Spyderco: The Undisputed King Of Small Blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:You mean like this one? :) I agree, JD, these are some classic Spydies.
Yeah TED that's the one!! I'm surprised that someone came forth that actually has a SPUR. You just can't believe how many people I talk to that are avid Spyderheads and they don't even know that the SPUR model even exists. But TED you must realize you're only about one in 50 collectors that snagged one. What is really weird about is the fact that the SPUR looks like a typical Spyder in many ways. You would think that a lot of collectors would have snagged that one. Not to mention that it's pretty decent user model as well.

Mine came in one of those earlier blue boxes like the original Mariner and GIN-1 Harpy came in. I haven't even seen those type of boxes in a while as well. I would definitely hold on to that one TED>> It's going to be like the original "R" knife>> there will be a day it will be highly sought after and it will become a mega-collector piece.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
SpaceInvader

Post by SpaceInvader »

> Not a very fair comparison in my humble opinion...

I specifically chose two small knives of nearly equal size, that are of the same class, so to speak. That's unfair? I believe the Spydies you cited as alternatives are an apples to oranges comparison to the Osprey. Since we are talking really small knives, small differences are meaningful.

C27
Blade steel: ATS-34
Blade Length: 2 5/8″
Length open: 6"
Length closed: 3 1/2″
Blade thickness: ?

Kopa
Blade steel: VG-10
Blade length: 2.438"
Length open: 5.812"
Length closed: 3.438"
Blade thickness: .125"

In closed length, they exceed the Osprey by about 1.2"; open length: 1.8"-2" greater; blade length: 0.8"-1" greater. So relative to the Osprey they are nearly 50% larger in these measurements. If you're shopping for a keychain knife, that's significant.

Actually the point of my post was to express how highly I regard the Jester, which is what the OP called for, even though I thought the thread's title was a bit grandiose. I thought the knife comparison might add some context to the use of such superlatives.

No doubt variety of models distinguishes Spyderco from its peers, but the thread isn't titled Spyderco is the undisputed king of variety in small knives. I admire Spyderco for the chances they take in design, the way they push the envelope, but I don't think this is universally valued by the public in general, or even a majority of knife nuts in particular.

-Rick
JD Spydo

Small Fixed Blades? Better Yet Small Specialty Fixed Blades

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm willing to bet that if Spyderco did more small fixed blades that they would truly make a new market of sorts. It's been a while since the SPOT model was in the main line up>> to me it was kind of like a fixed blade Cricket model. With 2 different variants of the model it gave people a selection of a high end model and a moderate version as well. I don't know if many people would regard the SWICK as a small fixed blade but it's at least borderline.

I would like to see them do one of the 2 projects. Either a fixed blade version of the Dodo model or a small fixed blade Hawkbill. I do think that would really spice up their selection and would probably sell well too.

When it comes to folders I think we currently have a lot to choose from. And with Spyderco's fixed blades getting more recognition it just seems like new small fixed blades might be the next market to explore. With some new Small Specialty fixed blades like the 2 that I mentioned would truly be a new market that really hasn't been tested that much. The more I think about a fixed blade Dodo the more I like the idea and I do believe I have a few of you who would agree with me.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

SpaceInvader wrote:> Not a very fair comparison in my humble opinion...

I specifically chose two small knives of nearly equal size, that are of the same class, so to speak. That's unfair? I believe the Spydies you cited as alternatives are an apples to oranges comparison to the Osprey. Since we are talking really small knives, small differences are meaningful.

C27
Blade steel: ATS-34
Blade Length: 2 5/8″
Length open: 6"
Length closed: 3 1/2″
Blade thickness: ?

Kopa
Blade steel: VG-10
Blade length: 2.438"
Length open: 5.812"
Length closed: 3.438"
Blade thickness: .125"

In closed length, they exceed the Osprey by about 1.2"; open length: 1.8"-2" greater; blade length: 0.8"-1" greater. So relative to the Osprey they are nearly 50% larger in these measurements. If you're shopping for a keychain knife, that's significant.

