Manix 2 Cruwear w/diamond cut gray G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sold out. Wow.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Got my order in at Howe's before the bell...

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

wrdwrght wrote:I'd pay double! And $200 pushes my limit. It hadn't occurred to me that others would see their initial purchase somehow watered down by a second run. I thought they'd be like me and be glad of the chance to get another...

I can certainly understand that exclusive means exclusive until the dealer runs out of stock. But is it indeed true that Spyderco is locked into protecting earlier exclusives for all time?
I highly doubt that is the case. It may be that BBS has bought the rights to the Tan M4 Manix 2 but I really doubt that would apply if another shop wanted a Blue G10 M4 Manix or a CF M4 Manix exclusive.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I think we need more models in grey G10...I'm loving it more and more.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

This manix has been holding an edge very well. I have not sharpened it, and it is still very sharp, even after cutting fiberglass, cured epoxy, wire, and wood for this rocket. It is tough, just like the fiberglass rocket.

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Gotta love CruWear...it's such a great all around compromise between toughness, edge retention (Abrasive and non-abrasive mediums), and corrosion resistance. It very well might be my favourite "All around, all purpose" steel...I haven't sharpened my Manix2 yet either, but I've sharpened my Millie twice now and it sharpens quite easily as well.

---> Branden
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

GoldenSpydie wrote:it is still very sharp, even after cutting fiberglass
That looks a bit serious- 54mm? I have a couple with 38mm mounts and I used to be cert. level 1. I couldn't afford to go beyond that.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ManixFan wrote:It may be that BBS has bought the rights to the Tan M4 Manix 2 but I really doubt that would apply if another shop wanted a Blue G10 M4 Manix or a CF M4 Manix exclusive.
Are you suggesting we get something going? I'm in!
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Howes sent me the notification email at 5:23 PM, I found it later and completed my order at 5:46 PM, and they were sold out sometime before 5:58. Maybe there is a little luck involved in this, as well as persistence :eek:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ManixFan wrote:It may be that BBS has bought the rights to the Tan M4 Manix 2 but I really doubt that would apply if another shop wanted a Blue G10 M4 Manix or a CF M4 Manix exclusive.
wrdwrght wrote:Are you suggesting we get something going? I'm in!
You can certainly count me in with bells on, but how about diamond cut Foliage Green?... now, how to get Sal to put it ahead of an M4 Para2 :rolleyes: If we could get some dealer to run it as an exclusive, we wouldn't have to worry about the Para2, right?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I think we need more models in grey G10...I'm loving it more and more.

Agreed--I have gone from skeptical of gray to very fond of it, but I'd really like to see more foliage green too.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I have no foliage green...yet. I do like it and I'm sure I'll wind up with some eventually.

---> Branden
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'm gutted I still haven't got one of these. I will persevere and hopefully snag one at some point
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Philo Beddoe wrote:That was a BBS exclusive, they are the only one that can reorder it. No other dealer can..

They (BBS) have also said no more of those would be ordered/made so its secondary markets only for those..
DougC-3 wrote:I would gladly get one too, but it's been quite a while since the BBS exclusive was run, so, even if they could or would run them again, I expect there would be blowback from previous buyers who who thought their value was compromised. I'm always struck by the initial BBS price of those -- $153.95 :eek:
wrdwrght wrote:I'd pay double! And $200 pushes my limit. It hadn't occurred to me that others would see their initial purchase somehow watered down by a second run. I thought they'd be like me and be glad of the chance to get another...

I can certainly understand that exclusive means exclusive until the dealer runs out of stock. But is it indeed true that Spyderco is locked into protecting earlier exclusives for all time?
From the Spyderco website, FWIW:
Spyderco Exclusive - This is defined by Spyderco as a production of any Spyderco product at the request of a wholesale customer in a configuration different than what has been previously produced. Exclusives are produced for one customer or in conjunction with one customer and the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store (at the customer's request). Like Spyderco Sprint Runs, this can include changes in the handle color, materials, blade steel, coatings, etc. Production quantities are generally based on minimum material requirements, etc. and the customer reserves the right to re-order this item while it is under the exclusive contract. In most circumstances, Spyderco reserves the right to re-produce the item after contractual obligations have been fulfilled.
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

I just snagged one from knifeworks...
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

bdblue wrote:That looks a bit serious- 54mm? I have a couple with 38mm mounts and I used to be cert. level 1. I couldn't afford to go beyond that.
38mm--plan to use up to a CTI Pro-38 4G case, which would be a middle-of-the-road I. This will be my NAR Jr. L1 cert rocket, so I hope it works! It is a MadCow 2.6" Fiberglass DX3, modified for dual deploy with an AIM 3 altimeter to control the charges.

My dad has a MadCow 4" Frenzy (paper tubes) with a 54mm mount, but we've only used 38mm motors so far.

That was probably more than you wanted to know, but there you go.

But I digress. I just got a second one for $130 at KW! It will be me first duplicate of a "high end" knife, so I'm kind of surprised by myself. But I like it so much, that I will keep this one as a new example so that I don't have to feel bad about using my other one.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

mehhhhhhhh wrote:I just snagged one from knifeworks...
For $128(!?) nonetheless? Got my backup! Thanks for the heads-up.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Yep finally got one from KW.
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I have no foliage green...yet. I do like it and I'm sure I'll wind up with some eventually.
You'll love it. It varies from gray to golden gray to olive gray, depending on the light. The G-10 Dragonfly would be the best way to sample it, then be prepared to spend some money on other examples :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JNewell wrote:From the Spyderco website, FWIW: In most circumstances, Spyderco reserves the right to re-produce the [Exclusive] item after contractual obligations have been fulfilled.

[/B]
That sounds very promising (with reference to getting another run of Manix2 with M4 steel). I wonder if there are any examples of that happening. It might be avoided in some cases to keep from offending the dealer. Also it might be less complicated to just change the scale type to something like diamond cut foliage green G-10 or worse yet :) , carbon fiber, though there's already been a Manix2 model with peel-ply CF. That way, it could be run as either an exclusive or a sprint.