One-knife people

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
deskil

Post by deskil »

I'd no more carry just one kind of knife than drink only one kind of wine.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:...I also carry only very few knives out of my accumulation.
That pretty much sums it up for me too. There are several I won't carry simply because they're too hard (or costly) to replace if damaged or lost. About 90% of the time, I carry a basic D'fly2 and Ladybug/Manbug. Nothing fancy.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

This thread seems to be exposing us as little safe queeners. The centerpiece for me is my d2 para 1, its like the sun-all other knives rotate around its omnipresence. Its a question of bonding, which knife has been with me on important occasions etc. Once the bond has been made it becomes a relationship. I keep flirting with other more attractive, younger models (some older, nothing wrong with a good KILF) but the para and i have been through some sh@t together and thats more important than the sum of the parts.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Id like to be monogcutmous.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I get the most use out of my Techno and it would probably be the best overall package I have found for all of my daily uses. The Manix 2 LW is not really a 'fondling' knife at all so that's probably why it doesn't compete much with the Techno. That said, it too is a fantastic and easy to carry knife. No knife is perfect for all uses and every person is different as to what they like...I enjoy a knife that's fun to fondle (small Sebenza is one of my favorites for that) but that has great edge retention and a lean-ish grind. I haven't quite found just that, so a rotation is a must.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cheddarnut wrote:Id like to be monogcutmous.
Lol....awesome
JD Spydo

PE Spyder EDC with a Companion Hawkbill blade.

Post by JD Spydo »

NO WAY!!! I"ve been carrying what I like to refer to as a "Companion Blade" for about the past 8 to 9 years now. I usually always carry one premium plain edged or combo edged Spyderco folder>> my current main EDC rotation is C-60 Sprint Ayoob, C-56 Sprint CF Zowada or at least 3 others I rotate>> then I usually have a Spyderco Hawkbill as a companion blade and currently I'm carrying a TASMAN. I've been carrying my PE Spyder EDC along with a trusted Spyderco Hawkbill for quite some time now. And Frankly I just couldn't imagine it being any other way.

With all the cutting chores I can cover with those 2 great EDC blades I rarely have to go to my footlocker and dig out something else. The only exception to that being the 4 to 5 Spyderco blades I use in the kitchen.

Sometimes I even EDC a fixed blade which most of the time is a STREETBEAT but several times I have my long time trusted Temperance 1 model. And even then I have a companion Hawkbill blade along for the ride.

But with the current job I have now I even go an hour without one of my several EDC blades.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:NO WAY!!! I"ve been carrying what I like to refer to as a "Companion Blade" for about the past 8 to 9 years now. I usually always carry one premium plain edged or combo edged Spyderco folder>> my current main EDC rotation is C-60 Sprint Ayoob, C-56 Sprint CF Zowada or at least 3 others I rotate>> then I usually have a Spyderco Hawkbill as a companion blade and currently I'm carrying a TASMAN. I've been carrying my PE Spyder EDC along with a trusted Spyderco Hawkbill for quite some time now. And Frankly I just couldn't imagine it being any other way.

With all the cutting chores I can cover with those 2 great EDC blades I rarely have to go to my footlocker and dig out something else. The only exception to that being the 4 to 5 Spyderco blades I use in the kitchen.

Sometimes I even EDC a fixed blade which most of the time is a STREETBEAT but several times I have my long time trusted Temperance 1 model. And even then I have a companion Hawkbill blade along for the ride.

But with the current job I have now I even go an hour without one of my several EDC blades.
Interesting.Same here.I allways have a serrated hawkbill on me.Harpy in the city and Tasman outdoors. My PE is decided between Salt1,Delica in ZDP189 or a D'fly Salt.This combo never failed me.But it took me years of rotations to decide that this is the combo for me.Even so, as I said above, sometimes I envy the one-knife people.The only ocasion when I have only one knife on me is when I go to church(Caly jr.burgundy or D'fly G10) or in a potential dangerous area when I grab my Matriarch Wave.But on a trip around the world I would take only one, the knife that embodies everything I need and almost everything I want in a knife: the Pacific Salt serrated.I am planning this trip in my head for some time now....
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I have either lost or given away my old knives and all I carry is either my pm2 or delica with my leatherman and I'm set

I'd love a million more but really I don't need them
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Fantastic thread. I keep trying to find that one knife that I would carry everyday without variation. The theory being to simplify life as much as possible and own less stuff. However in practice there has never been one knife that solves all my needs and variety is fun. I rotate through 5-10 at any given time although that group changes as well. In the end the variety is fun, and different days have different needs.
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

It's very tough to decide, but for work, I carry an frn endura 4 FFG. after hours and weekends, I tend to carry the Gayle Bradley. Once in a while it will be a manix 2 or PM2, but the Bradley is tough to beat.
DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 #1 and only.

