More Information On The GAUNTLET Sharpener yet??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Drahkis

Re: More Information On The GAUNTLET Sharpener yet??

Post by Drahkis »

sal wrote:We had a number of proto's that didn't make the grade and we had difficulty explaining the problem. Finally Eric had to sit down with the plastics people and eventually they understood. they made a new proto, which we just approved of yesterday.

sal

Good news that some of us have been waiting for, so Sal does this mean there's a chance we'll see the Gauntlet this year?
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote:We had a number of proto's that didn't make the grade and we had difficulty explaining the problem. Finally Eric had to sit down with the plastics people and eventually they understood. they made a new proto, which we just approved of yesterday.

sal
This is some of my most awaited GOOD news out of Golden, thanks for keeping us abreast of things Sal! :) :spyder:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sal
Thank you for responding, Sal. Is there any way we can see a photo or concept design rendering?

And I realize you constantly get bombarded by off-topic questions when you respond in a thread, but this one has to do with sharpeners...

Is there any talk/thought of introducing a Sharpmaker with more shallow angles for our modern high-tech steels? Maybe a 20/30 instead of the standard 30/40?

Thank you, sir.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well that's great news that we are getting closer to a new Spyderco sharpening tool that I've personally been looking forward to for a long time. And I'm sure I speak for quite a few others here as well.

I'm anxious to see how it's going to work with Hawkbill blades ( SE & PE) and Reverse S blades as well ( SE & PE). Whenever you all can put a YOUTUBE or any other video together on the unit it will be greatly appreciated.
sal

Post by sal »

The gauntlet is a design for the non commercial kitchens. One angle, 40 degrees. Simple, easy and effective. works with plain or serrated.

The Golden stone will be 40 degrees and with a fixture, 30 degrees.

The new "Galley V" will be bolted to a table (commercial) and is 20 degrees.

sal
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sal wrote:The gauntlet is a design for the non commercial kitchens. One angle, 40 degrees. Simple, easy and effective. works with plain or serrated.

sal
Sal, you have the uncanny ability to come into a thread and nonchalantly drop new information that at once excites and yet also confounds! Haha!

This information about new sharpening equipment is welcome news, but leads to so many more questions!

Thank you for respecting your customers enough to interact and give us more knowledge on upcoming products.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:The gauntlet is a design for the non commercial kitchens. One angle, 40 degrees. Simple, easy and effective. works with plain or serrated.

Sal??? The New "Galley V"??? This is the first I've heard of this. Are the stones for the new "GALLEY V" going to be in the "cat's eye" shape the same as the ones on the original unit?

Also when might be the GOLDENSTONE be made available in more grit selections? This is great news needless to say and I'm going to start pooling cash for all of the aforementioned. JD :spyder: O
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hmmm.... I have been excited about the Galley V and Gauntlet but it sounds like they aren't what I am after in the end. Oh well. I still have my Sharpmaker and it works quite well. :)

There was talk about a ceramic/diamond pocket stone. Any news on that? I like my Double Stuff and my Falkniven DC4 but the Doublestuff isn't aggressive enough for field repairs and the DC4 isn't as fine as I want. So far I have had the best luck with an eze-lap diamond rod for repairs and the Doublestuff for sharpening but I would much rather only carry one sharpening tool in the woods and the Spyderco fine on one side with about a 400-600 grit diamond stone on the other would work great for me. If it was 4" x 1.5" then all the better. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

The Galley V will use the same 12" Cat's eye stones, but the angle has changed to 20 degrees inclusive. Everything is still a ways off.

Hi Darby,

Still waiting on the CBN half. already have the fine stones in house.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Great to hear! Thanks Sal.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sal?

Thought I'd bump this sharpener thread to get your current thinking on the Golden Stone's expansion into a kit.

Will the 40/30 stand/fixture be sold separately to current Golden Stone owners? When do you imagine this stand will reach the market? And the CBN version of the Stone?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey SAL?? will the new "GALLEY V" sharpening kit still have those really nice "Cat's Eye" stones that the original GALLEY V did back in the mid to late 90s?

If so I also hope those Galley V, Cat's Eye stones will come in different grits like Medium, Ultra-fine ect and even diamond would be cool too. I've used my old GALLEY V stones a lot on Hawkbill and Reverse S blades with great results. This is going to be a great year for sharpening tools.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

JD Spydo wrote:Hey SAL?? will the new "GALLEY V" sharpening kit still have those really nice "Cat's Eye" stones that the original GALLEY V did back in the mid to late 90s?

