My personal grail knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
macatac

My personal grail knife

Post by macatac »

Long before I got Spydie bit, I have been watching Ray Johnson forge knives. I have been visiting Silver Dollar City, outside of Branson, MO, for about 18 years. Every year, I have gone and just watched Ray work. A few times, I spoke with him for quite a while. Just a great guy. But, I had never bought a knife. This year, after talking with the wife, I had decided this was the year. I was going to get one of Ray's knives. As I was standing in front of the case, trying to decide which knife I would take home, another customer said to the lady behind the counter how sorry he was to hear about Ray. I had not heard, but Ray died 5 days before I arrived in SDC. The people working there were still in shock.

Anyway, now I knew I could not leave without one. For 18 years, I had dreamed about, drooled over the knives, and watched Ray work his magic. His knives are functional, not fancy, and every bit hand made. (Although his damascus is truly stunning for those of you who have not seen his work.) It will not be a showpiece, as I believe Ray forged knives to be used.

Thanks for letting me tell my story. I think Ray was one of the reasons I have gotten into knife collecting, testing, and yes, I have even put handles on a few mules. I hope to eventually work up to stock removal of my own, or maybe even forging. You just never know. Anyway, I know this is worthless without pics, so here it is. Forgive the cell phone camera quality. Handle is Cocobolo, brass guard, and steel is mil-spec armor plate. I can't remember the exact steel, but I really don't care on this one.

macatac
Attachments
Ray Johnson Knife.jpg
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That grail has alot of heart-felt meaning to you. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

Great looking knife! Thanks for sharing your story, sounds like you will be holding onto that knife for a long time
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
macatac

Post by macatac »

I know this is not about a Spydie, but I knew this group would understand.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Enjoy that grail.
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Congrats on getting your knife. His Spirit will live on in the use of his knives.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Every tool seems more special when you know the person who made it, used it before you, or gifted it to you. I'm sorry to hear about Ray, but I'm glad you've got a memento to remember him and his craft.

TedP