Domino CTS-204P with Blue G-10 BBS exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

FCM415 wrote:Feeding BBS your money enables/encourages them to come out with more overpriced exclusives (questionable business practices included). This is what people want so this is what people will get!
Great! I wonder what we'll get next. Maybe some more M4 from BBS?

It seems like you are pitted against BBS. Seriously, what do your have against them? They have a wide array of fairly rare Spydercos, all slightly overpriced, but not very far beyond what the same models go for on Ebay. And they get great exclusive runs for us--without BBS, there'd be no M4 Manix, no M390 PM2, no S90V Military, no blue Lil' Matriarch, no Elmax PM2, and no CTS-204P Domino. Maybe they charge a little more than we would like, but still, they get us some awesome knives.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Great! I wonder what we'll get next. Maybe some more M4 from BBS?
Haha that's what I was thinking. I hope they get more blue PM2's.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

GoldenSpydie,
The chicken or the egg man... The chicken or the egg. If they never produced them, other knives would take their place. And those great knives... We wouldnt have a clue because they never would have existed. Howd you know we're missing out? How was the Spydie world a day before this 204p Domino was announced?

I know BBS is reading these threads. M4 Spydies it is!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Haha that's what I was thinking. I hope they get more blue PM2's.
Yes please! I would for sure grab an M390 PM2 if they were reintroduced.

What about a Swick 3 in H1, like many people have been asking for? I bet that with BBS, it could become a reality.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Anything is possible with BBS! Many things that arent from other dealers. From no guaranteed delivery and on down.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

This subject isn't going to be settled here or anytime in the future. People have their opinions of BBS and that's not going to change.
Invective

Post by Invective »

GoldenSpydie wrote: It seems like you are pitted against BBS. Seriously, what do your have against them? They have a wide array of fairly rare Spydercos, all slightly overpriced, but not very far beyond what the same models go for on Ebay. And they get great exclusive runs for us--without BBS, there'd be no M4 Manix, no M390 PM2, no S90V Military, no blue Lil' Matriarch, no Elmax PM2, and no CTS-204P Domino. Maybe they charge a little more than we would like, but still, they get us some awesome knives.
Well, there;d still be an S90V Millie :D Just without the different pivot and commanding a much higher price :(

Is there any feedback on the S90V Blue G-10 pivoted Millie? Can anyone tell any difference between it and the regular pivot?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I bought an M390 Para 2 when they were first originally announced and it's one of my favorite knives. Subsequent BBS exclusives have failed to snag me, usually due to the high price. With how quickly a lot of these sprints seem to disappear when sold at a reasonable price, I'm a bit surprised that Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe hasn't commissioned more runs, as his orange Manix 2 had no problem selling and I'm sure if he got another run of a high demand model with orange scales and alternative steel we would buy him out in under a week again. Knifeworks seems to be the only other one regularly getting runs done (M4 Millie, M390 Millie, 204P Para 2, S90V Manix 2 XL, S90V Yojimbo 2) and they sell out quickly as well. As someone stated earlier, it's pretty much just like printing money. They know what we want and they know the knives will sell at decent prices. I just wish BBS wasn't one of the only ones willing to do these runs. If I had the cash to lay out for a run, I'd order up a batch of M4 Para 2s and they'd all sell out in a couple days... :rolleyes:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jabba359 wrote: I'm a bit surprised that Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe hasn't commissioned more runs, as his orange Manix 2 had no problem selling and I'm sure if he got another run of a high demand model with orange scales and alternative steel we would buy him out in under a week again.
The most likely guess is that committing the capital and then dealing with the sales orgy and online hate when the attractively-priced exclusives sell out in a day or two just aren't attractive to dealers. If you think about it, there's nothing but complaints either way. BBS gets flak for selling at relatively high prices, and KW and CS get flak for not being able to give a hot exclusive to everyone who wants one (even if they only check in here once a year) and for having trouble dealing with the avalanche of web orders that bury their servers and their staff. :o
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ya know what fellas, it would be cool to see the Manix XL go to M390 for regular production.
However, that would prolly up the price. And so far, s30v has been outstanding for me and my little brother.
I recently gifted him my stainless s30v Manix XL, and he's just amazed
at the edge its taken and how well its performed. I reckon its easy to overlook just how good s30v as well as VG10
for the matter is for regular folk. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but while we were on the subject of steels.
mattman

Post by mattman »

JNewell wrote:The most likely guess is that committing the capital and then dealing with the sales orgy and online hate when the attractively-priced exclusives sell out in a day or two just aren't attractive to dealers. If you think about it, there's nothing but complaints either way. BBS gets flak for selling at relatively high prices, and KW and CS get flak for not being able to give a hot exclusive to everyone who wants one (even if they only check in here once a year) and for having trouble dealing with the avalanche of web orders that bury their servers and their staff. :o
Excellent points all around.

Only comment I would add, is that if the only problem people had with BBS was pricing, there would likely be a lot less vitriol... It's the rest of their policies along with the higher pricing that makes them so polarizing, IMHO.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Meh, Domino doesn't do it for me, pass. I like my 204P Southard style! :D
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

What about indirectly feeding BBS by ensuring there is an active secondary market for their exclusives? Not always so black and white, many shades of grey.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote: I'm a bit surprised that Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe hasn't commissioned more runs, as his orange Manix 2 had no problem selling and I'm sure if he got another run of a high demand model with orange scales and alternative steel we would buy him out in under a week again.
I still hope to see Orange G10 Native5 with XHP :)
jabba359 wrote: If I had the cash to lay out for a run, I'd order up a batch of M4 Para 2s and they'd all sell out in a couple days... :rolleyes:
kyle,
I hope that you will make sufficient $$$ to repeat the same with N5 :) I will buy one even with M4 (strongly prefer stainless).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I wander what it does cost BBS or any other dealer for the matter to commission an exclusive?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bh49 wrote:I still hope to see Orange G10 Native5 with XHP :)
That would be most excellent! :D I finally broke down last weekend and ordered a set of orange G10 Native 5 scales, I'll certainly post pics when they're ready. I'm pretty excited to see the finished product... +1 for Jeff at CS commissioning an exclusive run of his own!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:That would be most excellent! :D I finally broke down last weekend and ordered a set of orange G10 Native 5 scales, I'll certainly post pics when they're ready. I'm pretty excited to see the finished product... +1 for Jeff at CS commissioning an exclusive run of his own!
Ive been very happy with the Domino which of course has CTS-XHP. A very fine steel :)
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Kind of like Jeff at CS and his orange exclusives...
I would buy an orange g-10 domino in a heart beat.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

MacLaren wrote:I wander what it does cost BBS or any other dealer for the matter to commission an exclusive?
MSRP/2 x quantity of run=ballpark cost

In the case of this knife, $340/2 x 800 units (I'm guessing)=$136,000
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:I still hope to see Orange G10 Native5 with XHP :)
I am equally hoping to possibly see a Native Lightweight in Orange with a Carpenter steel.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*