Obscure Spyderco Models Deserving Another Chance?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Obscure Spyderco Models Deserving Another Chance?

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been doing a lot of thinking in reverse here lately. My idea of taking H-1 models into premium mainline Spyders didn't fly so well as I expected but I've been pondering another idea that I do think many of you will latch on to. Spyderco over the years has had a lot of super sucessful models like the Police, Caly Jr., Military, Paramilitary ect that need little or no improvement because they are already winners. And GOD Bless them for the premium models that have hit home runs on the sales charts.

But I got to thinking the other day about some of the older and more obscure models that just really didn't get off the ground for whatever reason. I was wondering if some of them were justly represented to begin with? I was also wondering if they even had a chance because of the way they were marketed and presented. OK take the older fixed blade "VAGABOND" model for instance>> I think it was shot in the foot from day #1 because it just wasn't dressed up right. Personally I would have never bought a fixed blade with AUS-6 blade steel. However if you were to take that same model and let's say put a better handle material along with something like CPM110V blade steel I think it would be a completely different knife all together. Because I always liked the design of the VAGABOND I just didn't like the steel they used in it.

There are other models I think didn't get fair chance out of the gate>> one being "Dialex's" great ADVENTURA model>> rather than a stainless handle I bet if they used a G-10 handle or a carbon fiber handle along with a D-2 or M-4 blade I do believe that model would sell very well.

Another older model I thought that never got a fair chance at the market was the SPUR model. It also had a stainless handle and an older blade steel that wasn't all that popular. I bet if they did that model with a Micarta handle and VG-10 blade you couldn't keep it on the shelf. One more model I would like to add to that list would be the IMPALA model>> to me I was baffled as to why one of Spyderco's only hunter/folders didn't get off the ground in the knife market. I bet of you would give it a blade with S90V and a CF or Micarta handle it would be a box office success as well.

What older, obscure models do you think deserve a second chance with completely different blade and handle materials? Give us the model name and number and let's talk about these older, obscure models that never made the headlines and talk about what would make them more appealing. I don't care if they are fixed blades, folders or specialty type knives. Which failed models do you think would do well with completely changed materials?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

....and for those of us who dont know!! How about a pic!! I would like to learn more!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jmh58 wrote:....and for those of us who dont know!! How about a pic!! I would like to learn more!! John
At this time I don't have any way of putting up any pictures but they are available at TED's List on Spyderwiki. I'm hoping that those who chime in will show us pics of these older models that they would like to see get another chance with a face lift and new materials.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I love threads like this one! :D

But how "obscure" do you want to go? :confused:

Are we talkin "Pegasus obscure?"

Or "Flat Iron obscure?" ....just bein silly :p

Seriously:

I'd say a Poliwog revisit would be a smash hit especially with FFG...have you seen what an original 'Wog goes for on the secondary market? :eek:

The C38 Jess Horn LW is a big favorite of mine...would love to see it updated in FFG also, maybe a bit larger, but not too much...the 38 is my goto pointy knife...

I hope those were "obscure" enough :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

paladin wrote:I love threads like this one! :D

But how "obscure" do you want to go? :confused:

Are we talkin "Pegasus obscure?"

Or "Flat Iron obscure?" ....just bein silly :p

Seriously:

I'd say a Poliwog revisit would be a smash hit especially with FFG...have you seen what an original 'Wog goes for on the secondary market? :
No I don't think you're being silly at all>> I actually looked at the Pegasus when I considered what to put on my opening statement. I've also considered the SPYKER, KRIS and SPIN models as well. Hey if it wasn't a hit at the box office originally but it once was in the Spyderco main line up it's up for consideration on this thread to be sure. I would even consider some of the older Solo, G-Sakai and Moki models within reason of course. But if it's an obscure Spyderco model you like for whatever reason let's talk about it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jmh58 wrote:....and for those of us who dont know!! How about a pic!! I would like to learn more!! John
How about both a picture and the specs of the original. For me, the biggest issue with the Vagabond was the 4mm thick blade. Why such a thick blade on a knife intended as a "traveling kitchen knife".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

C87 Scorpius is a model that I always felt would benefit from changing the SS handles to G-10 just like the Poliwog and Lava.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

THANK YOU Paul... John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I spot one big advantage of the Vagabond: as fixed from Spyderco it has no hole in the blade.

