Brown G-10 Stretch "Test Model" observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Brown G-10 Stretch "Test Model" observations

Post by The Deacon »

In his thread on the brown G-10/ZDP-189 "Test Model" Stretch, Sal had said he was going to mail it to me for evaluation after BLADE and, true to his word, it arrived here yesterday. Haven't had much chance to use it yet, but here are some initial observations.

Color -

I would describe it as a fairly dark brown, similar to the browns of the G-10 C54 Calypso Sprint and FRN KnifeCenter XHP Native, but slightly different from either of them. It has proven difficult to reproduce in a photo. Of the many pictures I've taken so far, the shot below is the only one that comes really close to it, at least on my monitor. Those of you who have one or both of the others can compare for yourselves.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Dimensions -

The knife weighs 4.625 oz. (130 grams) on my scale. The "official" weight may be a hair less, given that I show the FRN/VG-10 Stretch as weighing 3.5 oz. (98 grams) while Spyderco shows it at 3.4 oz. (95 grams). By Contrast the Nishijin GF Sprints weigh 4.0 oz. (116 grams) on my scale and the CF version weighs 3.875 oz. (112 grams). It is, however a bit lighter than the bolstered cocobolo version, which tips the scale at 4.875 oz. (138 grams).

The blade's thickness and length are identical to the FRN and CF versions, but the cutting edge is about 1/16" shorter. Its shape is similar, but still noticeably different in that it's wider and has a bit more belly and a higher thumb ramp. The handle is also similar, but different. It's about 3/16" longer and a hair deeper. The lock well has moved back by about 3/16" as well. I suspect those changes, rather than the scale material, account for most of the weight difference, although the liners may be slightly less skeletonized as well. Thickness is .392" according to my digital calipers. That compares with .367" for the Nishijin GF Sprints, .387" for the CF version, and .457" for the FRN Stretch. For whatever reason, the clip mounting holes for tip up carry are a bit further from the butt than on the current version, so a bit more of the knife is exposed if you carry that way. Clip mounting hole location for tip down carry, and thus exposure when carried that way, appears to be unchanged.

Some photos comparing it to earlier Stretch versions follow. Please keep in mind that the color of the brown G-10 in them is wrong, although much less so in the final picture than in the others.

[CENTER]Exposure:

Shape:

Size:

Image[/CENTER]

Initial impressions -

I will preface this by saying that I purchased my first Stretch over nine and a half years ago, have had one version or another in my pocket nine days out of ten ever since, and have done quite a bit of cutting with them. Perhaps because of that, I'm so totally accustomed to the feel of the original and current versions that, while changes look good and the deeper choil feels more secure, the knife feels less like an extension of my hand. The grip seems off, to me, especially when I choke up to use the choil. Beyond that, the relationship between the top of the handle and the Spyderhole, which was perfect for me on the earlier versions, has changed to the point that my thumb does not describe the same smooth, natural, arc when opening. Please, take all that with a grain of salt. I've sometimes chuckled when someone claimed that a 4 oz. folder felt great, but a 4.125 oz. one was too heavy, or that a .380" handle was comfortable in their pocket but a .400" one was uncomfortably thick and, for most folks, the differences that I'm describing on the Stretch are probably going to be equally insignificant. And, since Sal has mentioned that further "tweaking" is possible, perhaps even probable, there's a chance the production version will feel quite different.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks for the write-up and pics!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Thanks, Stretch is my most used folder also. Looking forward to this one. Looks nice.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
paladin

Post by paladin »

Very informative and not too technical, in other words, right up my alley...

Thanks a lot Paul
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thank you for your impressions Paul. The blade on the new Stretch reminds me of the bladeshape on the drop point slipits. As a fellow die-hard Stretch fan I probably will end up with one of these regardless of the changes, and I'm curious to see how this version will turn out.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks Paul! Awesome writeup
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I like it A Lot.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thanks Paul.. Super of you to take the time and effort for this review!! NICE!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

THX Much Mr. Deacon!

