Beach knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
guitarwolf

Beach knife?

Post by guitarwolf »

Going beach camping for 3 days, which knife would you take?
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

tasman salt, pacific salt or a rock salt probably
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have an Aqua Salt, so I'd take that. If I did not, I'd still take a fixed blade, as rust resistant as possible.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ourgon

Post by ourgon »

Neck knife.
:spyder: Street Bowie
:spyder: Street Beat
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Starmate 440V
:spyder: Police SS
:spyder: Endura IV FG
:spyder: ClipiTool
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Aqua Salt
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I would probably take a SE Pacific Salt.

If it will be car camping on a beach (pay for a pad and camp next to it), I would take a can of compressed air and some lubricant. Sand gets everywhere.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have tried a few different combinations at the beach and these two are what I normally settle on. I however, have not been in a camping environment so your mileage may vary.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Salt 1!

JD Spydo

Vagabond in h-!

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:I have an Aqua Salt, so I'd take that. If I did not, I'd still take a fixed blade, as rust resistant as possible.
Yeah I tend to agree with you on the fixed blade selection Deacon. You're right there are a lot fewer moving parts and tightly machined parts to worry about salt water corrosion.

Now that you've mentioned that wouldn't it be nice if they would bring back the VAGABOND model in H-1>> or better yet the Temperance 1 model in H-1 like I've been beating the drum for in the past 3 years.

But seriously the VAGABOND size wise would be perfect for diving, snorkeling and just general use around the water. It's an interesting item to think about anyway.

If you do take a folder in salt water you definitely MUST rinse it out completely with fresh water and then I would soak it in Dawn dishwashing soap water and lube the moving parts after use>> otherwise you'll be very sorry I can assure you.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
nccole

Post by nccole »

I clipped this to a little pocket while swimming in the ocean a few weeks back. Rinsed out the sand that made it a bit gritty and it was back to new.

glbpro

Post by glbpro »

A Salt 1 or a Pacific salt :)
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

JD Spydo wrote:If you do take a folder in salt water you definitely MUST rinse it out completely with fresh water and then I would soak it in Dawn dishwashing soap water and lube the moving parts after use>> otherwise you'll be very sorry I can assure you.
Uhhh...nope.

I took the ol' Salt 1 in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico at least 6 times on a past trip. The above picture was taken of the knife under water at the Sombrero Reef in the Florida Keys.

I never rinsed it out...

Here is an exploded view of it...judge the corrosion level for yourself. The clip is Ti, and whatever the hardware is made out of, it doesn't rust. :) (Bad lighting on the picture; it make parts of the blade look rusted, but it isn't.)

Ned

Post by Ned »

Depends on the situation, if there will be a lot of people around take a plain jane kitchen knife for food prep and an Salt 1 or Pacific Salt clipped to your shorts!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

Thanks for the ideas. I have a Salt 1 already so I'll definitely take that. I agree with bringing a fixed blade as I'll be starting all the fires. I've been looking at the Rock Salt as a fun choice. This will be car camping so I have the luxury of taking more stuff. I might take something fun to test because I'll have a pelican waterproof case.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I like the combo of Salt 1 and H1 DragonFly. Make sure that your Salts are screwed rather than pinned. Taking them apart voids the warranty, but makes it MUCH easier to get the grit and sand out.

TedP
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

My cpm m4 military is my dedicated beach camping knife. Well, it's my dedicated "everything knife" but it's a great camping knife also.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I use my vg10 dragonfly. VG10 is plenty stainless enough from my experience
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Holland wrote:I use my vg10 dragonfly. VG10 is plenty stainless enough from my experience
Do you go swimming in salt water with it?
Enkidude

car camping...

Post by Enkidude »

I think you will be fine with just a folder. Don't see the need for a fixed blade if you're car camping...
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

For camping the Aqua Salt, otherwise the Pacific SE. Both fantastic knives.