ATS-34 Era Spyders: Collector's Haven

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bruceter wrote:That's a nice collection of Bob T's you have.

Bruceter
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen that many of them at one photo-op before ever. Personally I like the Terzuola models but I never was that fanatic about them like I am the Ayoob, Military, JD Smith and a few others. But that's what is great about Spyderco is that they have such a diverse selection that there is something for almost anybody.

That sure is probably one of the most coveted models out of the ATS-34 era of all of them with the possible exception of the original "R" model. What I've found interesting too about the ATS-34 era is that there are more models that were excellent users than probably any other era with maybe the exception to some degree of the ATS-55 era. Both of them sure have some powerhouse collector pieces. I'm sure you've got a lot of people drooling over those.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I have a few more Bob T originals and the original Starmates as well.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I've read many things about this steel and the introduction of ATS-55 as a lower production cost version. The former is still used in some knives and stands out for being a very clean steel that provides an excellent polished finish. The names of the knives produced in those years include some VERY nice designs as my Wegner, Bob Terzuola and R. These are good examples of charisma found in a knife... I just love Spyderco vintage models.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

The black bladed Military is ATS-34, the satin is 440V. Both are two screw clip 1996 models.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I really wish they'd do a rerun of this with grippier G10 and, say, a backlock.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote: I really wish they'd do a rerun of this with grippier G10 and, say, a backlock.
Wouldn't a back lock ruin the design? I've heard that hunters like it for the open construction and ease of cleaning out the insides.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I think at a minimum a back lock would yield a new design and would not be the C48 Wegner model any longer...

It's a great knife. I agree that it should be reissued but with the liner lock.

-Zach
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jazz wrote:I really wish they'd do a rerun of this with grippier G10 and, say, a backlock.
Unlikely, given the Tim Wegner has his own company. What might be possible would be a re-issue of the Ocelot, perhaps without the paw prints. Spyderco owns that design outright and it has a midlock.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

The Deacon wrote:Unlikely, given the Tim Wegner has his own company. What might be possible would be a re-issue of the Ocelot, perhaps without the paw prints. Spyderco owns that design outright and it has a midlock.

How do you know they own the design? That's very interesting. I know I've seen that you have photos of that design somewhere... That's some of that very unique Deacon info.

Very curious.

-Zach
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nirvanero wrote:I've read many things about this steel and the introduction of ATS-55 as a lower production cost version. The former is still used in some knives and stands out for being a very clean steel that provides an excellent polished finish. The names of the knives produced in those years include some VERY nice designs as my Wegner, Bob Terzuola and R. These are good examples of charisma found in a knife... I just love Spyderco vintage models.
Are you sure you don't have ATS-34 mixed up with ATS-55? Because as far as I know and I've talked to several dealers, Knifemakers and other enthusiasts and the consensus I get is that Spyderco was the only American Knife Company that ever even used ATS-55 and for a very short duration at that. Now I'm kind of a fan of ATS-55 myself and trust me I looked at a lot of places and asked a lot of knifemakers if they made anything with ATS-55. One knifemaker at the 2006 Blade show told me that ATS-55 was unavailable to USA Knifemakers and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. I think you meant to say ATS-34 I'm sure.

Hey you're preaching to a very devout choir here when speaking of Spyderco's older models because many of them are my all time favorites. I constantly look for Sprints Runs of older model re-issued with better blade steel. That VG-10 big C-44 Dyad to me is probably my all time #1 favorite folder ever. You have the best of both Spyder Worlds in one folder.

It's interesting to see how many of the newbies ( people that have 3 years or less on the forum) really drool over certain older models. And those Terzuola models are one of the favorites for sure.

But as far as likeing blade steels I personally like ATS-55 just a little bit better than I do ATS-34. Both hone out a very toothy and penetrating edge when using Spyderco's great ceramic sharpening stones.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Unlikely, given the Tim Wegner has his own company. What might be possible would be a re-issue of the Ocelot, perhaps without the paw prints. Spyderco owns that design outright and it has a midlock.
Deacon that OCELOT model is one blade you and I seem to really agree on as well as the JD Smith. Those paw prints I thought were really juvenile for a lack of a better description. I talked to many guys back when that model was popular and almost all of them told me that if they used the knife on game or fish it would always end up stinking something terrible. There was no way you could keep debris out of those paw prints and it was a horrible job to clean it properly. I had the same problem myself and I usually am pretty demanding in my cleaning chores but I couldn't get that OCELOT clean without spending serious some serious time on it.

