Review of the Spyderco Manix 2 sprint run in CPM Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Review of the Spyderco Manix 2 sprint run in CPM Cruwear

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Hi guys!

Here's another review, this time featuring the new Manix 2 sprint in Crucible Particle Metallurgy (CPM) Cruwear.

This knife uses gray peel-ply G10 for the handles with a diamond pattern cut into the surface.

From the horse's mouth:

"One of Spyderco’s most popular and iconic designs, the Manix™2 is also the perfect canvas for limited edition Sprint Runs that combine all the features and benefits of the standard version of the knife with unique construction materials.

The defining characteristic of this version of the Manix2 is its CPM® Cru-Wear® blade. Produced by Crucible® Industries, standard Cru-Wear is an air-hardening tool steel that was designed as an upgrade to D2. Although it contains less carbon and chromium, its increased levels of vanadium and tungsten make it tougher and more wear resistant than D2.

CPM (Crucible Particle Metallurgy) Cru-Wear further accentuates the benefits of Cru-Wear by combining its advanced alloy composition with the benefits of powdered metallurgy. This process produces very homogeneous steel with superior dimensional stability, grindability, and toughness. CPM Cru-Wear, in particular, offers increased toughness and chip resistance compared to its conventional ingot counterpart. Please note that CPM Cru-Wear is still a tool steel—not stainless—and is therefore susceptible to corrosion if not properly maintained.

The handle scales of this knife are machined from gray diamond pattern G-10. Like ordinary G-10, this material is extremely durable and has a fine checkered texture for an enhanced grip. However, it also features a handsome diamond pattern that clearly sets this knife apart from standard production versions of the Manix2, enhancing its status as both a functional tool and a highly prized collector’s item."

This knife was released as a Sprint Run (limited edition) and is becoming harder to find for a reasonable price. If you see one for under $160, my advice is to snag it up!

Here is the knife on the day I opened it:

This may well have been the sharpest-from-the-box Spyderco knife that I have ever experienced, and with the Cruwear steel, it doesn't need sharpening very often.

The gray G10 is the usual fine peel-ply G10 that we all know and love. The diamond grooves are very shallow and noticeable only in certain lighting.

Jimping is everywhere on the Manix. I decided to grind the handle jimping flush with the G10, and I like how it turned out. I also added a swedge for looks and a slight reduction in weight.

The CBBL (caged ball bearing lock) is black--should have been clear IMO, but it still works just fine. Lockup is solid and with practice it is easy to disengage with one hand. It is difficult to reassemble if you decide to take the knife apart, but I was able to accomplish it with out much trouble.

The clip is only tip-up due to the workings of the CBBL. It is very shiny from the factory; I acid etched mine to a light gray.

Blade measurements:

Overall blade length: 3.4 inches
Sharpened length: 3.0 inches
Width at plunge line: 1.35 inches
Thickness of the spine at the plunge line: 0.12 inches
Thickness behind the edge: 0.029 inches

Other knife measurements:

Handle thickness: 0.45 inches
Widest point when folded: 1.76 inches
Length of handle: 4.66 inches
Total weight: ~4.25 ounces

Down to the testing.

1. Batoning This is a fairly "hard use" folder with a very "tough" steel, so it ought to be able to handle some mild abuse. I prepared some kindling for a fire.

2. Fine wood work Next up, I turned some of my freshly batoned sticks into pretty lame feather sticks for the early stages of the fire. (My fault; the choil makes the knife very good for this kind of work. I just can't make a nice feather stick...)

And a whittling test stick:

3. Abusive bending test Yes, this was a very abusive test. I stuck the blade half way into a post and applied about 20 lbs of lateral pressure via my hands. It flexed significantly, but it easily sprung back to straight after being removed from the post.

4. Metal cutting I made the SB Stretch do this, so I figured that I might as well try out the Cruwear on some rain gutter. It worked very well, and is still quite sharp!

5. Sharpening Cruwear sharpens remarkably well and can take a very fine edge. However, I prefer to EDC it with the edge finished on the flats of the brown (medium) 204 stones. After all of this testing, it only took a few minutes to take it back to shaving sharp.

I hope that you enjoyed my review, and as always, questions and comments are welcome!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are some more pictures:

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Great review! You sure gave that thing a work out.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I commend you for an excellent early review and for taking a sprint right out of the box and pounding on it!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys! As others have said, sprints are really meant to show their superb design through use. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey GS, anks for the testing. I see some light patina forming on the blade. Did you force that?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Great review G/S, and again thx for the awesome pics. I hope these come back into stock at KC soon and my pre-order becomes a shipped order. Otherwise I'm gonna have to sell a kidney and get a cru wear Military instead :p
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to post photos and write it out. Very entertaining thread to read
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey GS, anks for the testing. I see some light patina forming on the blade. Did you force that?
Thanks! I tried to force a patina, but it wouldn't take. I ended up using gun blue to darken the blade and then sanding it mostly off with 400 grit. It gave it sort of a "simulated patina." :p
Johnnie1801 wrote:Great review G/S, and again thx for the awesome pics. I hope these come back into stock at KC soon and my pre-order becomes a shipped order. Otherwise I'm gonna have to sell a kidney and get a cru wear Military instead :p
Thanks--I hope that you can get one!
Holland wrote:Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to post photos and write it out. Very entertaining thread to read
Thank you. I'm glad that you enjoyed it!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Awesome pics as always GS! That abusive bending test shot makes me queasy looking at it!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Great review and photos. I shall use mine with confidence.

