More Information On The GAUNTLET Sharpener yet??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

More Information On The GAUNTLET Sharpener yet??

Post by JD Spydo »

In the early part of July our good Brother Paladin had a thread entitled "Sharpmaker & Long Blades". It obviously was a thread about sharpening and a lot of interesting information changed hands. But on the 4th of July in the year of our LORD 2014 Mr. Sal Glesser dropped a delightful information bomb on us that I've been patiently waiting to hear follow up information about>> He was responding to a post that I wrote to Brother Paladin asking advice for sharpening long blades on the 204 Sharpmaker.

I informed him that I had an older Spyderco sharpening unit called the GALLEY V sharpening system that I used for long blades and long culinary blades. Then Mr. Sal Glesser chimed in and said that they had a new Sharpener in the works called the GAUNTLET and he also commented about a long shot possibility of bringing back the GALLEY V or something similar to it. He also said that the GAUNTLET also has "cat's eye" shaped stones similar to what the GALLEY V system had at one time. Needless to say I was excited to hear the news not only to have another unit to do long blades with but having those "Cat's Eye" stones which can do a variety of different shaped and different style of blades.

I know that Mr. Glesser and company are extremely busy and have a lot on their plate but I am anxious as many of the rest of you are to learn more about this new sharpener called the "GAUNTLET">> or even information about the possible resurrection of a GALLEY V type sharpening unit.

I've had such good luck using those stones from the GALLEY V to sharpen recurve and REverse S blades and I find those stones to work miracles on the Dodo model in particular. So please Sir if you can tell us what we can expect from the GAUNTLET? Also maybe a time line when it will be available? And what types of cutlery will benefit from this new unit?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very interesting. Thanx JD.
sal

Post by sal »

We're working on them.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'll be keeping my eye out for any updates on this system.
The design of the Galley V was perfect for some blade lengts and shapes.
A resurrection of this sharpening system with some enhancements would be more than welcome on this side :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DutchBlades wrote:I'll be keeping my eye out for any updates on this system.
The design of the Galley V was perfect for some blade lengts and shapes.
A resurrection of this sharpening system with some enhancements would be more than welcome on this side :D
What I loved about the GALLEY V system was those "Cat's Eye" stones. They are almost perfect for the Dodo and most plain edged Hawkbills for final blade finishing. Those "Cat's Eye" stones are so versatile and if the GAUNTLET is equiped with something similar or just like it I will more than welcome the new unit.

As successful as the 204 Sharpmaker has been for Spyderco then the Gaunlet system should make Spyderco truly a "top dog" in the sharpening tool market. Which in some respects they already are as far as I'm concerned.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

JD Spydo wrote:What I loved about the GALLEY V system was those "Cat's Eye" stones. They are almost perfect for the Dodo and most plain edged Hawkbills for final blade finishing. Those "Cat's Eye" stones are so versatile and if the GAUNTLET is equiped with something similar or just like it I will more than welcome the new unit.

As successful as the 204 Sharpmaker has been for Spyderco then the Gaunlet system should make Spyderco truly a "top dog" in the sharpening tool market. Which in some respects they already are as far as I'm concerned.
There is no doubt about Spyderco being on the map.
They've put themselves on there by the first sharpmaker, now the sharpmaker we all know and love.
Plus they have the cheaper Duckfoot sharpening system by Byrd.
For the money, the sharpmaker is the best you can get if you'd ask me.
The Gauntlet could make a permanent mark on the community,
they well deserve it.

I've gotta admit I have been looking at an Apex Pro sharpening system,
but for now, Sharpmaker all the way :D
Other good sharpening systems are just way too expensive and most of the times not better.
The price is just right and it's quik and easy to assemble and store away till future use :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:We're working on them.

sal
Thanks for keeping us up to speed on that one Mr. Glesser. I know I'm not the only one looking very forward to this new sharpening system.

With all the new stuff like CBN stones and hopefully to see a comeback with 701 Profiles I'm sure the next 2 years will see a really nice selection of great sharpening equipment come forward.

I just hope that when the new unit is really for sales that they aren't as hard to get as was the 204 Sharpmaker when it first arrived on the scene. I actually saw the 204 advertised in 2 different knife magazines 8 months before I was able to get my hands on one. I certainly hope that product introduction has changed since then >> but I'm sure it has by now. Also I hope you can buy the stones separately like you could with the GALLEY V and the 204 Sharpmaker.

I also hope that the Gauntlet will have stones in 4 grits>> i.e. medium, fine, ultra-fine and either diamond or coarse CBN. Having the 4 differnt grits really makes the Sharpmaker the premier sharpening kit that it is.
sir_mike

Re: More Information On The GAUNTLET Sharpener yet??

