Wich holds an edge better?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Therealtwitch

Wich holds an edge better?

Post by Therealtwitch »

I can't decide which will be my next knife. I've wittled it down to a stretch in zdp-189 or a gayle Bradley.

Which will hold a better edge? I am leaning toward the Bradley cause of its tuffer build construction, but the blade shape of the stretch makes it seem like a better slicer. So tuffness vs slicer. I'll defiently be buying the stretch g-10 when it comes out. But for now I am conflicted which brings me back to the edge retention question. So your opinions please
Invective

Post by Invective »

Well this all depends on what you'll be using it for. For harder, tougher use you would want M4 because it is run softer than ZDP and is much tougher. If it's just slicing, opening mail and cutting cardboard, ZDP should be fine. Just make sure to maintain the edge and not let it get dull because that will be a pain to reprofile.
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

I am an apache mechanic by trade so it won't see a lot of hard use. Mostly in a day my knife cuts bag/string/cardboard/paper/zip ties/ with the occasional cutting of wire shielding when I have to strip a wire
timlara

Post by timlara »

Totally different blade shape and style, but the Manix 2 LW in S110v would be a good choice as well if you're going to cut stuff like zip ties. Here's a test Evil D did on that a while back, which I thought was pretty impressive:

[video=youtube_share;v2OLywhb-ns]http://youtu.be/v2OLywhb-ns?list=UUxPHQ ... uWLJUAA2PQ[/video]
Tim
Jax

Post by Jax »

Pretty good vid.
I wonder if Evil D has a Aquarium?
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

Thanks but I already have a manix in s110v. Looking for my next knife. Don't have anything in zdp or m4
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Both.....
timlara

Post by timlara »

Therealtwitch wrote:Thanks but I already have a manix in s110v. Looking for my next knife. Don't have anything in zdp or m4
Ah. In that case, I would agree with Invective's comment about M4 being tougher. ZDP is great for edge holding on abrasive materials like cardboard in my experience, but it is likely to chip if you are cutting anything like tough zip ties or plastic bundle straps. M4 should fare better in that regard.

I own both the GB and Stretch in ZDP and my personal preference between the two for EDC is definitely the Stretch, just because I prefer lighter, thinner knives, and you are right that it's the better slicer of the two. The GB's construction and ergonomics are outstanding and it is a really cool looking knife, but it is a bit heavy and chunky in the pocket. I find myself carrying the Stretch a lot more often.

If you want something with a little extra weight and heft and "cool factor", though, the GB is excellent and the blade shape is very functional.
Tim
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

timlara wrote:... it is likely to chip if you are cutting anything like tough zip ties or plastic bundle straps
If ZDP-189 is chipping on cutting zip-ties or other plastics then :

-there is a problem with the steel
-it isn't sharpened properly

or some combination of the two.

In regards to cutting up plastics and being impressed with it :

[video=youtube;5ZyI-fOaYDA]https://youtu.be/5ZyI-fOaYDA[/video]

That blade costs $0.25 - $0.50 depending on how many of them you buy and has a edge bevel of ~9 dps.

--

In regards to M4 vs ZDP-189, they are both very wear resistant. The largest differences are :

-ZDP-189 has a much higher corrosion resistance
-M4 may be found to be easier to sharpen (depends a lot on skill/equipment)

There is a difference in toughness, but given the nature of both knives that is not likely to be a significant difference.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jax wrote:Pretty good vid.
I wonder if Evil D has a Aquarium?
About 6 feet back at my left lol. The microphone on my phone is pretty sensitive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David