BTW is it peel-ply G10? I thought peel-ply applied to the carbon fiber knives where a layer of carbon fiber was adhered to G10. I thought the Manix2 knife scale were cut from G10.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
Nate

Post by Nate »

It's great to see one of these in action. Thanks for taking the time.

I've been carrying mine for the past few days, but it has still only seen the most mundane of tasks. I'm liking the Manix much more than I thought I would. (I had concerns about the weight, width, and the gratuitous amount of jimping :) but it all just works.)
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Peel-ply refers to a layer of textured release fabric that is applied to the g-10 when it is still wet. Once the resin sets up, the "peel-ply" is removed, giving it the grippy texture. Spyderco's peel-ply carbon fiber is solid. The twill cf is a laminate over g-10, iirc...
:spyder:
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Awesome pics as always GS! That abusive bending test shot makes me queasy looking at it!
Thanks! I think it could have held up to more, but I didn't want to push it--it scared me too! :o
Cameron wrote:Great review and photos. I shall use mine with confidence.

BTW is it peel-ply G10? I thought peel-ply applied to the carbon fiber knives where a layer of carbon fiber was adhered to G10. I thought the Manix2 knife scale were cut from G10.

Cameron
Thanks. Knife manufactures usually just call it "G10," but since I buy it in slabs for my own knives, I like to be technical. :p "Regular" G10 is actually smooth. Refer to Apophis's accurate description for info on "Peel Ply."
Apophis wrote:It's great to see one of these in action. Thanks for taking the time.

I've been carrying mine for the past few days, but it has still only seen the most mundane of tasks. I'm liking the Manix much more than I thought I would. (I had concerns about the weight, width, and the gratuitous amount of jimping :) but it all just works.)
You're welcome. I didn't really like the M2 LW in CTS-BD1, but the Cruwear sprint is just amazing. It blew me away!
Apophis wrote:Peel-ply refers to a layer of textured release fabric that is applied to the g-10 when it is still wet. Once the resin sets up, the "peel-ply" is removed, giving it the grippy texture. Spyderco's peel-ply carbon fiber is solid. The twill cf is a laminate over g-10, iirc...
^^ This is a correct and very detailed description of the different types of G10. Thanks for posting it!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Awesome review and pics. Thanks for the effort and entertainment for all us like-minded individuals.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Nice pictures.....as usual. Also nice to see that it can take some abuse. I was able to find one at a reasonable price (more than KW & less than NGK/Howes) and now I am a happy camper. I will be getting it this Friday. This will be my 3rd Manix (not including the XL).....others are saber ground S30V, S110V LtWt. I think that would be it for me Manix's except for maybe M4, Maxamet, LC200 if those ever got released. But then again if the Maxamet or LC200 got released in another platform I might not feel the need/urge to follow up with a Manix version. :rolleyes:

If LC200 is as corrosion free as H1 but holds an edge a lot better than H1 .....which is H1's weakness in PE then I am thinking that a LtWt LC200 PE Manix 2 might be a great go anywhere knife.

But enough dreaming for now........just really looking forward to having my new Cruwear Manix join the family. :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Great review and pictures!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Jazz wrote:Awesome review and pics. Thanks for the effort and entertainment for all us like-minded individuals.
Thanks!
ManixFan wrote:Nice pictures.....as usual. Also nice to see that it can take some abuse. I was able to find one at a reasonable price (more than KW & less than NGK/Howes) and now I am a happy camper. I will be getting it this Friday. This will be my 3rd Manix (not including the XL).....others are saber ground S30V, S110V LtWt. I think that would be it for me Manix's except for maybe M4, Maxamet, LC200 if those ever got released. But then again if the Maxamet or LC200 got released in another platform I might not feel the need/urge to follow up with a Manix version. :rolleyes:

If LC200 is as corrosion free as H1 but holds an edge a lot better than H1 .....which is H1's weakness in PE then I am thinking that a LtWt LC200 PE Manix 2 might be a great go anywhere knife.

But enough dreaming for now........just really looking forward to having my new Cruwear Manix join the family. :D
I'm glad that you found one! That is an interesting idea for the Manix Salt. Maybe a light-weight M2 would be more feasible than the Para 2 Salt that people keep asking for?
3rdGenRigger wrote:Great review and pictures!
Thank you!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ManixFan wrote:
If LC200 is as corrosion free as H1 but holds an edge a lot better than H1 ....
Ahem...we are about to find out sir. I have a new spydie on the way. ;) :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Outstanding review!