Dragonfly popularity

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Willamette

Re: Dragonfly popularity

Post by Willamette »

My favorite daily carry knife for many years. I carry it without a clip in the front pocket of my jeans and here are a few reasons I love this knife:
-small and narrow format when folded fits flat in the bottom of my pocket so it doesn't try to rotate when walking/running and the ends don't print through my pant leg when seated
-light weight makes the knife disappear in my pocket (don't even know I'm carrying it)
-useful blade material and shape capable of 90% of the cutting tasks I ask of it
-small enough to not frighten non-knife people when used in the public eye
-ergonomic in the hand during use
-great value when I look at the other knives in my collection which cost more and have done very little in comparison to my Dragonfly
-popular knife which has remained in the Spyderco line-up for decades and I am confident I can replace it easily if the need should arise.
-secure in lockup and when closed so I have little fear the knife will close during use and open during carry
-signature Spyder-hole in the blade makes opening easier than other designs
-material quality; no issues in all the years of carrying it
-good looking quality knife that has endured years of service
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

The Dragonfly is my second favorite "line" of Spyderco knives, next to the Caly's. The fob (on the Salt) makes it indeed feel like a full-sized handle. I carry it at least once a week and it is my go-to blade for when I don't know where I'll be or what I'll be doing. It looks small enough and the yellow color tend to not scare people when I need it in a non-knife friendly place. Yet it performs as well for most tasks as any knife I own. The serrated H1 stays SHARP! And it doesn't require immediate cleaning after use without risking rust. Love it.

Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I find myself really liking the Manbug but never fell in love with the Delica. I'm sort of afraid to try the DF but need to make a decision soon with the SB supply dwindling.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Cujobob wrote:I find myself really liking the Manbug but never fell in love with the Delica. I'm sort of afraid to try the DF but need to make a decision soon with the SB supply dwindling.
What does 'SB supply' refer to?

:confused:

Spending Budget?

Thanks...
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

I have both the DF and the Manbug. I find the Manbug is in my pocket all the time. There maybe a larger folder too depending where I am and what I plan.
Mike
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

wolfgaze wrote:
Cujobob wrote:I find myself really liking the Manbug but never fell in love with the Delica. I'm sort of afraid to try the DF but need to make a decision soon with the SB supply dwindling.

Spending Budget?

Thanks...
I believe that Bob means that the Dragonflies with Super Blue steel are becoming scarcer. SB is a common Forum acronym for Super Blue steel, produced by Hitatchi. :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My first :spyder: was a serrated "G-2" FRN D'fly. I put that knife through **** and it was still a good knife when someone lost it. I think the Dragonfly is the smallest model that I could see carrying every day as a primary knife. The ergos are excellent, and it is tough enough for almost any job its length is not a hindrance in.
quickster47

Post by quickster47 »

Even with my larger than normal hands I find the Dragonfly always in one of my pockets. Personally, I think it is the perfect knife, not too big, not too small, but just right. I now have 19 of them and my collection is almost complete.

Carl
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
wolfgaze wrote:

Spending Budget?

Thanks...
I believe that Bob means that the Dragonflies with Super Blue steel are becoming scarcer. SB is a common Forum acronym for Super Blue steel, produced by Hitatchi. :)
Thank you!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

xceptnl wrote:
Donut wrote:I have the G-10 and a few FRN models. I don't like the G-10. It's heavier and doesn't feel any stronger. Once you figure out that the FRN models are plenty strong for a small knife, you can save yourself some weight. :)
Strange because it is the opposite for me. I like the heft of the G-10 model and I do "feel" it is stronger (though this may only be in my head). It is like a little Caly in my mind and I need to remember to do a blade swap one of these days for the Superblue or ZDP.
Do it.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it just hits a sweet spot in size for people who like small folders. It gives pretty much a full grip in a package that's crazy light and easy to carry. I really wish it were made in Golden so we could see more of those steel options. I would be so happy with one in S110V.
dwong

Post by dwong »

Got the Etched D-fly, blade too thick for such small size so I traded away,.
However handle/size felt great in hand, plan to get FRN Salt, I think that grind will help w/ slicing etc.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have an all Stainless model on my keychain. I think that's the perfect place for it when attached by way of a small ring like the one that comes on a Maglite Solitaire to a larger steel ring about one and a quarter inches in diameter. This allows you to place your little finger in the larger ring as an extension of the handle just like a mini Karambit.This knife is built like a Rolex and perfectly capable of anything up to and including self defense. That's why its on my keys because they're always in my hand