Failed Calendar Contest Pics?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bakergh

Failed Calendar Contest Pics?

Post by bakergh »

Anyone have any pics they took for the calendar contest that just didn't work out? I like to try my hand at photos from time to time and I had a great idea for the calendar contest. I tried take a closeup of one of my knives through the scope of rifle and call it "On the hunt" or something like that, but I just couldn't get it to work. The optics just wouldn't work out. Oh well. Here's an example:

Anyone else have ideas that didn't work out?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah I had a couple last year, I'll see if I can dig them up for you. I like your idea, maybe keep at it? Nice knife btw.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I took a bunch with my phone that I like, but then saw the required resolution and had to take those off my idea list. I love your idea though! I might try and get a similar one like that with my rem700. What are the rifle specs you have there?
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
remnar

Post by remnar »

I spent all day yesterday trying to get the perfect pic, but I could not get most of them to turn out the way I envisioned them. I even got up early to drive 4 hours to one of my favorite locations and couldn't get a usable picture. Here are a few of my fails.

Nice shot of a horse fly in this one.

I just couldn't get the depth of field that I wanted.

One more blurry mountain shot.

Here's what that Mountain really looks like.

Here's a shot taken in the woods.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Last year's entry was this one

But I came close to entering this one, since it was a pretty hot knife at the time. I don't really know why I chose the RL over it but I'm glad I did (since it won for Nov)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

This would have been mine, but I was extremely bummed to find out the resolution was slightly too low.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

remnar wrote:I spent all day yesterday trying to get the perfect pic, but I could not get most of them to turn out the way I envisioned them. I even got up early to drive 4 hours to one of my favorite locations and couldn't get a usable picture. Here are a few of my fails.

Nice shot of a horse fly in this one.

I just couldn't get the depth of field that I wanted.
Hey Remnar,

That shot is really nice, would have worked if you got the correct depth of field like you said. Do you have a tripod? Set up again on a tripod and try these manual setting on your camera (if that is an option)

ISO 100
F22 or F25 or something high like that.
Shutter speed = whatever you need to get the correct exposure you want. It will be longer than usual, a couple seconds long even. Experiment.

Hope this helps and apologies for offering advice when none was asked for :o
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

How about pics you had intentions of submitting, but forgot? :o

I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
cckw

Post by cckw »

It doesn't matter if I am taking the photo or in the photo, any photo connected to me is a failure. Some good looking photos here. Hard to be one of 12 out of a ton.
psmith27

Post by psmith27 »

I have piles of rejects...Will have to load some. Half the fun is trying and trying again.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Hey Remnar,

That shot is really nice, would have worked if you got the correct depth of field like you said. Do you have a tripod? Set up again on a tripod and try these manual setting on your camera (if that is an option)

ISO 100
F22 or F25 or something high like that.
Shutter speed = whatever you need to get the correct exposure you want. It will be longer than usual, a couple seconds long even. Experiment.

Hope this helps and apologies for offering advice when none was asked for :o
Cobra,

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I do plan on playing around with the camera a little to see if I can improve the depth of field, but this shot probably won't be redone. The location in the pictures that I posted took me 4 hours one way to get to from my house. The pictures were disappointing, but the trip was fun with a lot of beautiful scenery.
bakergh

Post by bakergh »

chuckd wrote:I took a bunch with my phone that I like, but then saw the required resolution and had to take those off my idea list. I love your idea though! I might try and get a similar one like that with my rem700. What are the rifle specs you have there?
That is my CZ 452 American with BSA Sweet .22 Scope
bakergh

Post by bakergh »

Here are a couple more that I won't run with.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This was one I was thinking of entering this year. I took it today, but I'm not happy with it so I'm posting it here.

These are my alternatives to the photo I used for last years entry.

I eventually found the time to make it out at night to get the shot that I had planned all along. I think I made the right choice as I got the October spot (my bday month) :D

@liquid_cobra
bakergh

Post by bakergh »

Based on that watermelon pic I'd say you should cater the next spyderco company barbecue. Those are some awesome shots.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Well, I was going over the guidelines again about to submit a photo when I realized that my submission is portrait not landscape! Oh man. Time to get back to work...

Here is what I was going to submit:
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are some ones that I'm not entering. Sorry for so many pictures in one post; I just have so many that I like! :o

psmith27

Post by psmith27 »

As always I wish everyone luck this year
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I lack the proper camera to pull off calendar worthy pics.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

An iphone or android will do just fine!

@liquid_cobra