ATS-34 Era Spyders: Collector's Haven

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

ATS-34 Era Spyders: Collector's Haven

Post by JD Spydo »

It's interesting the different eras that Spyderco has gone through in the past 20 years. It's like product evolution took place at a highly excelerated rate like few other companies have ever accomplished. The ATS-34 era has a lot of it's blades represented in the "SPYDERCO STORY" book by Kenneth Delavigne. Many of the models of that era led to some of Spyderco's best designs ever IMO.

One aspect I've noticed about the ATS-34 era in general is that it's truly the best era for collectors. For collectors of Spyderco's great blades of the ATS-34 era probably has more of what collector's refer to as "holy grail" blades than any other era in Spyder History that I can think of.

A few of them include the two Terzuola models C-15 & C-19, The C-50 & C-25 Centofante models, The first run of the JD Smith model, The Titanium Salsa and many more. Some of these models are commanding serious prices.

Let's talk about the ATS-34 era of Spyders from the collector's standpoint as well as their progression in the Spyderco main line up till now. Which ATS-34 Spyderco blade(s) did you like the most? How do you like ATS-34 blade steel overall? OK let's chat about the Spyderco ATS-34 blades.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Well, as you know, JD, I have a real soft spot for the Terzuola line. So those are probably my favorites from this era. But let's not forget the original Walker, Jess Horn, and the Wegners - all very classy and iconic Spydies.

I've never seen the original 1996-vintage Millie, but it was also originally issued with ATS-34.

The ATS-34 steel was a real step up from 440-series, GIN-1 and AUS-8a stainless - better edge holding while remaining easy to sharpen. But ATS-34 was quickly surpassed by BG-42, VG-10 and other steels - and the bar keeps on rising to this day.

TedP
dwong

Post by dwong »

Those are great designs, love my C15 and C19, favorite would be the C-50 since I don't own it.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I love that era of Spydies, and yes, it might be one of the most collectable. The GIN-1 era is very collectable too, however, with the very early models being made from this steel.

Here are my Centofantes and Terzuolas from that period. I've got a C27 Jess Horn in the mail right now, and I think it has ATS-34 steel--can someone confirm that?

Donut

Post by Donut »

An ATS-34 Military is on my list of things to get.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

GoldenSpydie wrote:... I've got a C27 Jess Horn in the mail right now, and I think it has ATS-34 steel--can someone confirm that?
So green with envy I am about to turn into the Hulk. :mad: Congrats! ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I really want the C22 Klotzli collab. A grail for me, but I'm not sure I'd spend $400+ on it.
JD Spydo

Some Forgotten ATS-34 models

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:Well, as you know, JD, I have a real soft spot for the Terzuola line. So those are probably my favorites from this era. But let's not forget the original Walker, Jess Horn, and the Wegners - all very classy and iconic Spydies.

I've never seen the original 1996-vintage Millie, but it was also originally issued with ATS-34.

The ATS-34 steel was a real step up from 440-series, GIN-1 and AUS-8a stainless - better edge holding while remaining easy to sharpen. But ATS-34 was quickly surpassed by BG-42, VG-10 and other steels - and the bar keeps on rising to this day.

TedP
Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you that ATS-34 was a huge step up from GIN-1 and AUS-8. Few of the newbies here at Spyderville are aware that the first series of the Military model was indeed ATS-34. Oh yes the 2 Wegner models>> I'm sort of surprised we haven't seen a Sprint of either one of those models in one of the supersteels.

I still have 2 blades I EDC on occasion that are both ATS-34 and they do quite well actually. But one of the main thrusts of my thread is about the exponential value rise of the Spyderco blades out of the ATS-34 era. There are so many ATS-34 Spyderco blades that people regard as their "holy grail" and I do believe there are probably more out of that bunch and that time period than any other from what I can tell.

There are some really rare birds out of the ATS-34 series>> if you don't believe me just try to get ahold of a Titanium Salsa model or better yet try finding a Golden CO USA Earth made "Vesuvius" model>> a lot of folks don't even know those exist. I actually had and used one of the ATS-34 JD Smith models and it was a super EDC user>> I wish I had it back.

GOLDENSPYDIE: You are right the C-27 Jess Horn models were made with ATS-34. Also it was the only Spyderco folder I know of that had an opening device other than the Spyderco HOLE>> It had a trapezoidal indent instead and it's the only Spyder I know of that had that.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco did use it on some of the "high end" models of 90's. Most are wrong handed for me, so the only one I've really carried and used is a C27 Jess Horn...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

...but it has only seen light use, so I can't really comment on how ATS-34 compares to other steels.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco did use it on some of the "high end" models of 90's. Most are wrong handed for me, so the only one I've really carried and used is a C27 Jess Horn...

...but it has only seen light use, so I can't really comment on how ATS-34 compares to other steels.
I do agree that there are newer/better blade steels than ATS-34>> however I don't put it in the trash can just quite yet either. With it being a lot easier to sharpen than VG-10 or ZDP-189 or S90V I still think there is a viable place for ATS-34 blades. If there is a design that I am just nuts over then an ATS-34 blade would not stop me from getting that particular knife.

