regularly that came with them.
For the past ten years or so, my browser "home page" has been a file on my computer that's basically a set of 12 nested html tables of links to websites I visit regularly. One set consists of links to forums and the personal websites of other Spyderco buffs. Two other sets consists primarily of links to knife dealers and knifemaking suppliers. Others consist of financial links, news outlets, general merchandise shopping, government agencies, and gun dealers and ranges.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!