Rit Dye?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Rit Dye?

Post by gull wing »

Where are those Rit Dye tips? Did a search, can't find. I know the pack comes with instructions, but recall some had good tips on doing G10.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just wash in Dawn soap and then try to not handle it bare handed after I dry it so the oils from my skin don't get on it. You just want it as clean as possible. If you take the knife apart you can boil your scales in dye (more of a simmer than boil) and add some table salt to the dye bath. I've found that RITs instructions for doing denim work quite well for FRN and G10. Afterwards just wash and rinse several times to prevent transfer to your clothes and you're good to go.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I've had very good luck with RIT dyeing G10 scales:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -Dragonfly

Hope something in that thread helps... What are you planning on doing? Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Another thing you can use is auto wax remover or denatured alcohol. I've used both when dying auto interior panels.
~David
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

That foliage to forest green dragonfly looks amazing! Hmm, I have two g10 dragonflies and one is a user...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks, this is great. Next week!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I dyed my digicam PM2. I put the knife in a pan in my garage, heated some water on the stove, took it outside and mixed with the dye, then put it on the knife. After about an hour there was almost no color change in the dye.

I did some more reading and it seemed that most people added some vinegar and used more heat so I added some vinegar and simmered the knife outside on a camp stove for 15 minutes or so and that did the trick.

fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

Looks nice....did you remove the scales for that job and which Rit Red did you use?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

fuzzydog wrote:Looks nice....did you remove the scales for that job and which Rit Red did you use?
The digicam model is S30V so I didn't disassemble it at all, just put the whole knife in the simmer.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm going to try dyeing one of my yellow salts in a couple of weeks. Any tips for dyeing frn? Will the dye stay on the frn as well as it does g10? I am dubious.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm going to try dyeing one of my yellow salts in a couple of weeks. Any tips for dyeing frn? Will the dye stay on the frn as well as it does g10? I am dubious.
Me too, what color are you going with?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MadMaximus wrote:Me too, what color are you going with?
Going to try orange. Ordered the dye and my buddy is bringing it in 2 weeks
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Surfingringo wrote:Going to try orange. Ordered the dye and my buddy is bringing it in 2 weeks
Yep same here too. I like a good orange handle, I'll be using it on the rig with my whitewater boat. Good luck to you, I've only done G10 before, we'll see how this goes. ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

My main reason for trying orange is I have a feeling the dye won't hold up to all the saltwater and sun and I figured orange might look the least bad when it starts to fade. :)

You will probably get to do it before I do Maximus, so please post your experience.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hmmm... I am curious about trying green.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

The yellow FRN Salt is super easy to dye...much easier than G-10 in my experience.

I have several dragonfly's that I have dyed orange.....I had found a recipe on this site using a mixture of orange and red dye 2/3 orange and 1/3 red as I recall but a search would be wise. That turned out really nice.

I have just used orange as well. There are a few oranges, tangerine and sunrise as I recall....I have used both. That orange ends up a tad less "rich" than the combo as I recall.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sigh, well I ordered the liquid dye last week and my buddy is bringing it down to Costa Rica next week. Since then I have done some reading and everyone says use the powder, NOT the liquid. Oh well, I'm just going to try the liquid and if it's a disaster I will get some of the powder when I'm home in August.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Lance, I've had no issue with using the liquid dye and prefer it over the dry stuff even. It's the same stuff and all you've done is pay the company for a little extra water to resuspend the dye in. No worries, you are more than good to go! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Lance, I've had no issue with using the liquid dye and prefer it over the dry stuff even. It's the same stuff and all you've done is pay the company for a little extra water to resuspend the dye in. No worries, you are more than good to go! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Thanks for the info! I was pretty bummed when I read that about the powder. When you aren't in the u.s. it can be a hassle getting little things that you guys take for granted up there. ****, I still haven't laid eyes on the cts-204p pm2 that I bought months ago!! But it's coming in my buddies suitcase on the 27th of July!! You have to learn to deal with delayed gratification down here. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always used the liquid, but I've also only ever dyed with tan and black.
~David