Actually the point of my post was to express how highly I regard the Jester, which is what the OP called for, even though I thought the thread's title was a bit grandiose. I thought the knife comparison might add some context to the use of such superlatives.

No doubt variety of models distinguishes Spyderco from its peers, but the thread isn't titled Spyderco is the undisputed king of variety in small knives. I admire Spyderco for the chances they take in design, the way they push the envelope, but I don't think this is universally valued by the public in general, or even a majority of knife nuts in particular.

-Rick
Not trying to argue, but...if we're going for smallest size here, then:

Spyderco Bug

Blade Length: 1.3 inches
Length Open: 2.8 inches
Length Closed: 1.6 inches
Weight: 0.4 ounces

Al Mar Osprey

Blade Length: 1.6 inches
Length Open: 3.9 inches
Length Closed: [not provided by Al Mar]
Weight: 0.5 ounces

Now the Bug is not very classy. But what about the Jester, Ladybug, and Manbug? Not going to list the specs for them all, but they're tiny, and there are tons of options to choose from, including serrated/combo edge/plain edge. The Osprey only comes in plain edge.

And as far as steel...Aus 8? In a $120 knife? Seriously? Spyderco gives you a superior steel for a fraction of the price tag.

Anyway, like I said, not trying to argue; I just think that the facts point to Spyderco as superior in nearly every aspect. YMMV. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MachSchnell wrote:For small knives, I think they should really be under 2.5".

Lately the I've using the Air and the new Dice (though marginally over 2.5" limit) and find them great work users.
Just picked up a pair of Kiwi 3's from CS for $20 a piece and hope to see how well they perform.
Well OK I won't necessarily argue with you and perhaps you do have a valid point. However I don't deem this thread as "Brain Surgery Serious" or something that qualifies for law books by any means. I do many of these threads here on the Spyderco forum for amusement, comeradery, learning and to some degree entertainment or just friends getting together for a chat. But you might just very well be right about the parameters that really determines the criteria and legitimate definition of what should be referred to as a small blade.

But please do try to understand where I'm coming from personally. I spent my entire high school, college and young adulthood carrying a full sized Buck model 110 and I also carried a twin blade Ka-bar as well. I hardly ever carried folders that were smaller than what I just described even as a teenager. Because I grew up in community where we all hunted and fished a lot. I even used to wear my Buck knife to school with me back in the 70s if you can believe that. So to me anything that is the size of a Delica or smaller is what I regard as a small bladed knife ( folder or fixed blade).

To me the Jester, Ladybug, Manbug are all what I call either micro blades or tiny blades and they are nothing more to me than novelties. To me something that small I have very little use for and would probably never use anything smaller than a C-39 Dyad Jr. of which I did carry one of those from time to time for a while. But the point I'm trying to make is that Spyderco has many small bladed knives that are not only practical, useful and they have small designs like the Dodo that can do a lot of what can be done with a bigger blade. But I think most of you all get the jest of what I'm talking about on this thread.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I know where you're coming from JD :) A huge amount of satisfaction and utility can be garnered from the smaller bladed models :D Definitions don't need to be strict ;) It's all about enjoyment and appreciation :)
JD Spydo wrote:Well OK I won't necessarily argue with you and perhaps you do have a valid point. However I don't deem this thread as "Brain Surgery Serious" or something that qualifies for law books by any means. I do many of these threads here on the Spyderco forum for amusement, comeradery, learning and to some degree entertainment or just friends getting together for a chat. But you might just very well be right about the parameters that really determines the criteria and legitimate definition of what should be referred to as a small blade.

But please do try to understand where I'm coming from personally. I spent my entire high school, college and young adulthood carrying a full sized Buck model 110 and I also carried a twin blade Ka-bar as well. I hardly ever carried folders that were smaller than what I just described even as a teenager. Because I grew up in community where we all hunted and fished a lot. I even used to wear my Buck knife to school with me back in the 70s if you can believe that. So to me anything that is the size of a Delica or smaller is what I regard as a small bladed knife ( folder or fixed blade).