Post by sir_mike »

So when is this Gauntlet coming out? I am wanting something different and have been holding off since I heard about this but I cant wait forever!! :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:So when is this Gauntlet coming out? I am wanting something different and have been holding off since I heard about this but I cant wait forever!! :)
Just look at "Sal's" post which about the third one down. Your guess is about as good as any of ours. R & D on new products can take some time for sure. And I'm sure that they have delays in bringing anything to market. But you can be sure that when Spyderco does bring it to market it will be a great unit I'm certain. Look at how long it took to get the 204 Sharpmaker on line.

Again I'm hoping that they do bring back the 701 Profiles and in more grits.

Also I"m hoping that we at least see them bring back the stones out of the old Galley V kit as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that when a new product is in it's research and development stage many aspects of the product definitely have to be hush, hush. That's completely understandable and I respect Spyderco for keeping mum about it.

But I will say there are a few features that I hope it has>> first of all I hope it can do almost everything that the Spyderco 701 Profiles can do>> second I hope it will work on big knives easier than the 204 Sharpmaker can. I'm sure that they have come up with a sharpening tool that might even replace many of the sharpening tools that they have on the market presently. Because they didn't eliminate the 701 Profiles without having something in the pipeline that may even be better.

But I do hope this new sharpening tool comes to fruition sooner rather than later. Spyderco has come up with some excellent sharpening tools in my opinion. So whenever they can let us in on some of the developments I do hope that they will let us in on it. It's been my experience in the past that Spyderco is constantly improving on it's products and I'm sure that the GAUNTLET will be no exception. Looking very forward to the new tool.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Any updates on this system? Been waiting patiently, but I just keep wondering :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

paladin

Post by paladin »

Still at my radar console, but nothing on the screen....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DutchBlades wrote:Any updates on this system? Been waiting patiently, but I just keep wondering :p
I've been looking forward to the release of the GAUNTLET Sharpening system for quite some time now myself and I'll certainly generate the funds ASAP as soon as it is available.

Some of the information I got on it some time back sure has me anxious for it's release. AS great of a sharpening tool as the 204 Sharpmaker has been for all of us over the years I have no doubt that this is going to be a super good tool>> I'm absolutely certain of it.

Other than seeing the return of the 701 Profiles return and hopefully in more grits and possibly in CBN as well there is no other sharpening tool I'm looking more forward to. Also I do hope we see the GOLDENSTONE released in more grit selections as well. I've really been having fun experimenting with my GOLDENSTONE here of late.

I'm hoping we'll see the GAUNTLET before the end of this year>> but I'm just guessing because truthfully I'm surprised it's taking this long since we first heard of it. But you can be sure it's going to be a great tool kit that everyone here is probably going to want.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Is it time to revive this thread? Any word from Amsterdam about a release of the gauntlet?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

What about a system for my beloved spyderedges ?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I really, really want to see a picture of this thing. I am excited about this one. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
paladin

Post by paladin »

All quiet on the western front....
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice thread, JD! It's on my radar now too :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I really, really want to see a picture of this thing. I am excited about this one. :)
I'm with you there BFK all the way. it's been almost 18 months since we first heard of the GAUNTLET sharpening kit/system and it's high time we got updated on it. Please Mr. Glesser with all due respect we've all been very patient but the suspense is truly overwhelming at this point. We have so many sharpening demands with all the new, unique models that have hit the market and it's high time for a successor to the 204 Sharpmaker to make it's debut.

If you all have one on display over the the Amsterdam show then by all means let's unveil it :cool:

Spyderco is just as well known for their great sharpening tools as they are for their very unique folders and fixed blade knives. So let's start off the new model year with a new Spyderco sharpening system. Also how about an update on the status of the GOLDENSTONE, the base that was spoken of and whether or not that concept is going any further? We are all anxious to buy and test drive the GAUNTLET>> and I have high hopes for this new sharpening system.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There was mention of the Goldenstone base being at the Amsterdam meet so hopefully we will have more info soon. I think you will see this come to fruition. At the seconds sale I was bugging Sal about a few of the upcoming sharpening products and he said that they were working on a base for the Goldenstone then and he seemed like they were moving forward with a few ideas that were intended to give the Goldenstone some support. I was really trying to figure out where they were at with the new pocket stone. They are supposed to be making a pocket stone that is diamond/fine ceramic that has a bunch of other features built in including the ability to sharpen serrations. I LOVE me some pocket stones. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?