Obscure Spyderco Models Deserving Another Chance?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My hopefuls would be the Terzuolas (C15 and C19), Wegners, and/or Ocelot (with a thinner blade and no prints). How about some aluminum handled Spydies? Why aren't any of those made? Light, strong, nice looking...?
- best wishes, Jazz.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Flatiron in H1 would be outstanding and Impala in an upgraded steel for PE edge retention. The Spot in SE H1 would be brilliant as well.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Flatiron in H1 would be outstanding and Impala in an upgraded steel for PE edge retention. The Spot in SE H1 would be brilliant as well.
Hey Chapman I too would like to see the "Flat Iron" return in H-1>> I had never ever even thought of that but the more I think about it the more I like the idea.

However one huge caviat to the return of the FLAT IrON and that would be to offer it up in Spyderedge if they did indeed do an H-1 version of it.

PETER!!! I do agree that the hole in the blade on fixed blades is something I coudl also do without. I guess that's one reason I will never part with my Temperance 1 models (PE & SE) and is why it works so smoothly either in culinary or outdoor cutting jobs. But again a beefed up VAGABOND model in S90V and a linen Micarta Handle would be an excellent blade for camp or even a super tackle box knife. I always liked the concept of the VAGABOND but I never had good luck with either one of the AUS-6 blades I owned. The orignal Meerkat with 440C that was made at GOLDEN, CO USA Earth was a much superior blade than the later AUS-6 version in my most humble opinion.

How about a beefed up version the Warren Thomas Karambit>> I haven't heard even any of the Hawkbill fanatics talk about that one in a while. I would love one with a G-10 handle please!!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

Plain edge, all stainless Harpy.

Like the one sold in Japan.
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Farmer Brown wrote:Plain edge, all stainless Harpy.

Like the one sold in Japan.
Brother I too would like to see more variants of the Harpy model. It is one of the great Spyderco Hawkbills I cut my teeth on. But the Harpy really isn't an obscure model by definition even though a case could be made that Plain Edged Harpy models are extremely tough to come by. But I sure would like to see another G-10 Harpy or even a super beefed up version with a Micarta or Carbon Fiber handle and a supersteel blade.

I would also like to know more about 2 of the Spyderco models that never made it to the main line up even though they have model numbers. I'm speaking of the "Yachtsman" and "Europa" models. I have no idea what they even looked like to begin with. But I would like to know why they aborted their introduction and why they abandoned plans to bring them to market. Now those are about as "OBSCURE" as any Spyders I know of>> So any progress on them would be welcome.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I do believe the yatchsmen is actually the tusk. I could be wrong if someone could clarify that would be great.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

BadFish wrote:I do believe the yatchsmen is actually the tusk. I could be wrong if someone could clarify that would be great.
Well, Spyderco gave the Tusk the C06 model number that had, up to now, been associated with the Yachtsman, so I'd say it's what the Yachtsman evolved into after 30 years on the drawing board.

As for the C31 Europa, IIRC, it was going to have a corkscrew as well as a blade, but I don't know anything beyond that. Perhaps in the future, the Tusk frame will be made to serve double duty - with a corkscrew in place of the marlinspike.

As for me, not really "obscure", but I'd love to see the Kopa brought back, sans clip, and the original jigged bone Kiwi with the same blade shape and grind as the new Kiwi 4.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
timlara

Post by timlara »

JD Spydo wrote: I never ever understood the paw prints on the Ocelot. If they would have just been an indent on the handle rather than those fully reamed out holes I could have lived with it. But like I've said in the past I had a couple of those and if you used them they would always end up sticking because it was all but impossible to get all the animal residue out of those paw print holes>> which is why I don't own one anymore.

I always thought that Spyderco's ROOKIE model was close to being Spyderco's absolutely perfect all around pocket knife in their entire line up. The blade length, handle design and well thought out ergonomics of the folder are great and I've always been baffled as to why the ROOKIE model didn't become an all out icon Spyderco folder.
Yep...my thoughts exactly on these two as well! I never owned an Ocelot for exactly that fear, but I really did like the design in every other aspect.

And coincidentally, I too had to sell all these models in the past to make ends meet, so they aren't just "wish list" models...I already KNOW I like them for sure!
Tim
timlara

Post by timlara »

the deacon wrote: as for me, not really "obscure", but i'd love to see the kopa brought back, sans clip, and the original jigged bone kiwi with the same blade shape and grind as the new kiwi 4.
^^ yes!! ^^
Tim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bh49 wrote:If Spyderco produce G10 or peel-ply CF Adventura I will be interesting, but I would keep VG10. I stopped carrying my Adventura after it slipped from my hand.
It always baffled me as to why they restricted that great "Dialex" design model "the ADVENTURA with just a stainless handle being offered. I've always thought that a G-10 handle would have been near perfect for that model. I really enjoyed my ADVENTURA when I owned it. Because my 2 favorite Spyderco Recurve models up till now were the Spyker and the Adventura.

