Spyderco Salsa On Craigslist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mathnerdm

Spyderco Salsa On Craigslist

Post by mathnerdm »

Hi, so I recently found a salsa on Craigslist. It's aluminum for both scales and has a pepper on the front scale with salsa written in the middle. I have no reason to think it's fake, other than I've never seen a salsa with only aluminum for the handle and with the pepper and salsa engraved. Is this a legit model I just haven't seen? Also, he's only asking $50 for it. What do yall know about this model? Thanks!
FDE

Post by FDE »

I've never seen one that didn't have an aluminum handle and most have the pepper engraving.
mathnerdm

Post by mathnerdm »

My apologies, I forgot to mention the aluminum is like a silver titanium color. Which is the color I've never seen.
mathnerdm

Post by mathnerdm »

FDE wrote:I've never seen one that didn't have an aluminum handle and most have the pepper engraving.
Yes, but I thought the only colors were black, blue, and cranberry. I know they do make a titanium but it doesn't have a pepper. Has anyone seen a silver aluminum salsa?
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I believe there were a few that did not have the engraving, however the silver color I do not know about. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along....
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Is the color of your Salsa depicted here?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Invective

Post by Invective »

Jay_Ev wrote:Is the color of your Salsa depicted here?

I think he's talking about the C71TNP. It's in your picture, and I had one before. It had the Salsa and Pepper Engraving as well.
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

Here's a few more to look at.

Tom

mathnerdm

Post by mathnerdm »

Jay_Ev wrote:Is the color of your Salsa depicted here?

YES! It's the one at the 3 o clock position. What model was it and why is it so hard to find online?
mathnerdm

Post by mathnerdm »

TSchloz wrote:Here's a few more to look at.

Tom

Yup, the silver aluminum one is it. Full plain edge blade with engraving. Thank you so much for posting these pics for me and helping me out. Means so much! So I take it this is a real model lol?
Jax

Post by Jax »

Cute n colorful little buggers aren't they?
Nice collections and pics guy's
mathnerdm

Post by mathnerdm »

One other thing, the blade is marked '046V' to the left of the thumb hole. He claims it means it's a collectors blade or something like that. Does that check out? I have seen a few other salsas marked similarly 'xxxV' so does that make it more valuable? What does it mean?
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

mathnerdm wrote:One other thing, the blade is marked '046V' to the left of the thumb hole. He claims it means it's a collectors blade or something like that. Does that check out? I have seen a few other salsas marked similarly 'xxxV' so does that make it more valuable? What does it mean?
It means it was one of the models that went to a collector club member. Does not really add or detract from the value.

If I remember my Salsa history correctly, the grey was actually supposed to be a tan or brown color. The anodizing did not come out as anticipated, and looked grey.

Tom
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

$50 is a steal for this knife. Even if its used IMO....
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sounds legit to me, and I'd be comfortable offering $50 for it. Let us know what you decide. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
mathnerdm

Post by mathnerdm »

SpyderNut wrote:Sounds legit to me, and I'd be comfortable offering $50 for it. Let us know what you decide. :)
It's also in awesome condition. I'm meeting up tomorrow so I'll let yall know if everything goes well.
markg

Post by markg »

I had a couple back in the day. Actually a nice knife. Was never sure of the reasoning with the pepper logo thingie...
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've only seen the black aluminum handled version without the pepper and "Salsa" engraving...as opposed to the titanium version, which are all unmarked I believe. And $50 is definitely a good price...I just recently picket up a titanium handled version...it's a cool little knife.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
mathnerdm

Post by mathnerdm »

Well I picked it up and settled at $50. Here are a couple pictures of the blade and then just the rest of my current spyderco SMALL collection. I have about just as many other spydies in my house as gifts to other people but these are just my personal blades. The salsa is such an awesome little big knife, I love everything about it! I live in San Antonio and while I'm not Mexican, I love the culture so it's that much more special :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nicely done, guy! :) You've got a great start to your collection too, by the way.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal