Wanted: Compression lock with less than 3 inch blade, please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Wanted: Compression lock with less than 3 inch blade, please!

Post by Doc Dan »

I know there are a lot of folks out there just like me. For daily carry I do not need a gigantic knife and they are illegal in many places, anyway. I want a knife with a Compression lock and a sub-3 inch blade. I do not want something odd. I want something with a blade like the PM2 or the Delica 4 FFG that can do a wide variety of tasks across the spectrum. I want G10 and skeletonized liners (titanium or steel). Although, Smith and Wesson has been making that wonderful Scandium+aluminium for their handguns and it is light and very strong.
Also, I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for it. I want it to be priced where I can actually buy it for $100 or less.

Anyone else feel the same?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=30
Discontinued, yes, but they can be found for well under $100.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I 100% agree. The salsa is a cool looking knife but I found it very uncomfortable in hand and pretty unrefined in regards to the compression lock. I would love to see something along the lines of the delica with a compression lock
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Lil T (discontinued) was my first compression lock.
Not sure the length but it was no more than 3"
The handled can be slimmed down (I mod'd mine) to make a very pocketable knife.
Now we just need spyderco to make them :) !
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You can give a Junior a haircut for like $30.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Vesuvius
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

find a used Paramilitary (1)
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Compression lock...only two or three with the up-to-date rendition. I love the Chaparral size and shape of the blade (Cat too), but would like to have something about like this with the Compression Lock. The Cat has a similar size. The Salsa is nice too, but the AUS8 leaves me yawning.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

Excellent suggestions already, many are long discontinued. While we wait for more models to come out...

How about a mini PM2 from BowerBladeWorks? Above the price you are looking for, but a **** of an option to consider.

[video=youtube;DZ4kHDtwssk]https://youtu.be/DZ4kHDtwssk[/video]
FDE

Post by FDE »

Yes PLEASE! Smaller PM2 or compression lock Native 6 :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Send me a Para or Para 2 and I can make it legal. Here's my old Para 1 that I made 3 inch legal (it was like 1/8 over 3 inches from the factory). On most knives it isn't hard to take a bit off the tip and make them legal. This may not be the answer you want, but it's the easiest way to get what you want and probably the fastest.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dabblerinred wrote:Excellent suggestions already, many are long discontinued. While we wait for more models to come out...

How about a mini PM2 from BowerBladeWorks? Above the price you are looking for, but a **** of an option to consider.

[video=youtube;DZ4kHDtwssk]https://youtu.be/DZ4kHDtwssk[/video]
He basically just took the Para 2 back to the Para 1 days, and honestly I think he wrecked the spine on that knife but that's just me. I'd have dropped the point down to more of a leaf shape.
~David
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I second the suggestion about the Para 1, IMHO one of Spyderco's all-time best knives. That said, it is a hair over 3," which can be an issue here in CA. I also agree about the Salsa ergos, although the Ti version is pretty cool--also pretty expensive if you can find one. I know it's not a compression lock, but the Cat you mentioned is an exceptional EDC in all respects. And if you can get one of "good" original CF versions, even better.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:I know there are a lot of folks out there just like me. For daily carry I do not need a gigantic knife and they are illegal in many places, anyway. I want a knife with a Compression lock and a sub-3 inch blade. I do not want something odd. I want something with a blade like the PM2 or the Delica 4 FFG that can do a wide variety of tasks across the spectrum. I want G10 and skeletonized liners (titanium or steel). Although, Smith and Wesson has been making that wonderful Scandium+aluminium for their handguns and it is light and very strong.
Also, I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for it. I want it to be priced where I can actually buy it for $100 or less.

Anyone else feel the same?
You don't want much, do you? Whole new knife model, the most difficult lock to get right, premium/exotic materials, all for less than $100. Have you ever heard the expression "Champagne taste and beer salary"? Good luck convincing Sal that he needs to get on a rocket sled to bankruptcy.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