To me the Jester, Ladybug, Manbug are all what I call either micro blades or tiny blades and they are nothing more to me than novelties. To me something that small I have very little use for and would probably never use anything smaller than a C-39 Dyad Jr. of which I did carry one of those from time to time for a while. But the point I'm trying to make is that Spyderco has many small bladed knives that are not only practical, useful and they have small designs like the Dodo that can do a lot of what can be done with a bigger blade. But I think most of you all get the jest of what I'm talking about on this thread.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Donut

Post by Donut »

I love LBK's.

For a while, I thought the Lava fit my hand like a glove. Upon holding the blue one, I realized that my one finger doesn't land on the handle because the handle is curved quite a bit to allow access to the hole while closed.

There are quite a few grip and blade options for small knives. You get a 2.5 finger grip with the Grasshopper, Jester, Ladybug and Manbug. You can add a simple small lanyard with any of these knives to give you a virtual 4 finger grip. (I will get a picture of this.) You get a 3.5 finger grip with the Dragonfly with a leaf blade and the same blade length as the Ladybug.

You get a 3 finger grip with the Pingo and Squeak. The Lava and Meerkat offer a 4 finger grip with a very small blade. The Pingo, Lava and Meerkat offer a wide, short, leaf blade. The Pingo has a hint of flat edge at the butt of the blade. I LOVE that flat edge in use and was praying for the Lava sprint to have it.

The Native is pretty awesome with a 2.5 inch edge and the handle is JUST big enough to offer a full grip. It carries a little big for a small knife, but it offers just enough of everything.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
There are quite a few grip and blade options for small knives. You get a 2.5 finger grip with the Grasshopper, Jester, Ladybug and Manbug. You can add a simple small lanyard with any of these knives to give you a virtual 4 finger grip. (I will get a picture of this.) You get a 3.5 finger grip with the Dragonfly with a leaf blade and the same blade length as the Ladybug.

You get a 3 finger grip with the Pingo and Squeak. The Lava and Meerkat offer a 4 finger grip with a very small blade. The Pingo, Lava and Meerkat offer a wide, short, leaf blade. The Pingo has a hint of flat edge at the butt of the blade. I LOVE that flat edge in use and was praying for the Lava sprint to have it.

The Native is pretty awesome with a 2.5 inch edge and the handle is JUST big enough to offer a full grip. It carries a little big for a small knife, but it offers just enough of everything.
Hey Donut if you were looking for something the size and scope of the LAVA to EDC then I would highly recommend to you to try the Dodo as an EDC. Now before you laugh or blow me off as a whack job just consider something here>> When I for the first time EDCed a Dodo I was extremely skeptical that the blade #1 I thought it was just too small to accomplish anything of sizable cutting job>> and boy was I wrong there. Also I thought the blade design was too much like a micro-hawkbill and thus I was going to get the worst of both worlds>> again I was wrong. In a very pleasant surprise I became a huge fan of the Dodo almost overnight. I still carry my blue PE version about once or twice a month and if I could get my hands on an older Spyderedged version I would probably use it as a companion blade for a while over the SE TASMAN and SE Spyderhawk that I am rotating at this time.

That handle design on the Dodo is so ergonomic it just blows me away. Eric G really did up a masterpiece with that model and that handle is one of my very favorite out of all the Spyderco line to be sure. I would love to see a Dodo in a bigger/larger scale. The present model is super but I bet a bigger model would be a fisherman's dream blade. It might even hurt the sales of the Harpy and other Hawkbills. That is a prime example of "looks being deceiving". I really love the needle point tip of that Dodo. and if you get that belly sharp there isn't hardly anything you can't cut with that bad boy.

