Domino CTS-204P with Blue G-10 BBS exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Invective

Post by Invective »

JNewell wrote:At least one other dealer that people speak highly of has done exactly the same thing with sprints.
Mind sending me a PM on which other dealer did that? Guess another dealer goes on my do not buy from list.

Thanks!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Image
Awesome. Will preorder soon. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx for the pic LC. Believe I'll pass on this one as I like my blue lightning Domino better.
That looks like the same G10 used on their Military model.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

What dealers other than KW's, CS and Bento has done Spyderco dealer exclusives? I might be missing 1 or 2 but those are the one that I know of..

CS is a good honest dealer but hasn't done any for so long that it seems they are out of doing exclusives so that leaves KW and Bento..

Why don't some of the other well known good honest dealers like NG, KC, GP, BHQ, Howes etc do these dealer exclusives instead of just KW's and Bento..

I realize that it takes a a good amount of money upfront to do these exclusives but commissioning say a 1000 piece M4 Para2 or K390/S110V Millie would be like printing money..

As long as no other dealer(other than KW)is willing to step up to the plate then I think we can expect to see Bento gladly fill that vacuum..
mattman

Post by mattman »

There have been several distributor exclusives... The last one I recall is the blue twill domino...

Blue Ridge Knives and Moteng have both commissioned exclusives recently. I think the brown PM2 S35VN was a distributer exclusive.

Edit:

CS just did the pink Ladybug. Still in stock, actually.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I've been thinking about this one a lot. I can't get past the toy-like appearance of the blue, and I don't like 204P over XHP enough to justify the extra cost.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:I agree. Ebay does have a much wider audience... Many have no idea what BBS or KW is. They should still research what they are buying though, esp. at those prices.
Yes, and not just knives, all kinds of things. It's a case of paying a (steep, often) premium for convenience. We all probably do it to some extent. I don't go down to Costco to buy toilet paper. ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I've been thinking about this one a lot. I can't get past the toy-like appearance of the blue, and I don't like 204P over XHP enough to justify the extra cost.
My personal experience with blue G10 has been that it picks up dirt very quickly and looks (IMHO/YMMV) pretty nasty when dirty.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Philo Beddoe wrote:What dealers other than KW's, CS and Bento has done Spyderco dealer exclusives? I might be missing 1 or 2 but those are the one that I know of..

CS is a good honest dealer but hasn't done any for so long that it seems they are out of doing exclusives so that leaves KW and Bento..

Why don't some of the other well known good honest dealers like NG, KC, GP, BHQ, Howes etc do these dealer exclusives instead of just KW's and Bento..

I realize that it takes a a good amount of money upfront to do these exclusives but commissioning say a 1000 piece M4 Para2 or K390/S110V Millie would be like printing money..

As long as no other dealer(other than KW)is willing to step up to the plate then I think we can expect to see Bento gladly fill that vacuum..
Probably (my guesses) because it's a PITA to set it up, a PITA to deal with the customer stampede when the knives arrive, and it ties up a good bit of capital for what are mostly pretty small businesses.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JNewell wrote:Probably (my guesses) because it's a PITA to set it up, a PITA to deal with the customer stampede when the knives arrive, and it ties up a good bit of capital for what are mostly pretty small businesses.
Which makes total sense for BBS since this is the only way they get traffic on their site. Latching on Spyderco like a leech.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
paladin

Post by paladin »

Philo Beddoe wrote:What dealers other than KW's, CS and Bento has done Spyderco dealer exclusives? I might be missing 1 or 2 but those are the one that I know of..
KnifeCenter had the brown CTS-XHP Native here: http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PBN ... -exclusive
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

We are constantly evaluating every part of our distribution chain. Our discussions and decisions are of course confidential.

We do appreciate everyone's feedback and we are listening (just like always).

I would ask that you remember Shiny Footprints.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The longly unused Exclusives page is a good source of info:

http://www.spyderco.com/exclusives/
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Invective

Post by Invective »

http://www.spyderco.com/exclusives/

Here's an incomplete but good list of what exclusives Spyderco has made.

EDIT: Oops 1 minute slower than Donut. That's slightly awkward :confused:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

TazKristi wrote:We are constantly evaluating every part of our distribution chain. Our discussions and decisions are of course confidential.

We do appreciate everyone's feedback and we are listening (just like always).

I would ask that you remember Shiny Footprints.

Kristi
Wise words as usual from Golden (from one of the many suppliers of them there)... I am personally thankful for all of the outfits that have sponsored exclusive runs as they make for some of the most exciting parts of my collection. Since I prefer CC versions anyways, I usually can find one from one of my favorite dealers who usually (and always in the case of NGK :) ) sell their few CC knives from the BBS exclusive runs for less than what BBS lists them for themselves. When I have bought directly from them, it was a very pleasant interaction with their staff. I can see where folks have their valid points about negative aspects of their business model, for me it just makes it necessary to seek their exclusives through other channels.

On another note, what's with the ultra shiny clip? Here's to a great weekend everyone... Cheers, Rad
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Donut

Post by Donut »

Invective wrote:EDIT: Oops 1 minute slower than Donut. That's slightly awkward :confused:
Thanks for the backup. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:On another note, what's with the ultra shiny clip? Here's to a great weekend everyone... Cheers, Rad
Have you seen a photo of the titanium side? I haven't found one yet.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Good point. Given the general scarcity of exclusives, in spite of the complaints, I'd say thank you to BBS. :spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Wise words as usual from Golden (from one of the many suppliers of them there)... I am personally thankful for all of the outfits that have sponsored exclusive runs as they make for some of the most exciting parts of my collection. Since I prefer CC versions anyways, I usually can find one from one of my favorite dealers who usually (and always in the case of NGK :) ) sell their few CC knives from the BBS exclusive runs for less than what BBS lists them for themselves. When I have bought directly from them, it was a very pleasant interaction with their staff. I can see where folks have their valid points about negative aspects of their business model, for me it just makes it necessary to seek their exclusives through other channels.

On another note, what's with the ultra shiny clip? Here's to a great weekend everyone... Cheers, Rad
springnr

Post by springnr »

paladin wrote:Yup, not an indictment :) ...it's great that we got choices here in the USA...

BBS is savvy for hitching its wagon to Spyderco
More like a well harnessed team with both of them pulling, BBS even appears to be slacking a little.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Have you seen a photo of the titanium side? I haven't found one yet.
Here ya go! :D

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King