Marvel Collab?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Marvel Collab?

Post by MacLaren »

This may have been mentioned before. If so, excuse me. But, I think it would be really cool. I also would bet that Spyderco does not go to others for collaborations, rather they come to Spyderco. However, in this case I would hope that Sal might approach Marvel. I would love to see a commemorative/Sprint/whatever lol of an XL Manix 2 of Thor, or a PMII of Spyderman......maybe a Military done up for Captain America? Tatanka for the Hulk? At any rate, it would be awesome imo...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

IMO, the PR that would come from Marvel associating with a knife company (even a noble and awesome one) would be tough to battle. After all, while companies like Marvel and DC target young adults/adults they do have a fairly large child clientele these days with parents who have no problem letting their kids watch Hugh Jackman eviscerate a group of mafia members but would take offense to a pocket knife with his face on it.

It's safer for them to put their IP on lunchboxes and Band-Aids.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I want a Spongebob delica! ;) . In all seriousness I think blerv probably nailed it in the above post. ^
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I reckon blerv probably did nail it.
That's a shame though.
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Sponge bob needs to be the salt series.
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
v8r

Post by v8r »

Spider-man's knife is coming out later this year. I think you could look through the catalogue and figure out which one I am referring to. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

v8r wrote:Spider-man's knife is coming out later this year. I think you could look through the catalogue and figure out which one I am referring to. ;)
Yes. Mike Draper. That knife is gorgeous.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I like the creative thinking. I was a huge Marvel Comics fan as a kid and very much enjoy the movies as an adult. I would love to see this collaboration happen, but...

I don't think that a collaboration would benefit Marvel much at all. After all, shouldn't both sides get something out of a collaboration (in theory)? What would entice Marvel to agree to it? They are already making money hand over fist, and the production run of whatever knife would probably be pretty small. If I were a Marvel executive, I would have to say that I have bigger fish to fry and move on.

Maybe the collaboration would have to be a series to make it appealing? Even then, the profit that Marvel would get would be pretty small in their world. They certainly don't need the relatively small bit of P.R. that would be gained. Spyderco is a relatively specialized brand - mostly for knife afi's like us. It's doubtful that the news of the collaboration would reach millions of folks - just a few hundred, maybe a few thousand knife nuts.

I like the idea a lot. I just don't see an angle on it that could make it a reality. Perhaps if some higher-up in Marvel were a knife fan - then there would be appeal beyond the simple economics of it.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I don't think it would be very fitting on a serious knife company either
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

mikerestivo wrote:I like the creative thinking. I was a huge Marvel Comics fan as a kid and very much enjoy the movies as an adult. I would love to see this collaboration happen, but...

I don't think that a collaboration would benefit Marvel much at all. After all, shouldn't both sides get something out of a collaboration (in theory)? What would entice Marvel to agree to it? They are already making money hand over fist, and the production run of whatever knife would probably be pretty small. If I were a Marvel executive, I would have to say that I have bigger fish to fry and move on.

Maybe the collaboration would have to be a series to make it appealing? Even then, the profit that Marvel would get would be pretty small in their world. They certainly don't need the relatively small bit of P.R. that would be gained. Spyderco is a relatively specialized brand - mostly for knife afi's like us. It's doubtful that the news of the collaboration would reach millions of folks - just a few hundred, maybe a few thousand knife nuts.

I like the idea a lot. I just don't see an angle on it that could make it a reality. Perhaps if some higher-up in Marvel were a knife fan - then there would be appeal beyond the simple economics of it.
Thanx Mike.
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

Don't be a hater.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I'd buy a Spider-man Spydie, but if it never happens, It wouldn't be all that difficult to customize a Spydie to be Spider-man themed.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

klug932000 wrote:Sponge bob needs to be the salt series.
Thanks to this thread, my Dragonfly Salt SE "beach/snorkel knife" is now nicknamed SpongeBob. :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol....this went from a Marvel thread to a Nick Jr thread.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'd pick up two spyderco wolverine claws
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bornagainprimative wrote:I'd pick up two spyderco wolverine claws
Nice one.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Ant Man Ladybug? Yes, please!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I wouldn't mind a Manix2 XL with a Black Queen motif.

Witchblade would be nice too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How about a Green Hulk Manix 2 XL and a red and black Ant Man Manbug?

There could also be a Captain America Red, White, and Blue Paramilitary 2
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050