Donut go ahead and test drive one and let us know what you think. If the Lava would have had a handle similar to the one the Dodo has I would probably never traded the 2 I had. I am not going to rest until I find a Spyderedged Dodo to be sure.
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

My small Spyderco. Love them.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If the Dodo was a wharncliffe or leaf but same handle it would be top 5 Spyderco EDC of all time. It is still bad *** in its own right and uniqueness, but the ergos are too good to never see another blade shape besides reverse S
Holland

Post by Holland »

twinboysdad wrote:If the Dodo was a wharncliffe or leaf but same handle it would be top 5 Spyderco EDC of all time. It is still bad *** in its own right and uniqueness, but the ergos are too good to never see another blade shape besides reverse S
I 100% agree with you
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I've collected quite allot of LBK's over the past 2-3 years.
I must say the Meerkat, Dragonfly and Manbug are definately in my top 3
Number 1 being the Dragonfly. Hands down.

I do like my ATS-55 one better than my VG-10 one.
It doesn't have the jimping on it yet and that makes for a great flow in the design.
Opened and closed.
Jimping is critical on a bigger folder, but the Dragonfly is one of the rare ones I like better without it.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:Hey Donut if you were looking for something the size and scope of the LAVA to EDC then I would highly recommend to you to try the Dodo as an EDC. Now before you laugh or blow me off as a whack job just consider something here>> When I for the first time EDCed a Dodo I was extremely skeptical that the blade #1 I thought it was just too small to accomplish anything of sizable cutting job>> and boy was I wrong there. Also I thought the blade design was too much like a micro-hawkbill and thus I was going to get the worst of both worlds>> again I was wrong. In a very pleasant surprise I became a huge fan of the Dodo almost overnight. I still carry my blue PE version about once or twice a month and if I could get my hands on an older Spyderedged version I would probably use it as a companion blade for a while over the SE TASMAN and SE Spyderhawk that I am rotating at this time.

That handle design on the Dodo is so ergonomic it just blows me away. Eric G really did up a masterpiece with that model and that handle is one of my very favorite out of all the Spyderco line to be sure. I would love to see a Dodo in a bigger/larger scale. The present model is super but I bet a bigger model would be a fisherman's dream blade. It might even hurt the sales of the Harpy and other Hawkbills. That is a prime example of "looks being deceiving". I really love the needle point tip of that Dodo. and if you get that belly sharp there isn't hardly anything you can't cut with that bad boy.

Donut go ahead and test drive one and let us know what you think. If the Lava would have had a handle similar to the one the Dodo has I would probably never traded the 2 I had. I am not going to rest until I find a Spyderedged Dodo to be sure.
JD, I have a factory seconds Carbon Fiber Dodo that I carry to the gym with me every day. :p (Well, pretty much every day that I go.)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Where is the line in the sand for the LBK? At what point does the size no longer qualify? Considering I am comfortable carrying my Military or Tuff or Police, or Spyderhawk.... my perception of LBK has become skewed. I consider my Natives as well as the Caly Jr. as the upper end of the LBK scale. Certainly the Kopa and Dragonfly qualify, but what about larger? Where does the Bradley AIR fall into the mix?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe with larger than a 2" blade we would consider those to be MBK's.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

As promised, a little late.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote:It seems strange that the only Jester with a Micarta handle was the one Burgundy model.
Joe,
Few years ago Spyderco made a sprint of baby Goddard with Burgundy micarta scales as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote: The Native is pretty awesome with a 2.5 inch edge and the handle is JUST big enough to offer a full grip. It carries a little big for a small knife, but it offers just enough of everything.
Brian,
It is great to see your appreciation to Native, but I never thought about Natives as LBK.

Back to the topic. Without of doubts during 30 years history of Spyderco, the company produced many great LBK, unfortunately all of my favorites are discontinued:
Kopa
Dodo
Jester
Lava
MeerKat

Many more, which were mentioned in this thread are gone from line-up as well. Out of current production of LBK closest to my liking will be Dragonfly, but as long as I have my Kopas I am not likely will buy one, unless I decide to make ZDP run :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian