ATS-34 Era Spyders: Collector's Haven

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Absolutely. Is that Ti?

Yeesh. I know you're kidding but come on. You know it counts.

-Zach
JD Spydo

ATS-34 Police?? New One On Me

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:Does this one count?

Wow!! Yab!! Thats a new one on me :eek: I never ever knew that they did the POLICE model in ATS-34 :o And I thought I knew just about all of them :o

But in a way it doesn't surprise me because after all it was a Japanese made steel. I knew that they did a few of the Military model in ATS-34 but I never ever knew that the POLICE model was one of them. I also knew that the original "R" model was ATS-34 because I had owned 4 of them all together.

Is that the titanium handled Police model?

Brother Donut is right about 154CM being America's version of ATS-34>> it is very close to it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah I almost forgot that the clip on the C-27 was also a "ONE OF A KIND" as well. I heard that the handle scales were indeed made from real "sambar stag" antlers>> I don't know if that is fact or not but I've been told that by 2 people who are fanatics about handles like that. The C-27 and the Jess Horn with the white handle scales were probably Spyderco's very best gentlemen's knives.
What you heard is incorrect, Joe. All the C27 Jess Horns were made with jigged bone scales, not stag. So were the non-Spyderco marked ones that Moki sold directly. It's entirely possible that one or more now have sambar stag scales but, if that's true, they were added aftermarket.

I will admit to being highly prejudiced, but I'd rate the original jigged bone Kiwi as the very best gentleman's folder Spyderco has ever made. Pretty as the clip on the C27 is, it's still a clip, and thus a 20 point deduction on my "gent's knife" scale. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As small as the C27 is, I have no idea why they thought it needed a clip.

And yes, that is the titanium handled Police Model.

Maybe this weekend I can dig out all my ATS-34 Spydies for a group shot. I still like that steel, especially with Ken Coats' heat treatment.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, there was also a "Japanese Market" ATS-34 titanium Delica...

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

This is unfortunately the only ATS34 I can bring to the party, my recently acquired JD Smith.

rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Somehow in all of my ~240 or so Spydies, I don't have one in ATS34. I bought my first couple (Worker/Economy and G2 Endura) back sometime in the 1980's. I guess I didn't start seriously accumulating them until I started hanging out in this forum, around 2009 :) .

And yet the *one* Benchmade knife I own is ATS34. I remember reading the hype about the steel in a magazine back then.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

One of the issues with bringing back some of these early Spydies may be the size of the Spydie hole. I know it might seem kind of trivial, but some of these models have thumb holes that are almost too small to be useful. And this might limit their appeal and marketability. Personally, I love the profile of the Wegner ATS-34 models, but their Spydie holes are about half the size of a modern PM2. I imagine that it would be nearly impossible to enlarge the hole without performing a major re-design/re-tooling. And don't get me started about the Baby Goddard... :rolleyes:

Does anyone else share this concern? Or do I just need to put my fingers on a diet...

TedP

P.S. - here are some obligatory pictures. I can't seem to find the pictures of my Wegner anywhere, unfortunately:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PSquared wrote:This is unfortunately the only ATS34 I can bring to the party, my recently acquired JD Smith.

OH yeah!! One of my all time top 10 favorite Spyders the JD SMITH model. I've always loved that knife. It is designed to be carried everyday i.e. EDC that is. As nice of a design as that is I'm surprised that the JD SMITH didn't become a perpetual iconic model like the Police or the Harpy.

Even the serrated version of the JD Smith is one cool tool. That's a really nice collector's piece "Psquared" because the ATS-34 is the original model they were later made with VG-10. I personally would prefer the VG-10 as a user but the ATS-34 model will make an excellent collector's piece and will probably acrue good value down the road. Hold on to it for sure.
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

phillipsted wrote:One of the issues with bringing back some of these early Spydies may be the size of the Spydie hole. I know it might seem kind of trivial, but some of these models have thumb holes that are almost too small to be useful. And this might limit their appeal and marketability. Personally, I love the profile of the Wegner ATS-34 models, but their Spydie holes are about half the size of a modern PM2. I imagine that it would be nearly impossible to enlarge the hole without performing a major re-design/re-tooling. And don't get me started about the Baby Goddard... :rolleyes:

Does anyone else share this concern? Or do I just need to put my fingers on a diet...