If they would bring back that OCELOT with a solid G-10 or titanium handle they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. That knife is a perfect size for all kinds of outdoor jobs. Personally I liked the bigger Wegner model a little better but both are great designs. Those Wegner models were also even great with a combo edge. It's funny you don't hear the OCELOT mentioned very often but when it was a new model people were fanatic about it. What ever possessed them to do that paw print was just plain silly in my opinion. I think that OCELOT would be great as one of the H-1 Salt Series.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Donut wrote:Wouldn't a back lock ruin the design? I've heard that hunters like it for the open construction and ease of cleaning out the insides.
It has a liner lock, but a solid back spacer. Wouldn't make any difference in that respect. I don't use it because the lock bar's almost fully over to the opposite liner. I really dislike liner locks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

JD Spydo wrote:Deacon that OCELOT model is one blade you and I seem to really agree on as well as the JD Smith. Those paw prints I thought were really juvenile for a lack of a better description. I talked to many guys back when that model was popular and almost all of them told me that if they used the knife on game or fish it would always end up stinking something terrible. There was no way you could keep debris out of those paw prints and it was a horrible job to clean it properly. I had the same problem myself and I usually am pretty demanding in my cleaning chores but I couldn't get that OCELOT clean without spending serious some serious time on it.

If they would bring back that OCELOT with a solid G-10 or titanium handle they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. That knife is a perfect size for all kinds of outdoor jobs. Personally I liked the bigger Wegner model a little better but both are great designs. Those Wegner models were also even great with a combo edge. It's funny you don't hear the OCELOT mentioned very often but when it was a new model people were fanatic about it. What ever possessed them to do that paw print was just plain silly in my opinion. I think that OCELOT would be great as one of the H-1 Salt Series.
I wish the Ocelot was screwed rather than riveted. I'd love to make some beautiful rosewood scales for it...

Sigh...

TedP
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:Are you sure you don't have ATS-34 mixed up with ATS-55? Because as far as I know and I've talked to several dealers, Knifemakers and other enthusiasts and the consensus I get is that Spyderco was the only American Knife Company that ever even used ATS-55 and for a very short duration at that. Now I'm kind of a fan of ATS-55 myself and trust me I looked at a lot of places and asked a lot of knifemakers if they made anything with ATS-55. One knifemaker at the 2006 Blade show told me that ATS-55 was unavailable to USA Knifemakers and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. I think you meant to say ATS-34 I'm sure.

Hey you're preaching to a very devout choir here when speaking of Spyderco's older models because many of them are my all time favorites. I constantly look for Sprints Runs of older model re-issued with better blade steel. That VG-10 big C-44 Dyad to me is probably my all time #1 favorite folder ever. You have the best of both Spyder Worlds in one folder.

It's interesting to see how many of the newbies ( people that have 3 years or less on the forum) really drool over certain older models. And those Terzuola models are one of the favorites for sure.

But as far as likeing blade steels I personally like ATS-55 just a little bit better than I do ATS-34. Both hone out a very toothy and penetrating edge when using Spyderco's great ceramic sharpening stones.
Sal had a batch of ATS-55 made to his specification, so his company is the only one who had it. The primary difference between it and ATS-34 is the molybdenum content, there to provide red heat strength for ATS-34's original application and not necessary in a knife blade. Molybdenum is expensive stuff, so leaving most of it out would make the steel less expensive. That savings may have been offset by the expense of having a small batch of steel produced to order.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The main ATS34 knife in my collection that springs to mind is my large Wegner. Great knife, I certainly remember when ATS34 was the S90V of its time ;)

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr Blonde wrote:The main ATS34 knife in my collection that springs to mind is my large Wegner. Great knife, I certainly remember when ATS34 was the S90V of its time ;)
Oh yeah Mr. Blonde I also remember when ATS-34 was touted the supersteel of all knife blades. It was in 2 of the major knife magazines of the early to mid 90s and it was knifemaker Bob Loveless ( although he wasn't the only one) that was one of the first to make custom blades out of it. If I remember correctly they first used it in jet engines and it was a couple of American knifemakers that discovered it's great properties for cutlery use.

