Spy-DK review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Spy-DK review

Post by araneae »

My Spy-DK arrived tonight and I thought I would share my impressions. FRN construction is familiar if you have had any of the past :spyder: slippies. The backspring is highly polished and runs the full length of the spine. All parts fit well and it looks typically Spyderco. The blade is nearly impossible to open one handed. I am pleased that the backspring is strong and snappy like a slip joint should be. I have a couple UKPKs that never get carried due to their weak springs. This blade snaps close like a slippie should. Ergos are again familiar and size wise its about the same as a Chaparral. Decent size for doing most basic knife work and probably just big enough for apple slicing. The tip is very acute, suitable for splinter picking. The blade is razor sharp, well ground and the jimping is where it should be, helping to secure the knife in your hand.

Only one complaint and unfortunately its a deal breaker- blade has what I would call significant play when open- I measure nearly 2mm in each direction at the tip. This one is going to have to go back. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has wobble in theirs. Pivot adjustment has zero effect on the wobble, I'm not sure if the screw is stripped or if the post is just spinning. Overall its a nice design, hopefully I just got a fluke.

So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How are the ergos? The handle shape is similar to the Chaparral. Is it as thin?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Mine has no wobble. The blade is slightly off-center when closed but certainly not enough to fuss about. Otherwise the knife is excellent and I agree that the spring pressure is robust. And, yes, it does cut apples well. It passes my other tests of sharpening a pencil adequately (a slight modification of edge geometry-sharpening- would improve that from adequate to excellent) and it clips articles from the newspaper very well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am glad to hear it cuts apples well. It is surprising how many knives will not do this simple thing well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

This knife has become one of my favorites. Great ergos, slices nicely and costs less than $50.00. Makes a great second EDC for those of us who always carry at least two.
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

Backspring with some OOMPH, I like that! Had no idea it was near the size of a D-Fly, wow. Small, pointy, usuable blade.
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
araneae

Post by araneae »

My replacement came yesterday. Much better pivot with just a slight bit of movement. Now I get to start using it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mine's fine. I really had to thin the edge out a lot, though. Same with all the Italian Spydies. Great knives, but they seem to like useless, shallow edges. :confused:
- best wishes, Jazz.