Spyderco: The Undisputed King Of Small Blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco: The Undisputed King Of Small Blades

Post by JD Spydo »

Personally throughout my knife using years I had never been much of a fan of small blade knives. That is until I got a few of Spyderco's eloquent and well thought out small bladed designs. One of my all time favorites was and still is the Dodo. When I first got my Dodo I truly only thought of it as a novelty or collector's piece,. Until one day just for curiosity I EDCed it and much to my surprise I was able to do just about everything I could do with my current EDC at the time which was a Renegade model. I have no doubt that Eric Glesser put a ton of thought and did a lot of experimenting with that blade before he got it put it in production.

After that I had other Spyderco small bladed knives that I truly marveled at as to how useful and how utilitarian the designs were. My ZDP-189 Caly Jr. goes down as one of my most used Spyders ever. Also the Stainless version of the Caly Jr. was truly a super blade being it was the only hollow ground of all the Caly Juniors. With stalwart designs like the Dragonfly that just seems to never go away ( and there's a reason for it). I've never ever seen any other small bladed knives made by any other company other than Spyderco that has such useful designs. And it doesn't seem to matter whether or not they are plain edged, Spyderedged or combo edged.

Even borderline small blades like the Harpy, TASMAN, Merlin it is amazing how useful and practical they are. Other borderline models like the Native and the fixed blade SPOT model surprised a lot of people as to how useful they are. I'm sure many of you have a Spyderco small bladed model that you literally swear by>> so tell us about that small blade you find to be up to the task. Let's talk and compare Spyderco's great small bladed models.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like to carry a Cricket PE. Excellent for opening packages, super thin and a very nice looking and unique design.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good call. I love the size of the Chicago, plus the liner-lock, but wish the steel was a bit more to boast about. It's an amazingly useful knife.

On the basis that I don't want a back lock, what would be a "better" alternative?
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
bearfacedkiller

The G10 Dragonfly, Dragonfly Salt SE and BRG Dragonfly in ZDP are all exceptional little big knives and I expect to see them all mentioned.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Splice

Post by Splice »

My wife uses her meerkat every day. My H1 hawkbill ladybug is one of the biggest workhorses in my collection.
Holland

Post by Holland »

The chaparral and dragonfly are by far my favourite small knives (don't consider anything 3inch or over small). I hope to one day try the caly jr and I have a salsa on the way so my mind may change in the future
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Splice wrote:My wife uses her meerkat every day. My H1 hawkbill ladybug is one of the biggest workhorses in my collection.
Oh yeah! the MEERKAT that was one that I forgot to mention that I liked. I truly think that they could bring that one back and offer it up in different edges and I do believe it could be resurrected.

And the Cricket>> I've never seen a blade other than the Dodo for it's blade size that has as much utility uses as the Cricket. I don't use my Cricket but all my friends who own one swear by it. It's mostly gals I know that have gotten them either from me or some other source that have them but I do know of 2 guys that love that little blade as well.

The Cricket's popularity and longevity is truly remarkable. Hey Does anyone remember the SPUR??? that was one great small blade design that truly got lost through the cracks.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Ladybug in zdp was truly amazing. The SB version I just got show promise too but it hasn't received enough use for me to say if he's as durable as the zdp. Anyhow, both are absolutely great little knife doing most daily task at perfection. Cutting cardboard is a breeze, as opening letters, cutting small tie-wrap and 1/2 rope. Only thing it doesn't do well for me is food prep.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Invective

Post by Invective »

I definitely agree. My first ever Spydies were a Jester and a Cat. I got them while still in college so I had to have small carries and they got joined by a MeerKat, CoPilot, and recently a Solo 5. No other company makes a small knife that I find to be comfortable, although there are a few Benchmades I want to try out, but a new Spydie always seems to come up.

