Dice or domino?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kylems11

Dice or domino?

Post by Kylems11 »

I do not own either of them but want to buy one of them. What one do you like better? With the dice being a flipper thats alot smaller, does that effect the way it flips? Which one flips better in your opinion? Anyone find either of them to be smaller or larger then they thought?
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I only have the Domino, but I really,really like it.
Can certainly recommend it!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Domino is the only one available with a blue weave scale (Cheaper than the standard version at KC too) ;) I personally prefer a knife the size of the Domino to something as small as the Dice, with exceptions such as the Dragonfly, Lava, and Techno, but I typically watch pocket carry those along with a larger knife like a PM2, Manix 2, Schempp Tuff, etc. If I want something in between I'll grab something from the Delica to Domino size spectrum. The Domino is actually very close in size and ergonomics to the Manix 2, but very slightly smaller. If you like your Manix 2 LW you'll probably like the Domino. I'll include a size comparison photo between the two, but the camera was pointing down at about a 45 degree angle and it makes the Domino look a little larger than the Manix 2 because it's closer, so keep that in mind. Bottom line, I love my Domino.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

3rdGenRigger wrote:The Domino is the only one available with a blue weave scale (Cheaper than the standard version at KC too) ;) I personally prefer a knife the size of the Domino to something as small as the Dice, with exceptions such as the Dragonfly, Lava, and Techno, but I typically watch pocket carry those along with a larger knife like a PM2, Manix 2, Schempp Tuff, etc. If I want something in between I'll grab something from the Delica to Domino size spectrum. The Domino is actually very close in size and ergonomics to the Manix 2, but very slightly smaller. If you like your Manix 2 LW you'll probably like the Domino. I'll include a size comparison photo between the two, but the camera was pointing down at about a 45 degree angle and it makes the Domino look a little larger than the Manix 2 because it's closer, so keep that in mind. Bottom line, I love my Domino.

Thanks for the pics. I ended up buying a domino. It may be a tad bit bigger then i would like, but i think the dice would be too small for me, and i wasnt really liking the fat belly on such a short blade.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dice,Dice....baby.........
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

MachSchnell wrote:The dice is an excellent edc blade... Especially in places whee there are blade length restrictions!
But if there aren't...longer blade wins in my mind seeing as how they're so close in price. Especially given that they're both about as wide and will impede your hand by about the same amount when reaching for anything lower in your pocket than the knife. If there are blade length restrictions where the OP lives, there would have been no motivation to create this thread in the first place.

---> Branden
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

3rdGenRigger wrote:But if there aren't...longer blade wins in my mind seeing as how they're so close in price. Especially given that they're both about as wide and will impede your hand by about the same amount when reaching for anything lower in your pocket than the knife. If there are blade length restrictions where the OP lives, there would have been no motivation to create this thread in the first place.
Excellent point. I would even prefer a longer Domino flipper. I may consider the Dice if it comes in a nicer CF laminate (like the Domino Blue Lightening - hopefully Blue Ridge Knives will commission this exclusive) as I'm not very impressed with the patterned black CF laminate of the original Domino. Cosby "sweateresque" ........as I've heard someone else refer to that pattern.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like the cubic check carbon fiber pattern quite a lot, but I prefer it on both sides of a knife (Like on my Sage 3)...not sure why but it doesn't seem right on only half the knife to me. I wouldn't want the blue weave on both sides of a knife, but I can be a little strange when it comes to my taste in these things lol.

---> Branden