I need help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

I need help

Post by elena86 »

A friend of mine is planning a trip around the world.He is not a knife guy( he only uses a SAK as edc) and never owned a Spyderco but he confessed that he loves my Spydies.He is determined to purchase and take a Spyderco folder with him as a trustfull companion and he asked for my opinion.He specified that he wants a multi-role model(edc,self defense,camping etc with a 3-3.5 inch blade).I recommended the Para2 in S30V steel or the Yojimbo 2 but I need you opinions too.Thanx.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

elena86 wrote:A friend of mine is planning a trip around the world.He is not a knife guy( he only uses a SAK as edc) and never owned a Spyderco but he confessed that he loves my Spydies.He is determined to purchase and take a Spyderco folder with him as a trustfull companion and he asked for my opinion.He specified that he wants a multi-role model(edc,self defense,camping etc with a 3-3.5 inch blade).I recommended the Para2 in S30V steel or the Yojimbo 2 but I need you opinions too.Thanx.
Is he concerned about knife laws abroad?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I would to check the local knife laws from the countries he is planning to visite, some countries have very strickt laws. Maybe go for a UKPK, that is a knife you can carry almost everywhere. But again not all countries tolerate it, for example in Danmark.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
elena86

Post by elena86 »

xceptnl wrote:Is he concerned about knife laws abroad?
No worries !
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Get a Byrd so it doesn't hurt as bad if/when the knife is confiscated or thrown away,
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
elena86

Post by elena86 »

IG-88 wrote:I would to check the local knife laws from the countries he is planning to visite, some countries have very strickt laws. Maybe go for a UKPK, that is a knife you can carry almost everywhere. But again not all countries tolerate it, for example in Danmark.
He is going to travel mostly outdoors, in rural areas,remote tribal villages and areas, jungles, forests, safari trips etc.And he is the kind of guy ho gives a sh...(scuze my french) on local laws anyway.So, let's ignore local knife laws and concentrate on the topic, please.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

elena86 wrote:He is going to travel mostly outdoors, in rural areas,remote tribal villages and areas, jungles, forests, safari trips etc.And he is the kind of guy ho gives a sh...(scuze my french) on local laws anyway.So, let's ignore local knife laws and concentrate on the topic, please.
Alright, that being said, I would think that the new Manix 2 LTWT in S110V would be excellent in that role. Lightweight, strong, great edge retention, economical, discrete and deep carry.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

Agreed 110VM2LW or a Pacific Salt in SE
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say that someone I know not caring about laws and me giving them advice that could land them in jail or getting their property confiscated are two different things.

When I travel, I read the laws and follow them. I know how the law enforcement is where I live and they are pretty relaxed, but some other countries will put you in prison indefinitely or give public canings for things that seem really dumb here.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi elena86!

According to your friend's requests I would say a Delica or a Native might fit the job.

But international laws are a primary concern that he might be considering.

If I were in the same position I'd take a Manix2 S110V, specially regarding outdoor/camping activities.
Stay Sharp!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I gotta cast a vote for the Caly 3.5 w/VG10.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

elena86 wrote:He is going to travel mostly outdoors, in rural areas,remote tribal villages and areas, jungles, forests, safari trips etc.And he is the kind of guy ho gives a sh...(scuze my french) on local laws anyway.So, let's ignore local knife laws and concentrate on the topic, please.
If laws are not the concern I would defently take the PM2, it can handle the jobs you mentioned. On the otherhand for this style of travel my main blade is a fixed blade, a Spyderco Buschcrafter is then my prefered choice.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
elena86

Post by elena86 »

IG-88 wrote:If laws are not the concern I would defently take the PM2, it can handle the jobs you mentioned. On the otherhand for this style of travel my main blade is a fixed blade, a Spyderco Buschcrafter is then my prefered choice.
He is going to backpack a parang when necessary but he told me that he wants a have a concealed folder on him even when he sleeps.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

elena86 wrote:And he is the kind of guy ho gives a sh...(scuze my french) on local laws anyway.
If he wants to get thrown in a foreign prison for having an illegal knife, that's fine I guess... :rolleyes: Excuse my sarcasm, but ignoring international knife laws is plain stupid. Honestly.

My suggestion would be a Pingo. It is not possible to open one handed (thus legal in countries such as Denmark), is small (legal in many places), is a slipjoint (legal in the UK), and has a wire clip (is discreet).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:If he wants to get thrown in a foreign prison for having an illegal knife, that's fine I guess... :rolleyes: Excuse my sarcasm, but ignoring international knife laws is plain stupid. Honestly.

My suggestion would be a Pingo. It is not possible to open one handed (thus legal in countries such as Denmark), is small (legal in many places), is a slipjoint (legal in the UK), and has a wire clip (is discreet).
Excuse my sarcasm but...why not a Bug ? Pingo is waaaay to big !
Donut

Post by Donut »

Denmark has some of the most strict laws around, but I've heard of countries where you will get in trouble for any knife at all.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If for self-defense (he does want to sleep with it...) and if this requirement outweighs the risk of contravening local laws, then, by all means, a knife that can lock and be made to slash and to stick. The PM2 leaps to mind. Besides, it's easy to clean and dry.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 since it's extreme low ride clip doesn't attract a lot of attention and it is the most comfortable of all Spydercos to carry because it takes up less pocket room than anything else. The Caly 3.5 has totally ruined me and I have started selling or trading some of my Spydercos as the result. There is absolutely nothing in the Spyderco catalog that makes as much sense as the Caly 3.5
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

These threads always get a bit silly for some reason. I'm staying out of the ethics debate.

I live in a coastal area of Central America with the jungle for my backyard. If I could only have one folder for fishing, hiking, work, and yes, travel, it would probably be my serrated edge Pacific Salt. Lightweight, tough, cheap, impervious to the elements, and serrated h1 will hold a functional working edge without sharpening for...well, pretty much forever. I have carried and used mine all over the world without issue.

Sounds like your buddy has some fun adventures ahead. I wish him well. :)
M80

Post by M80 »

I would go with a para 2.