At the time ATS-34 hit the knifemaking scene through Bob Loveless and a few other premier knifemakers it was touted as a supersteel in it's early days. But those days are long gone and somewhat forgotten.

But if I were lucky enough to snag a Spyderco C-50 in PE & SE both I would be using them I can assure you. I do hope that model is done as a Sprint Run someday. I would probably do the same thing if I were to snag a C-27 Jess Horn in PE & SE. Another thing about the C-27 Jess Horn model in the serrated version>> there was not another Spyderco knife that I know of that had that particular serration pattern. That knife is a "ONE OF A KIND" in many respects and probably the most coveted and sought after knife in that group.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:I do agree that there are newer/better blade steels than ATS-34>> however I don't put it in the trash can just quite yet either. With it being a lot easier to sharpen than VG-10 or ZDP-189 or S90V I still think there is a viable place for ATS-34 blades. If there is a design that I am just nuts over then an ATS-34 blade would not stop me from getting that particular knife.

At the time ATS-34 hit the knifemaking scene through Bob Loveless and a few other premier knifemakers it was touted as a supersteel in it's early days. But those days are long gone and somewhat forgotten.

But if I were lucky enough to snag a Spyderco C-50 in PE & SE both I would be using them I can assure you. I do hope that model is done as a Sprint Run someday. I would probably do the same thing if I were to snag a C-27 Jess Horn in PE & SE. Another thing about the C-27 Jess Horn model in the serrated version>> there was not another Spyderco knife that I know of that had that particular serration pattern. That knife is a "ONE OF A KIND" in many respects and probably the most coveted and sought after knife in that group.
Very true Joe, in addition to the C27 Jess Horn being the only Spyderco branded folder to use an alternate implementation of Spyderco's patent for a one hand opener, rather than a Spyderhole, the serrated version is the only serrated Spyderco folder that doesn't use the Spyderedge serrations. The C27's also incorporated the most elegant clip of any Spyderco as well.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Very true Joe, in addition to the C27 Jess Horn being the only Spyderco branded folder to use an alternate implementation of Spyderco's patent for a one hand opener, rather than a Spyderhole, the serrated version is the only serrated Spyderco folder that doesn't use the Spyderedge serrations. The C27's also incorporated the most elegant clip of any Spyderco as well.
Yeah I almost forgot that the clip on the C-27 was also a "ONE OF A KIND" as well. I heard that the handle scales were indeed made from real "sambar stag" antlers>> I don't know if that is fact or not but I've been told that by 2 people who are fanatics about handles like that. The C-27 and the Jess Horn with the white handle scales were probably Spyderco's very best gentlemen's knives.

Many of the other Jess Horn models were made with AUS-8 or at least the ones I owned were. Some of the models from the mid to late 90s were timeless and some of Spyderco's most classic models as well. Now concerning the Titanium Salsa I believe it was made in Taiwan if I remember right and it was made with ATS-34 blade steel but also made after the other models with that steel. It was the only Salsa with ATS-34 as well.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

JD Spydo wrote:better yet try finding a Golden CO USA Earth made "Vesuvius" model>> a lot of folks don't even know those exist.
Like this? :D

JD Spydo

Vesuvius: A very elusive GOLDEN made Spyder

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Like this? :D
Yeah Brother just like those you got in the pics :D I had 2 of those myself during my 2004 to 2007 heyday of collecting Spyders of all types.

The guy that I sold both of mine to on Bladeforums really loves them so they got a very good home I'm happy to say.

But Brother you need to realize that you are in the minority>> because there isn't that many folks that even remember that model much less hardly any folks actually own them. It's about as rare as a NIB Vagabond model or even an original R model.

Great looking old Spyder my friend :)
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I vote that we add excessive pictures of ATS-34 models in addition to the in-depth discussion.

Anyone else agree?

-Zach
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tubpbs wrote:I vote that we add excessive pictures of ATS-34 models in addition to the in-depth discussion.

Anyone else agree?

-Zach
Sure!! Pictures are more than welcome here. But be advised that there is not a huge percentage of collectors here on this forum that have collectible Spyders that go back that far. There are so many newbies here at Spyderville that don't have anything past 2004 or thereabout. A lot of your older mainline collectors that used to be here in the mid 2000s have moved on. I'm hoping that for those who do have some ATS-34 era Spyders will indeed show them to us.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say the modern day ATS-34 is CPM 154. It is one of the crucible steels we have yet to see on an EDGE.

The only Spyderco I know to contain CPM 154 is the Laminate S90V Para, but it's only used as lamination. =\
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

Here's a couple of pics of some of mine with ATS-34.
Three of these four are ATS-34 also.

Bruceter
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I have a lot, but I have no idea how to post pictures on here believe it or not. Plus, I'm fairly terrible at taking pictures as well (all I have for a camera is my phone).

I need to figure it out already. It's ridiculous.

This is my favorite era of Spydercos. I think the original Terzuolas move me the most, but the Centofantes, Wegners, Horns and more have a hold on me as well.

I'd like to figure out how to get the Deacon to post more pictures...so far the thread has already inspired a bunch of beauties from him. Ha.

-Zach
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Does this one count?

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.