Spyderco Endura vs. Iphone 6 Screen

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Spyderco Endura vs. Iphone 6 Screen

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just saw this video on a local news site and recognized the Spyderco Endura. Personally I was more interested in the Endura than the new Iphone 6 sapphire glass, lol.

[video=youtube;5R0_FJ4r73s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... R0_FJ4r73s[/video]
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Super Blue? I couldn't quite make out the laminate line.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

PayneTrain wrote:Super Blue? I couldn't quite make out the laminate line.
I thought it was the VG-10 version myself
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Is there a gray VG-10? I thought that color was only used in the Super Blue sprint
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

PayneTrain wrote:Is there a gray VG-10? I thought that color was only used in the Super Blue sprint
The grey VG-10 came out when all of the other colored versions did (orange, purple, green, brown, blue, etc.)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donut

Post by Donut »

There is a Gray VG-10.

*edit* Here is a picture I took of the Gray/VG-10 (Left) next to the Gray/Super Blue (Right).

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Sapphire crystal screens on phones should be pretty cool. I'm looking forward to see if there is any advantage to using that over Gorilla Glass.
Someone should take a glass breaker to that screen :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm sure the first person to get one will drop it on a rock in the first 10 seconds. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Sapphire is awesome, insanely hard and time tested on watch glass for quite some time, it's only shortcoming is that it can shatter. Because the screen is so thin and flexible, it may be less likely to do so making it an ideal solution. Diamond jewelry would probably be the most likely thing to scratch the screen, but I don't know how much force would be needed.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Quite sure it was VG-10. I stopped the video at 2:54 and you can see two letters/ numbers a space and two more, I can't make them out but you can fill in the blanks since it is 2-2 (VG-10).
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Giving the fact that I'd never stab my iPhone with any of my Spydies I'm more concerned about how significant weight increase, if any, of the Sapphire Crystal over the Gorilla Glass.
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Sapphire is about 67% heavier than Gorilla Glass, but it is far more tough. There have been tests where cinderblocks were dragged across these new iPhone 6 screens and no scratches occurred.

http://www.cultofmac.com/267068/everyth ... id-ask-qa/

The biggest issue will be cost, it would seem. iPhones are already crazy light with the third party case being the biggest determinant in both size and weight of the device in pocket. I don't see weight being a factor at all because of the size of the screens. Apple has been researching ways to use sapphire for years.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Donut wrote:There is a Gray VG-10.
pdptrow wrote:Quite sure it was VG-10. I stopped the video at 2:54 and you can see two letters/ numbers a space and two more, I can't make them out but you can fill in the blanks since it is 2-2 (VG-10).
Thank you sirs, I am now learned! Though I'm less impressed by his "testing" now that I know it's VG-10. Not a lot of carbides in there that would stand a chance against glass anyway. The flexing part was pretty amazing though.
timlara

Post by timlara »

MachSchnell wrote:Looks to be vg10.

Not really impressive though:
Keys - Soft material... not even going to touch average "glass" screens.
Steel - Not as hard as glass... not really going to do much to screens.

Is the there even a sharp edge leading to the tip of that blade? For all we know the tip is rounded as well as the edge, just For sheer visual shock value and sales pitching.

I'd like to see some dirt, sand, or other daily encountered abrasive material tested on this "super sapphire" screen technology.
The only things that have scratched my screens are leftover sanding/sharpening residue, and soiled or sandy hands.
+1 to this. I've never had a problem with keys, etc scratching my phones and of course, why would anyone ever do something like run a knife across it...but what I am interested in is whether it makes any difference in a drop to concrete! Surviving THAT is the biggest problem facing phone durability IMHO.

Thanks for posting, though. Nice to see a Spydie featured in a 2 million+ hit video!

Edited: Just watched cujobob's video with the cinder block to iPhone test and THAT was much more promising for durability if real!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree that the flexing was much more impressive than the knife and keys. Sapphire is the same stuff used in the Sharpmaker rods as the abrasive (in a ceramic matrix). The hardness is much greater than glass, but what I haven't seen answered is how its work of fracture compares with Gorilla Glass. Properly testing this involves destruction of screens, not something I plan to do on my own device.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

"Giving the fact that I'd never stab my iPhone with any of my Spydies I'm more concerned about how significant weight increase, if any, of the Sapphire Crystal over the Gorilla Glass. "

From what I have read, there is significant weight reduction using Sapphire glass.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It looks like a nice improvement over Gorilla Glass, but it also looks like I'll still have to carry my EDC "beach vacation in your pocket" fist full of sand in a different pocket than my phone. :(

oh, and Android > iPhone
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

I saw this on Headline News this morning. I wasn't really paying attention, until I saw the Spyderco!
Nice to see it on tv.
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D
Jax

Post by Jax »

To the fellow who said glass is harder than steel.
Not true.
Some steel will scratch some glass.
For instance a hardened steel file can scratch some glass..
Anyways awesome stuff! I have sapphire coatings on some of my flashlight lenses,but this looks even better because of the toughness factor.