Manix 2 Cruwear w/diamond cut gray G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Where are you guys finding these already for sale? Of course there's the Spyderco home page, but I'm not inclined to pay full MSRP...
I felt the same, but had a feeling these would sell out REALLY fast. I just broke down and ordered one from Spyderco directly...and I looked at it in the catalog immediately after (Not 5 minutes ago) and it's already listed as "Sold Out". Now I'm super glad I didn't hesitate...I'm super stoked for this one.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I just found (and purchased) one at a price I was willing to pay: $158 + free shipping at Oso Grande Knives.

Still in stock as far as I know.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Still hunting for one. I have a feeling several of us have the same favorite knife dealer around here.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Osogrande sold out
nccole

Post by nccole »

Clip wrote:Still hunting for one. I have a feeling several of us have the same favorite knife dealer around here.
I have about four or five "preferred" dealers :D
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

How many did Spyderco make?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

wow this seems to be more popular than the yo2 s90v :P
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I think I may just have to try and get a hold of one of these
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Fear not. More of these will ship. I promise. :cool:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

damnit after giving up my M4 M2...I really want one to replace it.
On the hunt for...
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Popsickle wrote:wow this seems to be more popular than the yo2 s90v :P
Nah, KW has all of those (Yo2) available for preorder whereas only a small portion of the run have been available for preorder for these grey Manix. Most dealers are going to list them once in stock.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Apparently ask and ye shall receive :D

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... nix-2-Grey
Yes! Yes! Yes! :D
Thank You Spyderco :spyder: !
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Are these only available for US dealers or will they be available to International dealers also? **** I really want one of these :p
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say that they are going to be on the streets much earlier than the S90V Yojimbo 2's.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

DougC-3 wrote:Fear not. More of these will ship. I promise.
People promised that the S110V Manix 2 would be a regular production item but there is no evidence that any of them have been manufactured for about 3 months or more.
Donut

Post by Donut »

bdblue wrote:People promised that the S110V Manix 2 would be a regular production item but there is no evidence that any of them have been manufactured for about 3 months or more.
In my mind that makes sense if they had a Manix 2 Sprint put in the production schedule. I always see shortages of the same models when a sprint is almost ready to come out.

Remember this is a production "line". In order to make a special run of Manix, you have to temporarily stop production on the normal Manix.

There could also be a supply issue on the S110V, as far as I know, this is the only normal production knife that has ever used S110V.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Popsickle wrote:wow this seems to be more popular than the yo2 s90v :P
I think the opposite is true. The manix 2 is considered a general utility knife which reaches a wider market. The Yo2 is more of a niche.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

The price could be a factor, also.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

For all the guys who have used both, what does Cruwear give you that M4 doesn't?

I know you have to take manufacturers data with a grain of salt, but refer to this chart:
http://www.crucible.com/eselector/gener ... part9.html

It compares CPM versions of Cruwear (at RC 60) with M4 (at RC 62). For arguments sake, lets assume Crucible is painting a positive picture for both. According to this chart, even at lower hardness, Cruwear is as tough as M4, but with only about 25% the wear resistance.

Or looking at another comparison, Cruwear has similar wear resistance as 3V at the same hardness, but only has 55% the toughness.

I acknowledge that every steel has its uses, but for a knife I do not really see the appeal compared to M4 to be honest... Better edge stability? More corrosion resistant than M4? Easier to sharpen? Enlighten me please...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Brock O Lee wrote:For all the guys who have used both, what does Cruwear give you that M4 doesn't?

I know you have to take manufacturers data with a grain of salt, but refer to this chart:
http://www.crucible.com/eselector/gener ... part9.html

It compares CPM versions of Cruwear (at RC 60) with M4 (at RC 62). For arguments sake, lets assume Crucible is painting a positive picture for both. According to this chart, even at lower hardness, Cruwear is as tough as M4, but with only about 25% the wear resistance.

Or looking at another comparison, Cruwear has similar wear resistance as 3V at the same hardness, but only has 55% the toughness.

I acknowledge that every steel has its uses, but for a knife I do not really see the appeal compared to M4 to be honest... Better edge stability? More corrosion resistant than M4? Easier to sharpen? Enlighten me please...
All great questions to which I would love to know the answers as well. Sadly though, steel is not my professional area of expertise and I am in the process of gaining knowledge myself. I think that I read somewhere that it is more corrosion resistant than M4 but I can't source this info as to where it came from. Oh wait a minute, I think it was from a thread that Nemo has on BF in which the Cruwear Military was reviewed and discussed....but can't remember who it was that stated it ....except that Nemo couldn't get it to patina with regular food prep and eating utensil usage.

....an interesting thread....
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... r-Military

I hope some of the steel gurus on this forum are feeling charitable (and not cranky at once again providing info which to them is "obvious" :rolleyes :) and will respond to these questions.

Stamp, Ankerson,.....anyone else? The "Bug Signal" has been lit and your expertise is needed.....hop in those tights and strap on that utility belt and please come to the rescue :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D