Very accurate 'initial' impressions.

Looks to me like 'Changing Everything Just to Keep Everything the Same'.
:)
Stay Sharp!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Great write-up and pics Paul. I appreciate that you were able to appreciate the obvious and also more subtle changes that Sal made. It's also interesting your hand has such hard memory for the original version(s). May I request a side by side pic similar to the third one down (middle of the three pics) where they face the same way? Thanks! Paul
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

I'm jelious! This is the knife I have been waiting for them to make forever! Even the color I want! I hope the production model looks just like this. If not Sal please make one for me too!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Very nice! I like the slightly larger handle and increased radius of the curve near the butt of the knife. The black clip will look great against a very dark blue (or black if blue can't be achieved with Rit dye) dyed handle. I will buy a CF version for sure if that is also released and also perhaps even a G10 version to dye. If the CF doesn't materialize then I'll just have to stick with a dyed G10 which should also be OK.

But after seeing it against the blue Nishijin & Damascus (which I also have) it does make me hope for a Damascus version as well with premium scales sometime in the future (Woven CF over G10 a 'la Domino or maybe dark green Nishijin :D - if it exists?).

Of course with a finite knife budget I would be happy to wait for more Sprint versions down the road. There are just too many nice new Spyderco's coming out in the next year or so from what I saw of the Amsterdam pictures by Mr. Blonde. My wallet will be aching over the next year as it is.

Late Edit after seeing RadioactiveSpyder's post below: I guess with a liner/slabbed version I could even swap out the scales for some nice stabilized burled maple as well - that would make for a truly unique and beautiful Stretch.
RadioactiveSpyder

Oh yes, a Stretch that we common folks can customize the scales on! It may not have bolsters, but we can now dream of other cocobolo Stretches ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Looks great! I like the deeper choil a lot!
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Thank you for the very nice review. The Stretch is one of the most ergonomic and comfortable :spyder: and I hope the next model will target more of the same. My blue ZDP-189 is seeing a lot of pocket time lately.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks everyone. And a huge thanks to Sal for allowing me the opportunity to play with this knife.
Mr Blonde wrote:Thank you for your impressions Paul. The blade on the new Stretch reminds me of the bladeshape on the drop point slipits. As a fellow die-hard Stretch fan I probably will end up with one of these regardless of the changes, and I'm curious to see how this version will turn out.
I'm sure I will be getting one (or more) as well. And now that you mention it, yes, the blade shape does look more like the UKPK DP.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Great write-up and pics Paul. I appreciate that you were able to appreciate the obvious and also more subtle changes that Sal made. It's also interesting your hand has such hard memory for the original version(s). May I request a side by side pic similar to the third one down (middle of the three pics) where they face the same way? Thanks! Paul
Here you go...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

...I included one of the "1st generation" Stretches, modified with brown canvas micarta inlay, as well since they were even a bit shorter than the current, "2nd generation" version.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Oh yes, a Stretch that we common folks can customize the scales on! It may not have bolsters, but we can now dream of other cocobolo Stretches ;)
True, and you could always do the faux bolster look by using two different woods or CF at the front and wood behind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Looks good. I'll be waiting for the changes to trickle down to the FRN version which I'm guessing is a year or two off. Thanks for sharing.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Thank you Paul, exactly the pic I was hoping for. I'll have to check the other thread for this answer, but they were intending on releasing this as a G10 version as well as shifting the FRN molds (moulds?), right? Showing this to us without that possibility would just be cruel! :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Nice write up Paul. I too find that the Stretch has a perfect position of hole and pivot to make for a super easy deployment. Maybe that is something that can be tweaked back to the old measurements...

It's nice looking, I like the little more belly and the extra handle length...but not being a fan of choils, I'm not overly thrilled by it. I gotta say I'd love to see a completely choil-less version of the Stretch. I would probably be set for life...

Thanks for the write up and thanks Sal for lettering us see the new changes!
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have somewhat fallen out of love with the Stretch, but this seems like a pretty quality model.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!