It was the Benchmades and Spyderco's of the knife world who brought ATS-34 into our living rooms. Also the really top notch Swiss knife company Klotzli is still using ATS-34 in many of their current models... And they are not a rip-mart knife company at all. I also remember all the stuff that Laci Szabo was selling was ATS-34 up till the late 2000-10 era. The Steel has a truly interesting history for sure.

And again for the record if there was a model of a knife that I really liked the blade design and the handle comfort it wouldn't stop me from buying it even if it had ATS-34 today.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

JD Spydo wrote:Are you sure you don't have ATS-34 mixed up with ATS-55?
It's not a secret that ATS-55 was only used by Spyderco so I think I just expressed myself too badly as I'm my own English teacher... I was talking about ATS-34 when saying "the former", being ATS-55 the later ( I hope this makes any sense).

I don't know if I'm a newbie in this forum as I registered on 2010 but was "lurking" some years before, anyway I'd say my favorite ATS-34 model is the Wegner and its incredible ergonomics. Well, maybe it's just I prefer big knives... :)
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Here they are...

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nirvanero wrote:It's not a secret that ATS-55 was only used by Spyderco so I think I just expressed myself too badly as I'm my own English teacher... I was talking about ATS-34 when saying "the former", being ATS-55 the later ( I hope this makes any sense).

I don't know if I'm a newbie in this forum as I registered on 2010 but was "lurking" some years before, anyway I'd say my favorite ATS-34 model is the Wegner and its incredible ergonomics. Well, maybe it's just I prefer big knives... :)
You know I wonder if they (Spyderco) ever did a side by side test of the 2 blade steels i.e. ATS-34 & ATS-55. I actually saw a lot of similarities of the 2 blade steels when using them. The only magazine I ever saw that did an article on ATS-55 was Tactical Knives magazine back in the late 90s. I know I have that past issue in my storage unit. I remember it was in the "STEEL BIN" section and if my memory serves me right I believe it was Butch Winter that did the article. I remember that he was positive about it and liked it when he tested it. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think there was even .15 cents worth of performance difference between the 2 blade steels.

The ATS-55 Era was truly the shortest era of Spyderco's evolution that I can remember. I do remember Sal Glesser saying that VG-10 was truly significantly better when they tested it. And VG-10 has become my "GO-TO" blade steel here in the past 2 years especially.

No "NIRVANERO" you were on the right track and I was sure you meant the other blade steel. But again I'm finding it really interesting that so many people that have joined the forum here recently that are gravitating to the older models. Many of the ones made during what I personally call "THE GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS" ( 1998 to 2003) were my favorites for the most part. Not to say that they haven't done some good stuff recently because they have. I really like the Des Horn model myself but just wish they would have used another blade steel>> but hopefully they'll offer it up in another eventually.

I'm seeing much more interest in the ATS-34 Era than I thought I would to tell you the truth. But I also appreciate many of the ATS-55 era collector pieces as well. I've actually EDCed more ATS-55 than I have the ATS-34 blades if that's any indicator. Both eras are golden to me personally.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm finding it really interesting that so many people that have joined the forum here recently that are gravitating to the older models. Many of the ones made during what I personally call "THE GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS" ( 1998 to 2003) were my favorites for the most part. Not to say that they haven't done some good stuff recently because they have. I really like the Des Horn model myself but just wish they would have used another blade steel>> but hopefully they'll offer it up in another eventually.

I'm seeing much more interest in the ATS-34 Era than I thought I would to tell you the truth. But I also appreciate many of the ATS-55 era collector pieces as well. I've actually EDCed more ATS-55 than I have the ATS-34 blades if that's any indicator. Both eras are golden to me personally.
I don't know if newbies are interested in older models just for collecting purposes, but I've talked to "knife people" who think that older models were "better" than current ones. Maybe it's just the fact that older knives have survived so many years in good shape, maybe it's related to production flaws that were less evident then than now. That would be another interesting debate.

Anyway in my limited experience ATS-34 is a nice steel, maybe not the easiest to sharpen, and so far I haven't had any problems with rust. ATS-55 was supposed to be more delicate concerning corrosion but I don't have any knife in this steel. I'd like to, but I stopped buying "vintage" moldes after I got my own grails (and prices got crazy!).