Now the Spyker meets all definitions of what it takes to qualify as "Obscure" and it was a very high quality piece from every standpoint. It would be hard to actually make one a lot better than the original Spyder other than new blade steel which I think would give it enough face lift to draw serious interest.

Whereas the Adventura not being as obscure as the Spyker I still believe a lot could have been done to that model to spice it up. A G-10 or Carbon Fiber handle would do wonders for that model if it were to re-appear.

Now being on the subject of recurves I will not pass up an opportunity to suggest a couple of things that could be done to revamp the KRIS model. I never felt that the KRIS really had a fair market showing in the short time it was on the main line up. The original model was ridgid even by Spyder standards but I do think a more grippy handle would do it well>> and a better blade steel like XHP would be really interesting for a recurve. The 2 Spyders I have with XHP are good performers needless to say and I believe that blade steel would really make the KRIS very attractive to the main market.
M80

Post by M80 »

Captain, Breeden Rescue, Dodo, Spyderkeys
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SCORPIUS.White FRN handle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

M80 wrote:Captain, Breeden Rescue, Dodo, Spyderkeys
I think that the popularity the C-111 Captain has attained since it's being discontinued has risen to a point to where you would not have to do much to bring back the Captain IMO>> However I do think you're on to something concerning the Breeden RESCUE model. I thought that knife really got poor marketing, poor timing and was just plain misunderstood>> along with the fact that they didn't offer it up in Spyderedge I believe really shot that model in the foot bad.

Every Rescue type knife and every Hawkbill blade should absolutely be offered in Spyderedge. Because that's just the nature of those beasts. I guarantee you that Spyderco wouldn't sell even 10% of the Rescue models that they sell if they didn't offer those models already successful in Spyderedge. I also think if the Dodo was to return in Spyderedge it would sell out in short order. I would pawn my truck to get 2 of those seriously.

The Spyderkeys>> wasn't my cup of tea>> I'm not really a fan of those micro models>> even though I think Spyderco's are surely the best in that market..
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Not sure if its been mentioned, but the Poliwog. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:Not sure if its been mentioned, but the Poliwog. :)
I'm not sure what could be done with the "Poliwog". It had such a narrow group of fans when it was in the main line up. And do keep in mind you won't talk to a bigger Eric Glesser fan that I am. His Dodo I think was truly Spyderco's best specialty type knife ever IMO. The Manix truly speaks for itself.

But for whatever reason I could never warm up to the Poliwog and it just didn't even seem like a design of Eric's at all. I'm clueless on that one.

I think that one was obscure for a reason IMO and I'm not knocking it per se but again it's fanbase was very narrow and I'm not even sure what I would use one for if one were given to me.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm not sure what could be done with the "Poliwog". It had such a narrow group of fans when it was in the main line up. And do keep in mind you won't talk to a bigger Eric Glesser fan that I am. His Dodo I think was truly Spyderco's best specialty type knife ever IMO. The Manix truly speaks for itself.

But for whatever reason I could never warm up to the Poliwog and it just didn't even seem like a design of Eric's at all. I'm clueless on that one.

I think that one was obscure for a reason IMO and I'm not knocking it per se but again it's fanbase was very narrow and I'm not even sure what I would use one for if one were given to me.
But that's just it! :)
Its obscure and its one heck of a conversation piece. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:But that's just it! :)
Its obscure and its one heck of a conversation piece. :)
Yeah you may have something there. I bet it is hard to obtain one for anyone collecting the more obscure Spyders>>> and for that reason I sort of regret trading my SPUR model that I used to have. I had even at one time thought about carrying mine at one point but the blade just wasn't long enough for my daily cutting chores.

Another extreme oddball blade was the SpyderCard>> you don't hear of that one very much anymore>> neither do you hear much about the Spydersaw; which by the way was a really good pruning saw for those of you needing something along those lines.

Spyderco has had it's share of "one of a kind", extremely unusual and very specialized blades>> one being the Maddox which you never hear much about at all even among collectors.

But still I'm not sure what could be done to spice up the Poliwog model??? It was sort of like the SPOT model you either really loved it or you just absolutely didn't like it at all. I was in the latter group. I guess you could make one all titanium with a supersteel blade> other than that I have no idea what could be done to revive it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice post JD. Your right, not much could be done to the Poliwog.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'd like to see Sal re-introduce the Solo knives, specifically the SO-01. It would be lovely in ZDP-189 with burgundy micarta scales like the baby Goddard...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Tim Zowada please! Spyderco doesn't make many straight shaped tacticool knives.