Evil D wrote:He basically just took the Para 2 back to the Para 1 days, and honestly I think he wrecked the spine on that knife but that's just me. I'd have dropped the point down to more of a leaf shape.
The Para1 that has that big bump on the handle that people complained about? That's perhaps the biggest difference between the 1 and the 2 model and it is not present in his mod. He just shortened the PM2 handle and upgraded it from G10 to lightning CF. Also, on this particular one, his goal was to 1)make it a mini 2)get the blade handle ratio more even. On yours, you made the PM1, one of the worst in blade/handle ratios even worse... not implying that blade/handle ratio is a be all end all but yours isn't the perfect solution for everyone either. I don't think what he did was as basic as just converting it back to a PM1 at all. As far as the tip/grind, I don't mind it, I like sharp tips like that on my EDC. He more or less just shortened it and kept the original blade's profile. Does look very delicate though and not a lot of steel. Regardless I bet it would make for a good utility 3 incher. Overall, it's a winner and he seems to be taking a lot of orders. I assume that he can customize it to whatever specs you want even adding a leaf shape blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dabblerinred wrote:The Para1 that has that big bump on the handle that people complained about? That's perhaps the biggest difference between the 1 and the 2 model and it is not present in his mod. He just shortened the PM2 handle and upgraded it from G10 to lightning CF. Also, on this particular one, his goal was to 1)make it a mini 2)get the blade handle ratio more even. On yours, you made the PM1, one of the worst in blade/handle ratios even worse... not implying that blade/handle ratio is a be all end all but yours isn't the perfect solution for everyone either. I don't think what he did was as basic as just converting it back to a PM1 at all. As far as the tip/grind, I don't mind it, I like sharp tips like that on my EDC. He more or less just shortened it and kept the original blade's profile. Does look very delicate though and not a lot of steel. Regardless I bet it would make for a good utility 3 incher. Overall, it's a winner and he seems to be taking a lot of orders. I assume that he can customize it to whatever specs you want even adding a leaf shape blade.
Well, he lost 4 way clip option with the new scales, and the pinky bump is easily removed, though when you shorten the handle I don't see how anyone except people with tiny hands will be gripping behind the choil anyway so that bump never bothered me to begin with so I never took it off mine. As for handle to blade ratio, when we're talking about sub 3 inch folders, if you want a full size handle then that's pretty much a given. Not every knife has to be 50/50, look at the Dodo.
~David
Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

Evil D wrote:Well, he lost 4 way clip option with the new scales, and the pinky bump is easily removed, though when you shorten the handle I don't see how anyone except people with tiny hands will be gripping behind the choil anyway so that bump never bothered me to begin with so I never took it off mine. As for handle to blade ratio, when we're talking about sub 3 inch folders, if you want a full size handle then that's pretty much a given. Not every knife has to be 50/50, look at the Dodo.
Like I said, when you get knives sent out, you typically can order it to the specs you want. If you want holes drilled for all four corners and not just the one you use be my guest. It's all fair game.

Neither the one I shared and the PM1 you modded isn't for everyone. I really just wanted to show an option for the OP, nothing more. Happy for you that you modded your knife how you wanted.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dabblerinred,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Doc Dan,

As Yab mentioned, that's a tough order for the $100 price. If we made it in Golden, it would likely be the same price range as the Para. Made in Japan would be higher, Italy hasn't made compression locks, but the Euro is still pretty strong. Taiwan could do it, but again, might be pricey. I don't think we could make it in China with any sort of exotic steel. Interesting thought and model request, but the price is difficult.

sal
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I would second this idea of just removing about an 1/8 inch from a PM2! I have a PM2 CTS-204P that was ground down to just under the three inch mark and I am happy cause I can legally carry it! :)

Evil D wrote:Send me a Para or Para 2 and I can make it legal. Here's my old Para 1 that I made 3 inch legal (it was like 1/8 over 3 inches from the factory). On most knives it isn't hard to take a bit off the tip and make them legal. This may not be the answer you want, but it's the easiest way to get what you want and probably the fastest.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hi Dabblerinred,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Doc Dan,

As Yab mentioned, that's a tough order for the $100 price. If we made it in Golden, it would likely be the same price range as the Para. Made in Japan would be higher, Italy hasn't made compression locks, but the Euro is still pretty strong. Taiwan could do it, but again, might be pricey. I don't think we could make it in China with any sort of exotic steel. Interesting thought and model request, but the price is difficult.

sal
Hi Sal, are you and Yablanowitz talking about msrp or street price? Just wondering because when I see something like the pm2 going for around $110 with the big online guys, it's not hard for me to imagine something similar but a bit smaller in the same price range. That's just my "customer perspective" though. I don't really know anything about design or manufacturing costs.