This brings me to starting question from JD: from my point of view all fixed models from Spyderco with useless hole in the blade are obscure models and less appealing. A black dot on the blade would be also a sign for trademark ... IMO.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Agreed about the Impala. I have one with GH...its a great piece.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are some that I think would be popular if brought back. Personally, I think the T-Mag, Vesuvius, Leafstorm, and Renegade/Blackhawk are under appreciated, but I doubt that they would sell well if they were brought back.

first picture, left to right:

Poliwog
Spur
Pro-Venator
Caly Jr.
C19 BT Jr.
C15 BT

second picture:

C25 Centofante G10
C25 Centofante Aluminum
C50 Centofante 2 G10

third picture:

Titanium mini-police necklace

fourth picture:

Dodo CF

bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote: There are other models I think didn't get fair chance out of the gate>> one being "Dialex's" great ADVENTURA model>> rather than a stainless handle I bet if they used a G-10 handle or a carbon fiber handle along with a D-2 or M-4 blade I do believe that model would sell very well.
If Spyderco produce G10 or peel-ply CF Adventura I will be interesting, but I would keep VG10. I stopped carrying my Adventura after it slipped from my hand.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

A gut hook impala is my grail jd!! All the ones I've come across we're outta my ball park but one day I hope I can get one. There is a spin sprint out right now so they do revisit some.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
simyo

Post by simyo »

The C16 is one of my favorite spydies, so I'm glad it gets picked up for sprint runs occasionally. I would love to see an updated C48 wegner, i doubt it would happen due to bladetech and all, but I would like to have it without the steel backspacer and just some stand offs in its place. To truly make it a one of a kind awesome knife i'd love for it to have the compression lock instead of liner thats just since were dreaming and all. The flatiron would be my second choice it looks awesome and i'd love to try it out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just want a ZDP or Superblue Centofante 4 sprint. Any color.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

Nice pics, GoldenSpydie! Those Centofantes are sweeeeeeeeeet.

I keep waiting for another sprint on the Dodo since I missed the last couple. (S110v? Pleeease?)

Two others I'd like to see come back with a refresh are the Ocelot (though I could do without the paw prints) and the Rookie. ZDP would be awesome, but I'd buy either of those in VG-10, too.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=199

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=361
Tim
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Aqua salt in superblue.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Cheddarnut wrote:Aqua salt in superblue.
joking, right?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
JD Spydo

C-50: A Super Classic much overlooked and passed over.

Post by JD Spydo »

timlara wrote:Nice pics, GoldenSpydie! Those Centofantes are sweeeeeeeeeet.

I keep waiting for another sprint on the Dodo since I missed the last couple. (S110v? Pleeease?)

Two others I'd like to see come back with a refresh are the Ocelot (though I could do without the paw prints) and the Rookie. ZDP would be awesome, but I'd buy either of those in VG-10, too.
I must say "timlara" you've really read my mind and have hit the nail on the head talking about the C-50 Centofante. I have always had a very special love for the C-50 and would love to have both the PE & SE versions of that blade. When I had my financial trainwreck a few years back that was one model a guy offered me a big wad of cash for and I elected to sell in hopes I would get one back someday. I've yet to find a replacement ( new or used) but I would much rather see the C-50 Centofante come back with either S90V or one of the Carpenter steels.

The Dodo!! You bet!! I would love to see one with one of the supersteels like S90V or something else that high up the food chain. I also long for another Spyderedged Dodo. I've also tried to find another one of them too and those are getting really tough to find.

I never ever understood the paw prints on the Ocelot. If they would have just been an indent on the handle rather than those fully reamed out holes I could have lived with it. But like I've said in the past I had a couple of those and if you used them they would always end up sticking because it was all but impossible to get all the animal residue out of those paw print holes>> which is why I don't own one anymore.

I always thought that Spyderco's ROOKIE model was close to being Spyderco's absolutely perfect all around pocket knife in their entire line up. The blade length, handle design and well thought out ergonomics of the folder are great and I've always been baffled as to why the ROOKIE model didn't become an all out icon Spyderco folder.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Flat iron in H1 with yellow or orange FRN.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”