New Rock Lobster! :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

New Rock Lobster! :)

Post by MacLaren »

She came in at 9:10 a.m. this morning fellas. Would have had a thread up earlier but, had a ton a work to get done with today. Well, all's I can say is....daaaaang! I LOVE this knife. Just like I thought I would. I love the looks of it, the feel of it and the blade itself. I really,really like the blade. I love the shape of it. It certainly looks longer than it is. imo anyways. At any rate, Ill never understand why this knife didn't make it. I would love to find another new just to put up, I like it that well. Now on to the pics....
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Very nice!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Congrats and nice pics there MacLaren! Man, you guys are really bumping up the bar here on the forum for pics these days with all the flower petals, antique woods, seashells and such! ;) . Do you plan on making that a user or just a fondler? Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Congrats!! I am also quite enamored with this knife. I think the thing that kept this knife from being wildly popular is the handle. I don't get it. What's the deal with the awkwardly sized "choil"? The mods I have seen on this forum where they remove the hump makes the knife look great and I'm sure make it much more ergonomic. I would like to see Jens Anso on the designer insight series Spyderco is doing explaining his various collaborations. I love the knife either way and have been seriously contemplating attempting the handle mod.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Congrats and nice pics there MacLaren! Man, you guys are really bumping up the bar here on the forum for pics these days with all the flower petals, antique woods, seashells and such! ;) . Do you plan on making that a user or just a fondler? Cheers, Radioactive :)
Thank you! Yes, I can't help but using this knife :)
I'd really like to get another to put up though.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Enkidude wrote:Congrats!! I am also quite enamored with this knife. I think the thing that kept this knife from being wildly popular is the handle. I don't get it. What's the deal with the awkwardly sized "choil"? The mods I have seen on this forum where they remove the hump makes the knife look great and I'm sure make it much more ergonomic. I would like to see Jens Anso on the designer insight series Spyderco is doing explaining his various collaborations. I love the knife either way and have been seriously contemplating attempting the handle mod.
Thank you sir. I too would like to hear Anso talk about his designs. This also- feels like a knife that would take very well to mods. Of course the mod David did, but also new scales and what not.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think 2 things held it back....1) price, and 2) VG10. Not that VG10 is a bad steel, but combined with the price, it was a hard pill to swallow. This is a knife I would LOVE to see in solid Superblue...that would be a sprint I'd shell out some cash for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great catch!

I just wish it was a smidgen shorter. I love the concept :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:Great catch!

I just wish it was a smidgen shorter. I love the concept :)
Get one and I can fix that for ya, both in the handle and in the blade. Only issue in the handle might be the lanyard hole.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Get one and I can fix that for ya, both in the handle and in the blade. Only issue in the handle might be the lanyard hole.
I've seen yours (I think it was). Really cool mod :D . Just a bit late for that; supply getting beat up by demand :(
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:I think 2 things held it back....1) price, and 2) VG10. Not that VG10 is a bad steel, but combined with the price, it was a hard pill to swallow. This is a knife I would LOVE to see in solid Superblue...that would be a sprint I'd shell out some cash for.
Your prolly spot on. What did she go for anyways?

And yes, Seki City and all, Super Blue would be amazing....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Blerv and Goldenspydie!
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Yes, please!
Evil D wrote:I think 2 things held it back....1) price, and 2) VG10. Not that VG10 is a bad steel, but combined with the price, it was a hard pill to swallow. This is a knife I would LOVE to see in solid Superblue...that would be a sprint I'd shell out some cash for.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice knife. Enjoy it. 2 things held me back: price and stupid (sorry, just my opinion) liner lock.
- best wishes, Jazz.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Jazz wrote:Nice knife. Enjoy it. 2 things held me back: price and stupid (sorry, just my opinion) liner lock.
Thanx man, and no worries I, can certainly understand.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I didn't know about it while it was in production. The current price keeps me away. I'd take it in VG10 and < $120 any day over most of Spyderco's models.

The liner lock doesn't thrill me but I've noticed it enables a lot of interesting designs.
All God's critters have knives.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I believe one fella sold his for $300
I got mine for $175. There was second and thirds asked if it fell thru.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only real complaint with this knife is that it's not very flickable but that's nitpicking. It's thin, had lots of edge, and a pretty good blade to handle ratio.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:My only real complaint with this knife is that it's not very flickable but that's nitpicking. It's thin, had lots of edge, and a pretty good blade to handle ratio.
Lol.. That's about exactly the same conclusion I came to. Just wished she was more "flickable"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It was actually this knife that originally opened my eyes to the Southard, because they have similar shapes when modded like mine is. You can't flick it very easily but I love how the blade closes so deep into the handle, it's a fresh change from the typical thumb ramp sticking out. Come to think of it, make this in a Ti frame lock flipper with Super blue. Yeah...think on that for a bit.
~David