Additionally, I am looking forward to all the small folders that are upcoming as well, The Chubby, Dogtag Folder, Rubicon, and Firefly are all ones I am sure to pick up as soon as they come out!
bearfacedkiller

I am curious about the Dogtag too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ned

Post by Ned »

I really have a soft spot in my heart for the Spyderco LBK's (little big knives) they are great! I love my ZDP-Manbug, D'fly, Squeak, Jester, Urban, Lava, Balance, and I too am curious about that Dogtag! :)
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ned wrote:I really have a soft spot in my heart for the Spyderco LBK's (little big knives) they are great! I love my ZDP-Manbug, D'fly, Squeak, Jester, Urban, Lava, Balance, and I too am curious about that Dogtag! :)
Hey you really hit on one of my all time favorites in the small blade category and that being Chad's (Daywalker), LAVA design. The LAVA is truly one of the most ergonomic designs that they have done. Nothing so far do I like better than my Dodo models in small blades but the LAVA is a super-functional short blade that can do a lot. You just have to EDC one of these great blades like I did the day I took my Dodo out for the first time as an EDC. I was not only pleasantly surprised I was literally converted.

You guys also make reference to the Ladybug, Manbug and the Jester>> I personally don't have any use for blades quite that small but I do have a lot of respect for them because everyone I know that has used any of those models always has something good to say about them.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:You guys also make reference to the Ladybug, Manbug and the Jester>> I personally don't have any use for blades quite that small but I do have a lot of respect for them because everyone I know that has used any of those models always has something good to say about them.
JD you most certainly need an FRN Jester on your keys when the Navy blue comes around in 2015.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I love the Michael Walkers. One of my first and still one of my all time favorite knives is the CF/ZDP MW.
On the hunt for...
JD Spydo

The SPUR: A Hidden Classic of Small Blades

Post by JD Spydo »

I will go on record as to proclaiming that I would bet that probably only one out of 50 Spyderheads even know that this one super classic ever even existed>> that model I'm speaking of is the SPUR. The SPUR is a small version of the classic PROGRIP. It's as though Spyderco themselves tried to hide it from everyone>> I do know that isn't the case but it does seem that way.

Just like the stainless handled RESCUE is a hidden classic among Spyderedged blades the SPUR is truly a hidden classic in the small blade sector.

I've owned a couple of them and deeply regret trading them. It was extremely handy for a small blade and very versatile.
bearfacedkiller

The Balance is a cool design and I like mine. I have been wanting to pick up a Spin for a while now too.
-Darby
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:JD you most certainly need an FRN Jester on your keys when the Navy blue comes around in 2015.
There is one of the super small Spyders I wouldn't mind having not only on my key ring but I sure wish I would have kept the 2 I had for the main collection. I'm speaking of the Burgundy Micarta Jester>> of all the small Spyders I ever had in my collection that Burgundy Micarta Jester truly was a collector's dream and I bet they are about as rare as an honest car salesman now a days. I haven't seen one for sale or trade in almost 3 years now.

I'm not sure if the Burgundy Micarta Jester was the only super-small Spyder with a Micarta handle but I've not seen many of them. If I were to go for one of the tiny Spyders that would be the one.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote:One of my all time favorites was and still is the Dodo.
I love my Dodos as well, but I never considered them "small knives". The blade is short, but with full size handle it works like a big knife. Among small knives my favorites are Kopa, which started my Spyderco addiction and Jester.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Splice wrote: My H1 hawkbill ladybug is one of the biggest workhorses in my collection.
I do not have that one; more is the pity.
I do have a couple of the black FRN VG10 bladed Ladybug hawkbill jobs.
Ladybug hawkbills are the best of the smallest IMHO. Very capable little non conspicuous big knives that bat way above the average. I carry one of mine often into non knife friendly territory & things just appear to come apart in my hands & no one sees a knife. :D
O.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I adore all my current Spydies. Ones like the Dragonfly, Ladybug and Balance are extremely handy for not taking up much pocket space.

That said, I don't know if they are "undisputed". On a literal level of course few things are. On a rhetorical level while I do not prefer them, knives like the Swiss Army Classic offers a ton of functionality in a very unobtrusive package.