Collector's Club ?????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ronfaircloth

Collector's Club ?????

Post by ronfaircloth »

I'm interested in the Spyderco Collector's Club. Can anyone share how it works. I collect five different models. Thanks, Ron :spyder:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Here's some info on the Collector's Club from the website of our good friend, Paul (a.k.a. The Deacon):

http://www.paulberetta.com/spy101_numbered_knives.htm
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

I got this about a year ago from Tamara at Spyderco HQ:

Revised 11/16/2009
Spyderco Collector Program
Definitions:
Main Piece:

A new model number: C101, C102, etc.

A design sequence number: Manix2, Delica4, etc.

Will be a PlainEdge (unless it is only being produced with an edge configuration other than PlainEdge
Variation:

A different color handle, materials (handle and blade), edge configurations, trainers, etc
Sprint:

Anything produced by Spyderco in a limited production quantity, announced ahead of time as a Sprint Run and in what quantity it will be produced
Set:

Anything planned and produced by Spyderco in a limited production quantity AND more than one in the series: Mule Team, Kopa, etc
Collector Enrollment Levels:
Bronze Collector:

Receives Main Pieces Only

Does NOT receive Sprints or Variations

Does NOT receive Sets unless added on (see below)
Silver Collector:

Receives Main Pieces

Receives Sprints

Does NOT receive all variations

Does NOT receive Sets unless added on (see below)
Gold Collector:

Receives Main Pieces

Receives Sprints

Receives Variations

Does not receive Sets unless added on (see below)
Optional Add ons:
Sets:

Sets like Mule Teams, Kopas, etc. will be offered separately for the collector to take all of the set.

This will be offered at the time the collector signs up based on any sets in progress or will be offered as Spyderco introduces a new set. We currently do not have any Kopas running.
Engraving:

Main pieces will be engraved as a 3 digit number (000, 001, 002, etc)

Variations will be engraved as a 3 digit number followed by a V (001V, 002V, 003V).

Sprints and Sets may be Main or Variation depending on the knife itself and each knife will be engraved appropriately depending on its characteristics.
Certificate of Ownership:

Each knife will come with a Certificate of Ownership to include the Collector’s name, the Knife Name and SKU # and the Release Month and Year.
Revised 11/16/2009
Spyderco Collector Program Contract
All pieces will be engraved with collector’s number, variations will be engraved with the number followed by a V. For any numbers that are not assigned a collector, these knives will not be numbered. When a number is assigned to a new collector, we are unable to make available any previously issued models.
Numbered collectors will be shipped first (with the premier program to immediately follow)
Fixed Blades are included in the collector program, sharpeners and byrd knives are NOT included in the program.
If ever it is determined that a numbered knife is defective under Spyderco’s warranty, a new knife will be issued and engraved with a period following the number to designate the second numbering, for example, “141.” Spyderco reserves the right of ownership to any knife replaced under warranty.
A large part of the value of being a collector is having the opportunity to receive one of the first 200 production pieces. With this opportunity, the Collector is accepting the possibility that there may be minor flaws with the first production of an individual SKU.
Spyderco reserves the right to sell any collector knives through our Factory Outlet Store with prior notification to the Collector (typically this will be an option that the Collector can choose to purchase or opt out of)
There will only be one number associated with one name – Spyderco will not set up more than one collector number to one name and Spyderco will not set up numbers without an end user contract. Spyderco offers a different program (Premier Program) for dealers & distributors interested in being first to get quantity to sell.
The Collector reserves the right to choose which Dealer they purchase their collector numbered items through, providing the Dealer has met Spyderco’s requirements to purchase direct. The Collector reserves the right to change Dealers at any time by notifying Spyderco in writing.
All numbered knives will be shipped UPS ground to the Dealer, the Collector is required to make payment and delivery arrangements with the Dealer.
The Collector must sign the contract and make their enrollment level choices, Spyderco will not accept the Dealer choosing on behalf of the Collector.
All knives in the selected enrollment level must be purchased and the Collector is NOT able to individually request knives offered in a different level. Please consider the enrollment levels and financial obligations carefully.
The Collector reserves the right to change the level of enrollment at anytime. However, if the Collector drops to a lower level, there will be a six month waiting period to rejoin the higher level. All changes must be submitted to and accepted by Spyderco in writing.
All Collectors must keep their current contact information on file with Spyderco and the Dealer they are purchasing from – this is to include, name, address, phone #, and e-mail if they have one.
If at any time a collector wishes to terminate the Collector agreement, he/she MUST notify Spyderco and the dealer he/she is purchasing from in writing.
If the dealer determines that the collector is not fulfilling the delivery and payment arrangements, they reserve the right to terminate the agreement by notifying the collector and Spyderco in writing.
Freight charges will be assessed at a flat rate of $5.00 per collector number, per shipment OR using Spyderco’s current freight schedule, whichever is less expensive.
If these terms are agreeable, please reply by _________________________ with your acceptance by completing the following information and signing below:
Collector Number:
Collector Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
E-Mail:
Enrollment Level:
Bronze Silver Gold
Mule Team (Add On Set already in progress – Must be
purchased through Spyderco Factory Outlet)
Kopa (These are currently not running)
To Be Purchased Through:
Dealer/Distributor Name:
Contact Name:
Phone Number:
I agree to and understand the above terms and conditions:
____________________________________________ _______________________
Collector Signature Date
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The collector program is nice. I was in it briefly. The challenge is you have to have a LOT of disposable income. You really don't realize how many models Spyderco releases until they start showing up at your door by the box load. You also don't really have a way to plan or budget because they will go awhile without releasing a new model and then in one day ship out 6 new models and/or variations. You can't really pick and choose what models you get... you get them all.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
Jax