TedP

P.S. - here are some obligatory pictures. I can't seem to find the pictures of my Wegner anywhere, unfortunately:

I agree with the Spyerhole comment. I don't have large hands or fingers by any account and you are correct about the hole size and the translated difficulty opening.

I had not thought of that problem with reissuing these orders models (though I will note that issue does not exist for me with the original C15 & C19 Terzuola models so there is notbing inhibiting a reissue of those :o )

-Zach
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

phillipsted wrote:One of the issues with bringing back some of these early Spydies may be the size of the Spydie hole. I know it might seem kind of trivial, but some of these models have thumb holes that are almost too small to be useful. And this might limit their appeal and marketability. Personally, I love the profile of the Wegner ATS-34 models, but their Spydie holes are about half the size of a modern PM2. I imagine that it would be nearly impossible to enlarge the hole without performing a major re-design/re-tooling. And don't get me started about the Baby Goddard... :rolleyes:

TedP

I know what you mean about the baby Goddard. It is the only Spyderco I own that I can't open one-handed. I think the relationship between the pivot and the hole has more to to with it than the size of the hole.

Bruceter
recoil

Post by recoil »

Great looking Ti Police Yablanowitz. That was one of my favorites from that time in Spydie history. It was introduced at a time when only custom makers used Ti and ATS34. Unfortunately it was never made in plain edge.
The original Military was another favorite of mine and was actually introduced in CPM440C and later followed by the ATS34 version.
JD, great to see some of us oldies keeping the history alive.

dave
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I used to think the same thing about the Military until Sal told me they introduced it in ATS-34 and 440V at the same time. I have one of each, although mine are the later three screw clip models.
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

[ATTACH]23673[/ATTACH]Terzuola
Attachments
Terzuola.JPG
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

How do you get these excellent quality images with 100KB pictures? What am I doing wrong??

-Zach
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:I used to think the same thing about the Military until Sal told me they introduced it in ATS-34 and 440V at the same time. I have one of each, although mine are the later three screw clip models.
Those 440V models of the C-36 Military are a lot easier to find than the ATS-34 to find. From a users standpoint I much rather have the 440V but from a collector's standpoint I do look for almost everything in the ATS-34 era to become some of the most valuable and most wanted of all the Spyders.

There was a Spyderco dealers catalog that actually showed the C-50 Centofante available in 440V but I personally never seen one or know of anyone who claims they have one. As far as I know the C-50 and C-25 both were ATS-34 models exclusively.

It's interesting when they introduced the JD Smith that they made the first runs of them in ATS-34 and considering they already had models in VG-10 at the time. And when you consider the JD Smith and C-50 both being narrow/streamlined blades I'm wondering if ATS-34 is more compatible to that blade style and design>> thinking maybe that ATS-34 is less likely to break a tip?? It's something I've wondered about for some time now.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Tubpbs wrote:How do you get these excellent quality images with 100KB pictures? What am I doing wrong??

-Zach
I host my pictures on Photobucket, so there isn't a 100Kb limit. The picture you see is actually a link, not an attachment on the forum. If you click on "Reply With Quote" on my post with the picture you'll see the link code. For that matter, if you click on the picture it will take you to Photobucket.
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

yablanowitz wrote:I host my pictures on Photobucket, so there isn't a 100Kb limit. The picture you see is actually a link, not an attachment on the forum. If you click on "Reply With Quote" on my post with the picture you'll see the link code. For that matter, if you click on the picture it will take you to Photobucket.
Do you have to have a photo bucket account for that to work?
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Photobucket attempt...

Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

That's a nice collection of Bob T's you have.

Bruceter