I had fifteen or so Spydercos when I bought the Caly 3.5 and since have sold or traded half of those. I still have a few like the Sage 2, Lum small Chinese, Stainless Dragonfly and .and Manix 2 XL that I hate to Let go but can't see me ever carrying anything other than the Caly 3.5
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I am a one knife person. One in my left front pocket, one in my right front pocket, one on my keychain, one....errrr...four more in my bag.

In all seriousness, I do use only one knife primarily. Joking aside, I carry several in my bag but only one in my pocket. For the last year or so that has been the Techno. That one goes in my right front pocket, and unless I truly need a longer blade, it's the knife that gets used. (It is not the greatest blade for cutting sandwiches/burgers) The ones in the bag are knives that have either sentimental/or other value to me. Pretty much I have, over the years, divested myself of much of the stuff that I don't use. I used to have a larger collection of knives, I keep it under ten nowadays. I will be getting several of the upcoming spyderco offerings. Eventually my collection will shrink back down as I cull the herd. I love the Techno but I have found several times I wanted a longer blade. (I use the Sage 2 in my bag when that happens.) I can see myself replacing one of those blades with the upcoming Slyz Bowie. I may decide I like the dogtag better than the ladybug as a keychain knife, etc.

I like the familiarity of having the same knife in my pocket and using it daily. I EDC'ed a Sebenza for 7 years, then the sage 2 for a couple, and now the Techno.

Grizz
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

elena86 wrote:Are there any Spyderco collectors( in my book "spyderco collector= own more than 10 and keep coming") who carry only one and don't feel the need to rotate or carry more than one ? THE ONE.I started to envy "one-knife carry" people.In the last five years or so, I tried to figure out which one is THE ONE for me.Guess what : I couldn't ! :confused:
Right now I'm kind of a "no knife" person. I have knives that I'm planning to sell, and lots of junkers that I couldn't/wouldn't sell (mostly failed mod projects), but the "one" that I want to carry is the K-2.
Oddly enough one of the knives I'm most attached to right now is the Vallotton, possibly because it's one of the only Spyderco knives that's nearly entirely designed for aesthetics, but still distinctly "Spyderco" with the old school hump. There's very much a clash of old and new in that design, it's kind of an ironic statement.
Would love a run in CTS-B75P, just because BG-42 is old enough to be retro but still very competitive by modern standards.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My Grandfather was raised during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl, and like many of his generation, he was a one-knife kind of guy. Aside from the electrician's blade he had in his toolbox, he carried and owned only one traditional slipjoint at a time. When he broke or lost that one, he'd go down to the hardware store and buy another. He liked traditional patterns like the trapper and barlow - and thought that the peanut pattern was just too small for him. He wasn't loyal to one brand and usually purchased what ever blade that caught his fancy and was in stock at the store (mail order was much rarer back then). During my formative years, he had a hardware-store brand barlow (can't remember the name) and a Case trapper.

It was a different generation with different values...

If he was alive today, I'd buy him a titanium UKPK - he'd like that one.

TedP
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

opusxpn wrote:I mostly carry one knife at a time, but do rotate them almost every other day, sometimes daily it all depends.
I'm pretty much the same. I enjoy carrying and using all my knives, and I can't imagine having to pick just one. I'm intrigued by you one-knife folks, and wonder if I'll ever get there some day. I'm even more anxious now to find a Caly (I want it in Super Blue, been hunting for a while), since it seems to be winning a few hearts over here. Maybe it will be "the one".
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I feel like I am a one knife guy but in truth am no where near it. I tend to rotate what is in my pocket anywhere from daily to monthly. I just love too many knives that I have, and love to get them all use! Well, the Tanto paperstone sprint, and the red damascus endura tend to be babied.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990