Post by Jax »

Gold,silver and bronze levels look to rich for my blood.
Who am I kidding?
I couldn't afford it if the levels were Tin,Zinc and silly putty :)
But it is a dream of mine to be at the silver level some day!
That says alot about Spyderco,considering my dreams usually revolve around Jessica Alba,Shakira,and other assorted hotties :)
archangel

Re: Collector's Club ?????

Post by archangel »

Each CC spydie has a unique 3 digit number engraved, and there's just one piece of that model and number, right? I'm asking because there are at all times some numbered spydies available at eBay, and I have a feeling that many of those seem to have the same number. Coincidence?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not sure what you’re talking about... CC members are free to sell their knives on eBay, often selling them in batches as they are received from Spyderco. You are definitely not seeing someone sell multiples of the exact same model (identical blade steel/handles) with the same CC number. They get some or all of every model variation, as described above.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
archangel

Post by archangel »

I just have a feeling that one number seems to show more often. Why become a member if you then sell many of them, you know what I mean? I find that weird...

Can a knife shop be a CC member? I have learned that sometimes shops sell numbered spydies (got one myself) from CC members that authorize them to.

I don't know. Guess I would expect much fewer numbered spydies on the market, it kind of defies the purpose of super exclusivity of such a club. And to see one number on the market more often than others makes it even weirder...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 pm
I just have a feeling that one number seems to show more often. Why become a member if you then sell many of them, you know what I mean? I find that weird...

Can a knife shop be a CC member? I have learned that sometimes shops sell numbered spydies (got one myself) from CC members that authorize them to.

I don't know. Guess I would expect much fewer numbered spydies on the market, it kind of defies the purpose of super exclusivity of such a club. And to see one number on the market more often than others makes it even weirder...
I hear ya. I've noticed this as well. They have to pay a pretty penny to be a member. My guess is they get them and throw them on Ebay with a markup as soon as they get it, knowing it will hit the free market weeks before anyone else has a chance to get one. Then take the gamble on someone that can't resist the wait and jump on their knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Some dealers still have one or more CC numbers and sell all the numbered knives they get. It's one way to make sure they get at least that many of any Sprint Run, and they also get Exclusives that they would not otherwise be able to get.

As for individuals, unless they're in at the lowest level (Bronze) and just getting "base models" I suspect that few, if any, can afford to hang onto each and every variant they receive. Someone who collects a specific model, or "family" may join to insure they receive one of every variant, keep those, and sell off all or most of the other models they get.

archangel wrote: Each CC spydie has a unique 3 digit number engraved, and there's just one piece of that model and number, right? I'm asking because there are at all times some numbered spydies available at eBay, and I have a feeling that many of those seem to have the same number. Coincidence?

Each club member has a unique 3 digit number. Each new model gets engraved with that number. After that, every variant of that model gets engraved with that number plus the letter V. So, for example, there can only be one example of a given model with the number 001, but there can be multiple knives of that model with the number 000V, but each will be a unique variant of that model and all will be sent to the collector whose number is 000.

When the Atlantic Salt came out, 4 versions were released at once. Spyderco decided that the black serrated version would be the "base model", making all the others "variants". So the black serrated one in the photo below bears CC# 043 while the other three are marked 043V.

The cocobolo Kopa was the first one issued, so the one in the photo below bears CC# 043, all the others are marked 043V.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Spyderco are wonderful knives but not every knife is liked by everyone. So some get sold. Collectors treat them like this even if they are part of the collectors club.