Brown G-10 Stretch "Test Model" observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Brown G-10 Stretch "Test Model" observations

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:Friar Phenn has a GB in that Spketch thread that has one of the sweetest looking custom handles I've ever seen.
If you mean the linen bolstered one, I concur...epic customization
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yup, that one is hot too, but I was talking about the third one from the left in that picture of 4.
spinynorman

Re: Re:

Post by spinynorman »

The Deacon wrote:
spinynorman wrote:Hi Paul, excellent writeup, and as a Stretch fan, I was wondering where could I get canvas micarta inlays like the ones shown on your 1st generation Stretch?

Thanks,
Doug
Hi Doug, the gentleman who did mine was Chase Axxin. Not sure if he's still "in the game", not sure he'd be willing to take on that particular job again. Not sure if there's anyone else out there who'd be willing to tackle it either. Simply put, it's a royal PITA. The irregular shape of the cutout alone would make it difficult, the oval "landing pad" for the clip probably ups that by a factor of 10. They work just fine, but fit looks a lot better in that photo than when viewed directly from the side.

Hi Paul, I'm sure making them was a royal pain!! Thanks, Doug

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jazz wrote:Those scales look great, Paul. Can't wait to see it together. I'm assuming the knife feels a bit odd with your carry method, given it's a wee bit longer?
Well Jazz, it landed here a couple hours ago. I took the photos below of it when it arrived. They don't show off the texture as well as I'd like them to, but I'll take some more later today. Been in my pocket since then, can't really notice any difference in "butt feel" between it and my others.

spinynorman wrote:Hi Paul, I'm sure making them was a royal pain!! Thanks, Doug
I'm sure it was, Doug. If I ever was looking to replace the Kraton on one again, I think the way to go would be to use a soft wood to fill the cutouts, level it off flush with the handle, then make slightly oversize overlays that would cover the landing pad and the "jog" in the cutout for the lockbar pivot.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Wow, what a beauty, congrats Deacon...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice!
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

Beautiful Paul.

sal
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Looks like a magnificent piece, Paul! Congrats!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 am
Jazz wrote:Those scales look great, Paul. Can't wait to see it together. I'm assuming the knife feels a bit odd with your carry method, given it's a wee bit longer?
Well Jazz, it landed here a couple hours ago. I took the photos below of it when it arrived. They don't show off the texture as well as I'd like them to, but I'll take some more later today. Been in my pocket since then, can't really notice any difference in "butt feel" between it and my others.

Hi Paul,

Apologies for this follow up from a 2015 thread, where Jazz asked how the knife, a Stretch with new scales, "feels" with your carry method.

If you don't mind me being nosy, what is your carry method? I remember reading in one of your posts a while back that you take your pocket clips off, but I don't think that it said why.

Thanks, Doug
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

spinynorman wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:45 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Hi Paul,

Apologies for this follow up from a 2015 thread, where Jazz asked how the knife, a Stretch with new scales, "feels" with your carry method.

If you don't mind me being nosy, what is your carry method? I remember reading in one of your posts a while back that you take your pocket clips off, but I don't think that it said why.

Thanks, Doug
I think that Paul is inactive these days.

He was a fan of removing the clip and dropping the knife in his right rear pocket, if memory serves. Something about clips affecting comfort, and not needing to whip out a knife swiftly.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

Thank you Kenneth! Cheers, Doug
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spinynorman wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:45 pm
The Deacon wrote:

Hi Paul,

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug,

As Kenneth noted, I mostly carry my knives loose in my left rear pocket, primarily because that's where I've carried a knife for about 70 years now. Although, for the past few years I've also been carrying a Civilian clipped in my right front pocket as an alternative lethal option in case of dog attack. As for the "feel" of the textured scales, I don't notice it when carrying, but it does add to the grip when using the knife. Mainly though, I think it just adds to the looks of the knife.

SKETCHENSCALES Black Palm Stretch Closed Left.JPG
SKETCHENSCALES Black Palm Stretch Closed Left.JPG
Attachments
SKETCHENSCALES Black Palm Stretch Closed Right.JPG
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cjk

Post by cjk »

Paul, That's gorgeous!!