MT19P Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring PSF27

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

ordered some G10 scales for my mules from HT anyone familiar with these scales
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Working on mahogany scales for mine. 2x Loveless bolts and epoxy to hold them on. Will be finished to 600 grit, then lightly torched, then buffed with Tung oil.
Beautiful work on the scales, Eli, and thanks for the tips about heating the wood; I had never heard of that.
ManixFan wrote:I received my package from Sheathpro earlier this week and the Mules turned out awesome! The belt sheath was cool too but would probably be used only in certain situations. I will post pics of the mules sometime when I'm not feeling too lazy. I never did get around to opening up a Photobucket account so I will have to resize the image so that it can be uploaded to the forum.

For those that post pics directly to the forum - what pixel dimensions are necessary to reduce the photo to in order to meet the file size requirements of the forum?
I'm not sure of the pixel size for "attachment" photos, but photobucket has a resizing tool on the site. Also, if you upload them to photobucket, I'm pretty sure they are automatically resized to the correct size for the forum when you paste the urls into the forum... just sayin' ;) Also, when you post them, how about throwing in a shot or two of the Dragonfly pouch, maybe one with the knife peeping out... just a request.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

@Golden Spydie,

Those mahogany scales look fantastic. That's a fine looking mule.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

GoldenSpydie wrote:And it's done. The wood came out great--but the Loveless bolts still show major grind marks. It adds "character," but I'm debating whether or not to try polishing the bolts.
Wow I really like the effect from the torch. I'll have to try that some day. Well done, sir!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bolts, I don't think the grind marks are hurting much. I wouldn't want to risk marring the handles in the process, but that's just because I'm new to this and don't quite have the touch yet. What are they made out of? Is it easy to finish and polish?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

paladin wrote:looks classy...

I think it's a good call to polish the fastners...but that's just me...thanks for the pics!
Thanks. If I try to polish them, I'll probably use a Dremel with those tiny sanding pads. It spins so fast that a super-high-grit finish won't be needed; even 320 would make them shine with the Dremel.
DougC-3 wrote:Beautiful work on the scales, Eli, and thanks for the tips about heating the wood; I had never heard of that.
Thanks! To be honest, I can't remember if I read about it just invented it. Either way, I've been playing with samples for quite a while, and the Mule, a "test knife," seemed like the perfect canvas to try it out on a real knife.
PMBohol wrote:@Golden Spydie,

Those mahogany scales look fantastic. That's a fine looking mule.
Thanks!
PayneTrain wrote:Wow I really like the effect from the torch. I'll have to try that some day. Well done, sir!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bolts, I don't think the grind marks are hurting much. I wouldn't want to risk marring the handles in the process, but that's just because I'm new to this and don't quite have the touch yet. What are they made out of? Is it easy to finish and polish?
Thank you.

The bolts are not quite flush with the wood. (I use an el cheapo belt sander, and the belts are a little loose, which I generally like. But they dug into the wood before grinding the metal all the way flush.) Thus, it would be fairly easy to polish them a little with the Dremel, as I mentioned above.

The bolts are made out of steel. :o That's about all that I know, except that it was very hard to grind. (It seemed like hardened blade steel.) So my guess is that they are hardened stainless steel, so fairly difficult to grind/polish. They aren't bothering me too much now, so I may just wait and decide later.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

opusxpn wrote:ordered some G10 scales for my mules from HT anyone familiar with these scales
I have over a dozen sets of scales from HT for my Mules and Swick3. They are quite well made. Some Mules have slightly-differing size holes, and/or a bit of uneven finish from cutting the holes, so on a few of mine I had to rub the inside with sandpaper for a bit to get the hardware to fit through. I keep intending to make some of my own scales for my Mules, but until I do I'm quite happy with the Halpern ones.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I sanded the bolts with 220 on the Dremel and then buffed them with the white compound. Now they're nice and shiny, although not perfectly polished.

opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Those are nice scales Golden great job, I wish I was talented with that but I am not. Thanks Rodloos for the tips on the scales lets see how mine come in and what modifications I got to do.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
opusxpn

Re: MT19P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring PSF27

Post by opusxpn »

Well I can't make scales yet but I can buy them here are my mules with new scales from HT no problem installing them, very easy nice fit.
Attachments
MT19.jpg
djjinksy

Re: MT19P Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring PSF27

Post by djjinksy »

MT19 is my first mule, and I'm ever so excited. I received it last week and carefully opened the box. It was as sharper than expected, so my first instinct was to stand there and shave my chest (hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time lol). I didn't have handle scales, so I temporarily para-wrapped it.
para-wrap
para-wrap
Next up, some destruction! I recently replaced the soft top on my Jeep, so I had the stock top and the box the new one came in that needed to be disposed of.
top and box
top and box
I took to work, and sliced everything into 12" squares. Cardboard, sail canvas, 40mil vinyl windows, the whole nine... enough to fill 2 large trashcans. The blade held up much better than expected... no chipping, very minimal edge rolling. It by no means shaves anymore, but it would easily be considered "sharp" by any non-knife person. It'll still do a rather jagged cut through a piece of printer paper. I could take it camping as-is right now, and it would perform more than adequately.
done
done
Today I received a pair of Halpern canvas micarta scales, and this mule has instantly become one of my favorite knives. It is incredibly comfortable in my hand, and I'm having a hard time putting it down... my family is starting to call me Jason Voorhees because I'm just wandering around the house holding it lol. As soon as I can manage to put it down, I'm going to break out the Edge Pro and put a nice mirror polished edge on it. Fun times ahead!
micarta
micarta
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Nice scales and Mules, opusxpn and djjinksy!
williaty

Post by williaty »

djjinksy wrote:Today I received a pair of Halpern canvas micarta scales...
photo 4.JPG
Which option is this?
djjinksy

Post by djjinksy »

These are "option 4", the curved fit that conforms to your hand. And dang are they comfortable!
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

Another beautiful MT. Thanks!

MT19 with zebra wood scales
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

And for the life of me this steel is hard, cant get a good edge on it, its going to take me forever I just know it.