Insanity or just average hardcore spyderco fan?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydie fanatic

Insanity or just average hardcore spyderco fan?

Post by spydie fanatic »

We all wish we were collector club members, but obviously that isn't plausible.

If you're like me and the average forum knut, you most likely have a "holy grail" you will obtain to keep your sanity and make your bank account hate you (or also wife/gf, etc) I'm single, so no one can hate me for it :cool:

With me, its the Paramilitary 2 CF S90V. I have one in my EDC rotation and just received one today for my collection. I don't normally collect, but this one I plan on keeping NIB for myself; it was one of the first 5 produced and I bought it due to the low collector #. What makes it worth more to me, is I am the 2nd owner of the knife, as I was able to confirm the identity of the collector via google from bladeforum posts, etc His user ID on BF included the first name and first letter of last name on the package delivered to me.

Now comes the cazy stuff...I paid $721 to buy it!! I am debt free and can afford it at the moment, so I don't feel bad about spending the money...its just the secondary market is insane on ebay. Number 048 went for $710 the week before I bought mine and the average s90v or 154/s90v PM2 is 600ish.

I bought a manix 2 XL CF S90V for $250 2 weeks ago, so I feel like that was an awesome price when they sold for $220 at the dealer.

Anyways, how much would you spend on your "holy grail"? Would you sell your soul? lol :eek: :spyder: :D :rolleyes: :p
"To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex :)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Hmm... A truely Holy Grail... Probably between 300-400 tops at the moment.
Bought a Damascus Endura sprint (blue one) a week or two ago and I can still feel the dent in my account :p
But it was well worth it :D

Now it's back on the hunt for a Mini Mariner...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've never paid that much for a Spyderco, and now that I'm retired and living on a fixed income I'm a bit more circumspect with my purchases than I once was, but I've paid a bit over $400, which amounts to MSRP X 8, for at least one Q. I have no idea what MSRP on the S90V CF PM2 was, but doubt you paid more than three times that for it.

Life is short, money is just a tool, and as long as you're not depriving those you love of things they need to purchase toys, there's no harm in occasionally paying a price that others may shake their heads at to acquire something that gives you pleasure.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Deacon, do you have any idea what a mini mariner will set me back for?
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ouch. Some guy just sold two BNIB CF PM2 S90V's on blade forums a couple days ago $400 each.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Way more than I would pay but it's hard to put a price on happiness. I've spent more on stupider things than knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kaysa

Post by kaysa »

In Malaysia, they pay US$1.00 per hour, the minimum wages for working in a fast food chain as a cashier,
that make the knife worth 721 working hours in a fast food chain,
which if USA pay $7 averagely working in a fast food chain,
that price in our perspective will be costing $4900-ish...

Although I do not work in a fast food chain now, I would hesitate in such a purchase,
unless that money spent buying that knife is earned from the profits I trade knives.
M80

Post by M80 »

That's nuts there's allot of really nice customs you could get for that kind of money anyways the most I would pay is $1000 my grail is a lefty tuffknives tanic :D
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. Since I dont have a "grail" knife.. I will stick to my $150.00 max... Just dont see me paying any more.. And I want a Southard!! LOL!! But.... John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

jmh58 wrote:Well.. Since I dont have a "grail" knife.. I will stick to my $150.00 max... Just dont see me paying any more.. And I want a Southard!! LOL!! But.... John
There's a slightly used black one on BF right now for $200. Not mine! Just sayin...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JD Spydo

,The Right Spyder: I'll pay for it

Post by JD Spydo »

jmh58 wrote:Well.. Since I dont have a "grail" knife.. I will stick to my $150.00 max... Just dont see me paying any more.. And I want a Southard!! LOL!! But.... John
You're a whole lot more disciplined that I am Brother>> Because I have in the past and I will in the future pay dearly for something I really, really want with Spyderco's name on it. But keep in mind I also collect Spyderco's older sharpening equipment and any Spyderco memorabilia as well.

If I could ever nail down a blue handled prototype C-44 Dyad they could probably get me to pay $400+ for that blade. I've only ever seen one and that is in a photo of a guy who used to be on this forum years ago. Or if I could ever find one of those full Spyderedged Goddard models I would probably deplete my wallet over that one too. I've heard that there are only about 30 of those in existence. It was a really beautiful Spyderedged blade.

If I deem it to be a good long term investment I would do it for sure>> however I'm not immune to having egg on my face.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

For the right knife I would certainly fork out some cash. A grail knife that is.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Man to me that's a lot of money, but if you can afford it I say go for it. There are many Spyderco knives that I would like to own, but as prices increase I just find myself priced out of the market. Really these days $250 is my max and the knife has to appear to be worth it. I haven't really purchased any new models lately except my Wife bought me a Fluted TI Military. It was under my $250 limit as well. These days I trade some of my older Spydercos that I don't use, or just absolutely wasn't in love with for newer stuff. I figure if someone else can get some enjoyment out of the older knives, then it's a good thing. It also allows me to try newer models without being out any money other than the initial investment.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm pretty crazy on how little I would spend.

The most I got myself to pay for a S90V Para was $275.

I usually tell myself that there will always be another sprint that I can get my hands on.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
spydie fanatic

Post by spydie fanatic »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Ouch. Some guy just sold two BNIB CF PM2 S90V's on blade forums a couple days ago $400 each.

Really? Dang, that's decent of him. Put him on the "people with a soul" list for being honorable and selling them for not much more than he paid; I think most people intentionally buy some of the sprints/dealer exclusives just to flip for a profit. The only one I've seen go for that amount recently was a used one from Canada. Either that guy is a good guy or he needed FAST cash/quick sale.

With all of this craziness in price gouging, I had a brief thought of buying 2 of the CF S90V yojimbos to flip, but I've never done that before in my life and I don't want to start the path to greediness. I couldn't live with myself if I did something like that...
"To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex :)
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I've gone from collector/user to just user, so high-dollar knife purchases are not much of a thing these days. There are too many models that suit my needs in a more affordable price range, as user knives. If I were collecting, then that would be another story.

And, like Donut said, there is always another sprint. It's not like the sprint runs get any less attractive each year.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Way more than I would pay but it's hard to put a price on happiness.
+1
I am usually very frugal with any of spendings related to my personal need, but I remember how happy I was, when I paid $200 for my black Tanto Lum in 2007. It took me few years to buy another $200. Anyway my most expensive knife is Ti Fluted Military, I paid regular price of $270. My last grail knife - 2013 Forum Native5 cost me $150. Currently no grails. I will pay for CF S110V Native5, whatever the dealer will ask, but I will not pay over it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Money is very relative. $400 might represent a week's wages to one, and 15 minutes of income to another. Everyone's definiton of a grail is different, and so is everyone's definition of crazy. Just enjoy yourself responsibly!
:bug-red-white
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Everyone is different, but personally I hate the idea of buying a knife that I'm not going to use and if I pay too much for a knife then i might not enjoy using it. EvilD said something I related to recently about this. Can't find the quote, but something about how the more expensive the knife, the more sure he has to be the he will actually get a lot of use out of it before buying it. Whatever...it sounded better the way he said it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just paid $240 for a southfork. I have never paid that much money for a knife before but I am going to use it on my kayak, at the fish cleaning table and in the kitchen, so I am relatively certain it will see a ton of use. I just hope I like it.

As far as the $721 for a s90v pm2. If you are a collector and that brings you joy and you can afford it then go for it. People spend a lot more on other hobbies. Lord, imagine if you were into golf! ;)
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

That is way more than I'd spend on any blade. But YMMV.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience