Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Military

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I've not been active on here for quite some time, I'd like to briefly talk about what brought me back into the Spyderco fold. In the last year I've lost interest with my knives and sold them all except my Victorinox multitool. For the last couple of months I've felt the need for a stand alone knife, the serrated butterknife on the Victorinox just wasn't cutting it (pun intended). I've had many different Spyderco knives in the past and so I'm familiar with most their models. I wanted to get one knife for my EDC uses, something that is a honest gimick free design. Something I would carry for a long while and not feel like replacing.

I thought about a Paramilitary 2, but in Canada I couldn't find it in stock. My second choice was a Military, I've briefly had several Military models but then I sold them shortly after for various reasons. Anyway I put a WTB ad on a Canadian gun forum and a fellow contacted me about a NIB Military he had, he wanted $130 for it. I sent him the money and shortly after it arrived in the mail.

I haven't held a Military for a year or more, it felt huge in the hand and I started to have second doubts that it would work for me. I decided to give it an honest effort and carry it everywhere clipped to my right front pocket. It's been four months now and I love the thing! It has shruck considerably :) and in four months of daily use I have yet to even touch up the edge, I can still shave hairs with it. I thank Sal for a brilliant design, it is so big while being light and strong. The almost 4" blade pretty much covers your every cutting need. I even like the tip down pocket clip, it is very sturdy and with some practice it is faster to open that way too.

I wanted to thank Sal and the Spyderco crew for an excellent knife. I highly recommend it for a good general purpose blade. Thanks!!
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Congrats on your return to the fold and what a choice to punctuate your homecoming. I love my Military models and they would be the last Spydies I would let go if I had to thin down my collection. Welcome back!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Spyderco Military is just bad azz.
Absolutely lethal!
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

FLYBYU44 wrote:... It has shrunk considerably :) ...
Welcome back!

The Military should be called the incredible shrinking knife. The first time I held one I thought there would be no way in the world I would ever own such a huge knife, let alone carry one. A few years later my two military's probably have seen more pocket time than any other model I own.

Ian
"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

rescueseven wrote:Welcome back!

The Military should be called the incredible shrinking knife. The first time I held one I thought there would be no way in the world I would ever own such a huge knife, let alone carry one. A few years later my two military's probably have seen more pocket time than any other model I own.

Ian
Wow. Very nice! I'm a little green with envy...