Sal, is there any word on the Strider collaboration?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

What would be the improvement over a Superleaf or Tuff? Just asking as I have never physically handled a Strider.
Invective

Post by Invective »

twinboysdad wrote:What would be the improvement over a Superleaf or Tuff? Just asking as I have never physically handled a Strider.
I bought a Strider over the Tuff because I generally don't like the thumb humps on Spydies, I much prefer my Spydies without them like the Native is. As for advantage over the SuperLeaf, well one would be it not being discontinued (HIYOOO :D I kid though, I kid) and Strider's to me having more comfortable grips than the SuperLeaf. The end of the SuperLeaf handle is awkward in hand for me.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

twinboysdad wrote:What would be the improvement over a Superleaf or Tuff? Just asking as I have never physically handled a Strider.
I've personally never handled a superleaf so I can't say there. I believe the superleaf was VG-10? I wish they would have used that on the tuff, and I do own the tuff and I like it however hopefully they would use a different steel as the tuff is prone to rust if you don't clean and oil it regularly. Which I don't ever have to worry about with striders and their S30V. Again this is my experience and my climate, everyone else may have different opinions and experiences with the steels.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm torn on this idea, because the reasons I would buy and use a Strider are different than the reasons I'd buy and use a Spyderco. The build and warranty of the two brands is very different in my eyes. There are things I'd do with a Strider that I wouldn't do with a Spyderco and vice versa.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

spyderHS08 wrote:Lol lets keep it affordable, 3/4 grind works for me!

Nice edge on that SnG btw
a nightmare grind at $400 is much more affordable than $1300 LOL. Plus it wont be hand ground- Calibrate the machine and Viola.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Cujobob wrote:A knife that looks like a Strider but is built by Spyderco would be amazing.
This guy hasnt held a strider :P

And I vote CPM 3V

If I could design the specs for the grind, they would be done thin like a MSC. I would aim for 0.015" behind the edge. Plenty tough .... And thinner than most Spydercos.

Make it in Taiwan????? LOL I know Strider tries to keep it USA but anybody will admit that the Taiwan plant is THE most phenomenal when it comes to fit and finish.
Invective

Post by Invective »

razorsharp wrote:a nightmare grind at $400 is much more affordable than $1300 LOL. Plus it wont be hand ground- Calibrate the machine and Viola.
Man a nightmare SnG in 3V would be amazing! I would pay easily $500 for a collab like that. And Spyderco even has experience with multi-beveled knives with the Captain and Double Bevel so we know it can be done on a production level too.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

spyderHS08 wrote:I've personally never handled a superleaf so I can't say there. I believe the superleaf was VG-10? I wish they would have used that on the tuff, and I do own the tuff and I like it however hopefully they would use a different steel as the tuff is prone to rust if you don't clean and oil it regularly. Which I don't ever have to worry about with striders and their S30V. Again this is my experience and my climate, everyone else may have different opinions and experiences with the steels.
I am all for a Spyderco / Strider collaboration, but if you have not tried the Tuff you need to. I don't really baby my 3V and it has held up beautifully. Here are some direct comparison shots I did a while back. The Tuff and SMF have many proportional similarities.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

Able Dog wrote:Then why do any collaborations?
That's a good point. I agree with the people who say they make very different products.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I do appreciate that Taichung F&F quite a bit more than the Strider's, especially after comparing prices. The details on the Ti alone say a lot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

I think a Strider collaboration would be great.

As for the steel, I prefer stainless blades for a folder. My 3V Bark River rusted quickly when exposed to water and humidity if it wasn't constantly oiled. Oiling a folder just attracts lint and dust and other crap that I don't want in a pivot.
xceptnl wrote:
Wow, now I really REALLY want these knives.
Invective wrote: The end of the SuperLeaf handle is awkward in hand for me.
That hook at the end of the Superleaf limited its use to those with smallish hands, I wear XL gloves and it bit into my hand. I had a Superleaf back when Para2s were unavailable, and they were $80ish on clearance and I wanted a compression lock to hold me over. I gladly sold mine after the Para2 was again available, but I miss the leaf shaped blade and 4mm stock.

The only thing the Superleaf needed, other than trimming off the hook at the end of the handle, was a pivot and frame that was as relatively strong as the 4mm thick blade. Putting a blade that thick on a knife with a tiny pivot and thin liners didn't mesh well, in my opinion.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

MatthewSB wrote:That hook at the end of the Superleaf limited its use to those with smallish hands, I wear XL gloves and it bit into my hand. I had a Superleaf back when Para2s were unavailable, and they were $80ish on clearance and I wanted a compression lock to hold me over. I gladly sold mine after the Para2 was again available, but I miss the leaf shaped blade and 4mm stock.

The only thing the Superleaf needed, other than trimming off the hook at the end of the handle, was a pivot and frame that was as relatively strong as the 4mm thick blade. Putting a blade that thick on a knife with a tiny pivot and thin liners didn't mesh well, in my opinion.
Kinda like this? :D

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Tuff is one bad azz knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Strider makes a very nice knife, though different in man y respects. Don't know if there would be a meeting of the minds? I guess that Mick and I have not had the opportunity to get together to discuss it.

With the "Tuff" and the future "Shaman", the interest would have to be in what the collaboratioon would yield.

sal
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I only own CRK, Spyderco & Strider. I'd be in if I like the design. No leaf blade and no wire clip. Like the feel of the wire clip, but it's not hard use in the least. I'd like something in the SnG size as well and keeping it under 5oz is also important to me.

Where it's made is important to me. It would not be an inexpensive knife regardless and if the difference is $100 so be it.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
peter469

Post by peter469 »

If it's too much like a Strider then why not just buy a Strider?

As for the nightmare grind. I have a MSC NM and it's not the most practical grind