All this talk of hawkbills........

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WELLLL.. I pulled the trigger on a yeller SE Tasman.. My first SE!!! Yinz guyz are a BAD influence.. Now to start my forgiveness speech!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:What about a grey G10 handle Harpy ?! Serrated of course.
One of the worst heartbreaks I've ever endured in my life was about 2 years ago I either lost or got stolen my original G-10 handled, ATS-55 Harpy which had been my constant companion blade since the mid 2000s.

If they come out with another G-10 Harpy soon it will automatically be at the very top of my "GOTTA HAVE LIST" for knives. I don't care if the G-10 is gray, black, purple or even yellow>> the color to me is negotiable but I do want a VG-10 or better blade. I do think we'll see another G-10 Harpy on the horizon even if it's a SPRINT RUN.

If enough people keep requesting it we will see another G-10 Harpy I'm sure of it. I'm surprised we haven't seen another one already.

I would also like to eventually see a Spyderhawk and Superhawk SE both in G-10 handles.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Why do you think we'll see another G10 Harpy ??? Why ? ....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:Why do you think we'll see another G10 Harpy ??? Why ? ....
For pretty much the same reason the Police model returned with a G-10 handle. There are just a lot of Spyderco fans who loved the G-10 Harpy. Everytime I've mentioned the G-10 Harpy I get nothing but enthusiastic fanfare.

The problem bringing about a bigger selection of Hawkbills in the Spyderco line up is that they don't sell really well like their conventional blades do. But they do sell slowly and consistently enough to keep a few in the main line up i.e. the Stainless Handled Harpy will probably be around for some time to come.

When they brought back the Spyderhawk model in the H-1 Salt Series it sold much better than the original VG-10, 2003 model did by a long shot. But it still didn't sell well enough to remain on the main line up.

Spyderco's Hawkbills and especially the Harpy does sell enough units to keep it on the market. Also it's an ideal model for Sprint run consideration. I would love to see a gift set of the Harpy and Spyderhawk both being offered in G-10 handles and I do think that could be a possibility down the road.

When people are in the market for serrated knives they usually think of Spyderco first>> it's also true when they think of premium quality hawkbill blades>> Spyderco really is the best one made for the most part.

I can't predict exactly when they will cave in and give us a G-10 Harpy but I do think it will happen in the next 2 to 3 years.
remnar

Post by remnar »

remnar wrote:$15 at Omaha Knife right now. I ordered one earlier this week along with the glow in the dark Delica kit. They were almost the same price. :)
Here it is and I'm extremely impressed. The fit and finish is not as nice as my Tasman, but It does seem just as solid. I've been using this knife out in the yard and it has performed well above what I would expect from a $15 knife.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

remnar wrote:Here it is and I'm extremely impressed. The fit and finish is not as nice as my Tasman, but It does seem just as solid. I've been using this knife out in the yard and it has performed well above what I would expect from a $15 knife.
I've said for years now that for reasons of being dedicated to the "Real McCoy" Spyderco blades that I would never buy any of the BYRD knives>> but I will admit that I've been tempted on a few occasions to try out one BYRD's Crossbill models. Albeit the SUPERHAWK model has about the same minutes, degees and overall radii that the Crossbill has but the SUPERHAWK was never made available in SPYDEREDGE ( which confuses me to no end).

I may just hold out and hope someday that Spyderco themselves will do a Hawkbill in the same style and geometry as the CROSSBILL but I got a feeling I might just have to get a Superhawk done in serrations by one of those knife companies or custom makers that does that. But with Hawkbills ( especially Spyderco's) getting more and more fanfare and people that actually use them>> I got a feeling we might see one with Spyderco's name on it.

I'm also still holding out hope that we'll see a fixed blade Hawkbill in our near future as well. And if they do I'm sure the degree and angle of the blade would be similar to that of the Crossbill.
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Let's not forget those dang awful plastic bubble packs.

My Harpy makes short work of them. I'll buy a G-10 (or even a FRN) Harpy if Spyderco ever makes one.

My Civilian cut a bubble pack so quick it scared me, I went back to the Harpy.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jnichols2 wrote:Let's not forget those dang awful plastic bubble packs.

My Harpy makes short work of them. I'll buy a G-10 (or even a FRN) Harpy if Spyderco ever makes one.

My Civilian cut a bubble pack so quick it scared me, I went back to the Harpy.
Yeah you're right the Harpy is much more controllable than the "Reverse S" blades are like the Civilian and Matriarch. Don't get me wrong because I use my Matriarch a lot in this neighborhood I'm currently living in and I wouldn't be without it. But for practical cutting chores where a pull cut is much safer then the Harpy is truly the best of the bunch. Even though I EDCed my Spyderhawk for almost 2 months a loved it I still would rather have the Harpy for sturdy, controllable cutting.

They so much need to bring back the G-10 Harpy which I feel had much better grip/purchase. I would even love a G-10 Harpy with one of the Supersteels and make it available in PE ( for those who are adverse to Spyderedges) and SE for those of us who can't be without a blade with serious teeth in it.

Again I would love to see a Christmas special this coming fall with a Harpy and Spyderhawk both with G-10 handles. And if they wanted to make it a three-some pack they could also throw in a Superhawk ( in Spyderedge this time thank you). I long for the days of the old Big Hawkbill thread we had going for years>> a lot of the contributors to that thread have moved on sadly to say but we covered about every aspect imaginable concerning Hawkbills in that thread.
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

I will recieve my first hawkbill knife next week, namely the Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill FRN serrated. I think it will be a nice utility blade. If Spyderco brings back a G-10 Harpy plain edge I will buy it instantly... ;)

BR Oliver
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

_centurio_ wrote:I will recieve my first hawkbill knife next week, namely the Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill FRN serrated. I think it will be a nice utility blade. If Spyderco brings back a G-10 Harpy plain edge I will buy it instantly... ;)
Well Brother you along with about 6 others on this thread have made my case>> that the G-10 Harpy needs to return as a Sprint model if nothing else. But I'm willing to bet that if they would add it to the main line up it would eventually out-sell the stainless handled version we have now. G-10 handles have much more grip IMO than the stainless handle does and is much safer to use in wet, marine like conditions in which the Harpy was originally target marketed for in the first place.

I would even be for colored G-10 handles and also make it available in PE, CE and SE all three. And color code the type of edge it has. Also if you use any Hawkbill around marine conditions you absolutely must consider some type of lanyard for it. Because you don't even know how many Spyder Brothers & Sisters I've talked to the past 10 years or so that have lost a great blade by dropping it overboard. That's totally preventable and check out the Lanyard thread that was done by Doc Snubnose some time ago.