I can close my locked Endura without depressing lock by hand!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ginsuwarrior

I can close my locked Endura without depressing lock by hand!!!

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Wow...just discovered this last night while cupping knife if right hand so fingers were clear, then applying pressure to blade, the lock did not keep the blade open. This knife is a year old, never been disassembled or abused.

And I don't have abnormal strength either!!

Anybody else experience this happening before? Guess I'll give Spyderco a call this week.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Call Customer Service....

Spyderco, Inc.
Attn.: Warranty and Repair
820 Spyderco Way,
Golden, CO 80403 USA
Phone: 800-525-7770 / 303-279-8383
Fax: 303-278-2229
Email: customerservice@spyderco.com
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Thanks for the info, will do within the end of the week.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
markg

Post by markg »

And you can also do a nice check yourself to see if there are issues. First is there anything in the cut out of the tang that maybe inhibiting lock up? Sometimes lint gets packed into it and you may not even notice it. Use a dental pick or some other type tool to check it out. Look to see if the lock bar or the lock cut out has been deformed in any way also. What type of use has this knife seen? If you have used it to YouTube destruction levels then it might just have worn out.

If there is no forgien matter in the lock cut out, then it is a trip back to Golden to get looked at.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

markg wrote:If there is no foreign matter in the lock cut out, then it is a trip back to Golden to get looked at.
+1
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

markg wrote:And you can also do a nice check yourself to see if there are issues. First is there anything in the cut out of the tang that maybe inhibiting lock up? Sometimes lint gets packed into it and you may not even notice it. Use a dental pick or some other type tool to check it out. Look to see if the lock bar or the lock cut out has been deformed in any way also. What type of use has this knife seen? If you have used it to YouTube destruction levels then it might just have worn out.

If there is no forgien matter in the lock cut out, then it is a trip back to Golden to get looked at.
Exactly this. I regularly inspect my back lock knives for lint build up. This build up happens faster when the knife is carried loose in pocket rather than clipped. The lint collects in the bottom of pockets.
markg

Post by markg »

What I have also found that is that often the packed lint has the same color as the steel and you would not notice it unless you really inspect it. It will not just come out on its own either, you have to dig it out as the lock has packed it into place.