Missed my flight rather than give up my Spydie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Oh boy, this strikes a chord with me, posted about it last year. Still brings a tear to my eye remembering my long-lost blue para 2:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... to-the-TSA
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

Back in the innocent days of 1990, I took my first Spyderco, a PE Delica, through airport security. I had obtained the knife, along with six others like it, to give to my groomsmen for my wedding. I presented them at our rehearsal dinner, during which two of my buds cut themselves despite my warnings. The wine had eroded their coordination and none of them had experience with such "modern" knives. A couple band-aids prepared them for the wedding the next morning. A few days after that joyous occasion, my new wife and I headed for our honeymoon. I and my Delica passed through the airport metal detector without notice, whereas my wife was temporarily detained when she set off the alarm. After searching her thoroughly, much to our consternation I must say, it was determined that a wire in the brim of her hat had set off the alarm. Ironic, isn't it, especially when viewed from today's perspective, that my "weapon" made it through, but my wife's hat provoked a search. I still have that knife in my Spyderco roll, but the hat is long gone.
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Shakyamuni wrote:Oh boy, this strikes a chord with me, posted about it last year. Still brings a tear to my eye remembering my long-lost blue para 2:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... to-the-TSA
Man... I read your post and I gotta say that I feel for you.
That was a beauty of a knife... :(
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Editor Emeritus wrote:Hi Johnnie,
Had an airline here called Wardair and they did just that. You surrendered your knife and they gave it back to you upon arrival. That was in the early '80s, a much more civilized and "common sense" time...
Tony
I just don't understand why they don't still do this? It seems that it would be a compromise between the personal freedom and the safety: They hold the knife and give it back to you when you leave the plane. Right?

Also, why did they discontinue providing mail pouches? It is not a cost issue for them if the person pays extra for the envelope.
Waco

Post by Waco »

The TSA isn't concerned with customer satisfaction.
TBob

Post by TBob »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I just don't understand why they don't still do this? It seems that it would be a compromise between the personal freedom and the safety: They hold the knife and give it back to you when you leave the plane. Right?

Also, why did they discontinue providing mail pouches? It is not a cost issue for them if the person pays extra for the envelope.
TSA = security theater. Just like in Blade Runner - if you aren't them, then you're the little people.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
dwong

Post by dwong »

A month ago, forgot Salt knife in my backpack(use for hike too) on way to Alaska from San Diego, lucky a nice TSA agent took me outside advise me to mail it back to myself, and then took me back in w/o waiting in line again so I won't miss my flight.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

Should have told the agent - every flight needs a Co-Pilot !!! Way to stick to your trust companion of all these years. Unless it was Wedding or Death in immediate family i would have done the same.
Blue Possum
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hey, AUXCOM. I think you're crazy!

...I would have done the same thing.

Thanks for sharing.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

For any looking to seek further entertainment with what the TSA find entertaining, follow their Instagram page. I don't recommend liking any posts as they are quite silly, but it is good for a laugh to read and observe.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*