If so I also hope those Galley V, Cat's Eye stones will come in different grits like Medium, Ultra-fine ect and even diamond would be cool too. I've used my old GALLEY V stones a lot on Hawkbill and Reverse S blades with great results. This is going to be a great year for sharpening tools.
From Sal:
"Hi JD,

The Galley V will use the same 12" Cat's eye stones, but the angle has changed to 20 degrees inclusive. Everything is still a ways off.

Hi Darby,

Still waiting on the CBN half. already have the fine stones in house.

sal"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah sorry I didn't see Sal's reply :o Glad to see that the newer GALLEY V unit will have the same "cat's eye" stones and I do hope they have at least 3 to 4 grit selections. I've always liked the GALLEY V for big culinary knives and extra long bread knives.

I'm still waiting on the GAUNTLET any day now ;)

Also if the 701 Profiles ever make it back to the main line up then there will be hardly no reason to shop anywhere else for sharpening tools because Spyderco is literally covering all the bases it seems. Let us know when the GAUNTLET is about to see the open market :)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Are there any new information you can give us Sal? Thanks!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:Are there any new information you can give us Sal? Thanks!
Talk about the anxiety of long term anticipation :rolleyes: The wait for the release of the GAUNTLET is truly comparable to waiting for the government to release it's findings on the Kennedy assassination or the Roswell crash :eek:

OK :D OK :D And I respectively give Sal a break because I know he has a ton of new products on his plate at this time. But it has been a long time since we first heard of the GAUNTLET and with that system having more versatility on sharpening Spyderedges, Reverse S blades and Hawkbills you can say that we are truly anxious to see this new sharpening system come to market.

And Spyderco has many other sharpening products on the horizon so we've just got to be a little more patient. But we like Spyderco's sharpening gear so much that we are all anxious to get it ASAP. So please Sal don't for one second think we're trying to be chronic complainers because we are just really anxious to test drive these new sharpening tools>>>and the sooner the better I might add ;)
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:12 pm
We had a number of proto's that didn't make the grade and we had difficulty explaining the problem. Finally Eric had to sit down with the plastics people and eventually they understood. they made a new proto, which we just approved of yesterday.

sal
Sal, any update you could provide with the Gauntlet or the new Galley V?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Just saw BladeHQs video with Eric @ SHOT. The stones on the Gauntlet have an odd shape: part pointed, part elliptical. One nice thing about the Sharpmaker was the flats of the stones; one could stop short of having the tip slide off, which rounds it a little each time. That won't be possible on this one.

Also, about pricing: The Sharpmaker is currently selling for around $68, including both medium and fine stones. Initial pricing on the Gauntlet is $52 with one set of stones, only one angle, no lid, etc. The set with two sets of stones is going to be $107. That's about the same as a Sharpmaker with both stock sets of stones, plus a set of coarse diamond rods AND with more capability.

Forgive me for saying, but if this is supposed to be the "value sharpener" it's falling way short at least with this first release pricing.

Side Note: What I'd like to see is longer stones available for the Sharpmaker, even if they won't store on board. They should include a decent case; the same caliber as the Sharpmaker itself. (as opposed to the really cheap tubes that my coarse diamond stones came in)
-Jeremy
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Smaug wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:14 pm
Just saw BladeHQs video with Eric @ SHOT. The stones on the Gauntlet have an odd shape: part pointed, part elliptical. One nice thing about the Sharpmaker was the flats of the stones; one could stop short of having the tip slide off, which rounds it a little each time. That won't be possible on this one.

Also, about pricing: The Sharpmaker is currently selling for around $68, including both medium and fine stones. Initial pricing on the Gauntlet is $52 with one set of stones, only one angle, no lid, etc. The set with two sets of stones is going to be $107. That's about the same as a Sharpmaker with both stock sets of stones, plus a set of coarse diamond rods AND with more capability.

Forgive me for saying, but if this is supposed to be the "value sharpener" it's falling way short at least with this first release pricing.

Side Note: What I'd like to see is longer stones available for the Sharpmaker, even if they won't store on board. They should include a decent case; the same caliber as the Sharpmaker itself. (as opposed to the really cheap tubes that my coarse diamond stones came in)

From what I just seen, the two rod version includes the Fine and CBN rods, so no Medium rods for this sharpener???
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sir_mike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 pm

From what I just seen, the two rod version includes the Fine and CBN rods, so no Medium rods for this sharpener???

Correct. Sal mentioned that the mediums had difficulties... I can't remember if it was in their manufacture or that they were too fragile in this new shape.