(Sal) Spyderco Dragon, future bestseller?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Really a nice design DutchBlades! I would by a production model it has a lot of unique and useful features.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

billy blade wrote:Really a nice design DutchBlades! I would by a production model it has a lot of unique and useful features.
Thanks! :D Trust me, I would like any version of it :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

DutchBlades wrote:Wouldn't be the first time Spyderco accepts design from fans and fellow knife-nuts instead of just the known knife makers :)
Look at DiAlex for instance, he wasn't a knife maker or a known knife designer but still got together with Spyderco for the Adventura, Battlestation and Junior.
I know this isn't the best way, but I don't have the connections to contact Spyderco directly and be able to get feedback from the fans of Spyderco in a better way than this.
The die-hard Spydie fans are active on the forums and as we all know Sal keeps a close eye on the forums and I know he'll see this thread at some point in time :)
Besides, the design has several features that Spyderco has patents on and by posting it on the forums as a "gift" to Spyderco to give their thoughts on it, they have the rights to the design. I step back from my rights on it and give it to Spyderco, this way they have legal rights, same thing as with the Calender Contest pictures ;)

I can't really be blamed to have hope in being accepted by Spyderco like DiAlex or others and get this knife in production :D If it comes out half as nice as I imagine they can make it, it'll be the crown on my collection and allot of other people would like it too. I'll keep my hopes up and maybe this knife will see the production line at some point, it's cost effective so that has to contribute in the possibility :D
If you want to get Sal's attention, make a prototype.
It doesn't even have to be steel. Wood, plastic, whatever, it just needs to show correct geometry for moving parts. Pictures rarely have everything lined up right. That's part of the speciality of Dialex, he gets the technicals correct, thus there's a lot less work turning one of those into an actual product compared to your average artist's render.
Basically it takes a lot of time to make a concept usable, and there's a lot of concepts but still only 24 hours in a day.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Joshua J. wrote:If you want to get Sal's attention, make a prototype.
It doesn't even have to be steel. Wood, plastic, whatever, it just needs to show correct geometry for moving parts. Pictures rarely have everything lined up right. That's part of the speciality of Dialex, he gets the technicals correct, thus there's a lot less work turning one of those into an actual product compared to your average artist's render.
Basically it takes a lot of time to make a concept usable, and there's a lot of concepts but still only 24 hours in a day.
I'm already working on one :D
Hope it turns out good... But I'll do my best. It'll be made out of wood, don't really have the skill or contacts to get a metal prototype made up. When it's done I'll post pictures, but bear with me, I don't know when I'll get it done ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Just remember that posting an image here in public nullifies your desire to ask Spyderco to contemplate manufacture... :(

PM Sal and show ONLY him the images/ideas....so a little rework on your images might help? :)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Just remember that posting an image here in public nullifies your desire to ask Spyderco to contemplate manufacture... :(

PM Sal and show ONLY him the images/ideas....so a little rework on your images might help? :)
Will do ;) Just in case and that way he'll sure see it :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

remnar

Post by remnar »

The blade reminds me a lot of the Impala.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

remnar wrote:The blade reminds me a lot of the Impala.

It does share some similarities and the Impala is a pretty sweet knife aswell... Reckon it's pretty hard to come by though :(
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

sal

Post by sal »

I'm watching the thread. However, I must point out that an "idea" is a long way from a prototype that we can get opinions for. I'm assuming that you are suggesting using an Endura handle with a different blade shape?

Let's see the thoughts of others.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:I'm watching the thread. However, I must point out that an "idea" is a long way from a prototype that we can get opinions for. I'm assuming that you are suggesting using an Endura handle with a different blade shape?

Let's see the thoughts of others.

sal
Thanks for looking into the thread ;)
And yes, I figured it would be the same concept as with the Jester and Ladybug.
The Endura has the dimensions and handleshape that allot of people like and would look great with other blade designs.
Plus it reduces manufacturing and designing costs.
And this is not a prototype yet, just a sketch as of now...
I don't think the company has enough free time on their hands to make a prototype, so I'll look into it as good as I can. I'll make a wooden 1:1 scale prototype for this knife.

(should I post it here on in a private message?)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

To echo Joshua J. and Stuart, your best chance for success would be to keep it private between yourself and Spyderco (Sal and Eric). Sending your finished prototype to Sal is a great way to get the ball rolling. Good luck man!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Lookin good brother!! It's like a big jester/mini warrior blade. I would buy one in a delica size for sure. Price I assume would be around $60-70 from dealers as it would most likely follow In the endura/delica footsteps. Nice drawing, design and awesome name! Also the fact that sal is watching and responding is awesome. Another reason i love spyderco.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

spyderHS08 wrote:Lookin good brother!! It's like a big jester/mini warrior blade. I would buy one in a delica size for sure. Price I assume would be around $60-70 from dealers as it would most likely follow In the endura/delica footsteps. Nice drawing, design and awesome name! Also the fact that sal is watching and responding is awesome. Another reason i love spyderco.

Thanks spyder :D
I'll do my best on the prototype and hopefully, you can own one in the future :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

SpyderNut wrote:To echo Joshua J. and Stuart, your best chance for success would be to keep it private between yourself and Spyderco (Sal and Eric). Sending your finished prototype to Sal is a great way to get the ball rolling. Good luck man!
I'm starting work it on today ;) Hope it turns out good :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

To answer Sal's question..part way?
The Endura handle is a prime handle for a LOT of blade designs...IMHO...
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:To answer Sal's question..part way?
The Endura handle is a prime handle for a LOT of blade designs...IMHO...
Agreed, it's a perfect size, good ergonomics, variety of materials, good lock -up possibilities, width is perfect, etc.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Sal,

I've gone out and bought a sheet of wood and I'm working on the blade for the Dragon.
I've run into two small problems/questions.
The point was the interchangeable handles, using the Endura ones for this model.
Sadly I only have a stainless one and the Jigged Bone one, so I'm not able to use the handles. I do however have a FRN Cara Cara 2, it would give a good representation, but the handle has a choil, so it would look a bit different than what I wanted on the Endura scales. I don't know if the Endura and Cara Cara handles are the same besides the ergonomics, dimension wise.

Second thing was the question if it would be best to keep any progress on it private or post it in the thread.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

DutchBlades wrote:Sal,

I've gone out and bought a sheet of wood and I'm working on the blade for the Dragon.
I've run into two small problems/questions.
The point was the interchangeable handles, using the Endura ones for this model.
Sadly I only have a stainless one and the Jigged Bone one, so I'm not able to use the handles. I do however have a FRN Cara Cara 2, it would give a good representation, but the handle has a choil, so it would look a bit different than what I wanted on the Endura scales. I don't know if the Endura and Cara Cara handles are the same besides the ergonomics, dimension wise.

Second thing was the question if it would be best to keep any progress on it private or post it in the thread.
Sounds like you need an Endura :p . Just saw one on amazon.fr with 20% discount, comes to about €69 shipped + it's orange for Holland :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Sounds like you need an Endura :p . Just saw one on amazon.fr with 20% discount, comes to about €69 shipped + it's orange for Holland :D
That's a pretty good deal :)
Blade is pretty much done at this point.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Appealing design blade wise and I like the thought process behind the name. And the design likewise projects the image of a Chinese sword variation which I like, as well.

Dragons in Japanese, Chinese and Korean mythology represent wisdom, spiritual power and patience.

All good traits to have when using a knife for any purpose.

Maybe Sal will follow up with you -
GW